John Proctor

Default Koden MD-3600 Radar

Group,

I've started back into marine electronics fitting and repair again. We
have an older scanner MRT-136) that is part of an MD-3600 radar system.
The radome got wet (yes Larry other manufacturers do get wet from time
to time). The owner want's us to have a look at it but the local Koden
distributor doesn't have any manuals going that far back. Does anyone
have a service manual or know of where I can find one for the scanner?

--
Regards,
John Proctor VK3JP, VKV6789

Bruce in Alaska

In article 2005072120424116807%lost@nowhereorg,
John Proctor wrote:

Group,

I've started back into marine electronics fitting and repair again. We
have an older scanner MRT-136) that is part of an MD-3600 radar system.
The radome got wet (yes Larry other manufacturers do get wet from time
to time). The owner want's us to have a look at it but the local Koden
distributor doesn't have any manuals going that far back. Does anyone
have a service manual or know of where I can find one for the scanner?

If you have some experience with small commercial xband marine radars
you shouldn't need a manual to figure out what quit in the T/R Pan on a
Koden Radar. They are very similar in design to the JRC, as well as the
Furuno's of the same period. Take a scope and look for the TRansmitter
Trigger Pulses coming up the line from the display, and follow them thru
to the Modulator Switcher, and then check the RF output of the Magnitron
with an NE2 neon bulb. For receive, just see if you have noise comming
down the video coax from the IF amp, and monitor, either the Crystal
Current, or if this has a LNB, put your scope on the output of the LNB
and look for pulses and grass in between the pulses. Most of the old
hands have an Xband RF Test Box that can simulate Xband RF Target
Returns, to the antenna port, as well as minitor the RF output from the
cirulator. Having the right test equipment is essential in working in
the Marine Electronics Field.....

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
Lynn Coffelt

Having the right test equipment is essential in working in
the Marine Electronics Field.....

Hmmmm......... The guys that showed me the ropes used a Simpson 260 with a
battered leather case, an earphone and a wet finger. (Oh, yeah, as you
mentioned, an NE-2 taped to the end of a diddle stick)
Old Chief Lynn, Anacortes Marine Electronics (for 20 years)

Me

In article ,
"Lynn Coffelt" wrote:

Hmmmm......... The guys that showed me the ropes used a Simpson 260 with a
battered leather case, an earphone and a wet finger. (Oh, yeah, as you
mentioned, an NE-2 taped to the end of a diddle stick)
Old Chief Lynn, Anacortes Marine Electronics (for 20 years)

What, you taped yours to a diddle stick??? We always just held them
in our fingers out in front of the waveguide flange..... Well not on
40Kw Decca 404's.... but all the rest.....

Hmmm, sounds like an old timer....The really good techs came from
Northern Radio, Radar Electric, and Raytheon Marine back in the 60's and
70's. I am an old Northern Man, and one of the few "Old Boys" left.
Don Hollingsworth Sr. is still around at G & L Marine, and he is a
Raytheon transplant. Billy Pulse came from the end of the era Radar
Electric shop. That's about it for that generation, that still practice
the "Art" of Marine Electronics. Same with the "Regulators". (FCC)
After the closing of RegionX in Kirkland, there just isn't anyone left
that really understands the Marine Mobile Radio Service. Bob Dietch,
Bob Zenes, Gary Solsby, Bill Johnson, and even Denny Anderson have all
retired.

Me getting old is a Bitch......all the good guys just die off....
Doug

"Lynn Coffelt" wrote in message
Having the right test equipment is essential in working in
the Marine Electronics Field.....

Hmmmm......... The guys that showed me the ropes used a Simpson 260 with a
battered leather case, an earphone and a wet finger. (Oh, yeah, as you
mentioned, an NE-2 taped to the end of a diddle stick)
Old Chief Lynn, Anacortes Marine Electronics (for 20 years)

I learned it with two fingers and the length/color of the arc.
Old Senior Chief Doug

Doug

No luck on that model Koden here, had some 3400 series stuff though. Try a
Sitex shop...they may have the Koden info.

Speaking of Bill Pulse...he bought up at the EchoTec remnants, drawings,
parts, etc., and now does flat rate repair on them from his firm Radar
Marine in Bellingham, WA.

Did you ever know Bill Halleck, Portland FCC Engineer in Charge? He retired
in the late 50s or early 60s.

Doug K7ABX

"Me" wrote in message
In article ,
"Lynn Coffelt" wrote:

[...]

Lynn Coffelt

"Doug" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Lynn Coffelt" wrote in message
Having the right test equipment is essential in working in
the Marine Electronics Field.....

Hmmmm......... The guys that showed me the ropes used a Simpson 260 with

battered leather case, an earphone and a wet finger. (Oh, yeah, as you
mentioned, an NE-2 taped to the end of a diddle stick)
Old Chief Lynn, Anacortes Marine Electronics (for 20 years)

I learned it with two fingers and the length/color of the arc.
Old Senior Chief Doug

Oh, Wow! Doug, that technique was never taught at this outpost. But
studying, with crossed eyes, the arc reaching the tip of one's nose was
instructional.

Jerry Writer told me that you could count the number of "real" radar
techs on the West Coast on the fingers of one hand. Jim Manwaring was one of
them, were you one of the others?

Old Chief Lynn

AndyK.

"Doug" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Lynn Coffelt" wrote in message
Having the right test equipment is essential in working in
the Marine Electronics Field.....

Hmmmm......... The guys that showed me the ropes used a Simpson 260 with
battered leather case, an earphone and a wet finger. (Oh, yeah, as you
mentioned, an NE-2 taped to the end of a diddle stick)
Old Chief Lynn, Anacortes Marine Electronics (for 20 years)

I learned it with two fingers and the length/color of the arc.
Old Senior Chief Doug

I saw the results of a MARS operator closing a TR relay in a Henry linear
one time using his fingers. Looked like a bbq hotdog.

+1 on the Simpson 260, digital meters don't see everything.

Andy (aging ETC Ret)

Me

In article . net,
"Doug" wrote:

Did you ever know Bill Halleck, Portland FCC Engineer in Charge? He retired
in the late 50s or early 60s.

Doug K7ABX

Nope, a bit before my time, for that far away from Seattle.... There was
a Peter Baliogen, and one other fellow, who's name escapes me, that were
RegionX guys from that era, but I only new one or two of the Portland
guys, and I can't really recall any of their names right off.. Used
to do a pile of SALAS Inspections with those guys every year, back before
Self Regulation came into being.... I still do a few for the Small
Passenger Ships that cruise around up here.....

Me who does reminis in his old age....
Doug

"Lynn Coffelt" wrote in message

Oh, Wow! Doug, that technique was never taught at this outpost. But
studying, with crossed eyes, the arc reaching the tip of one's nose was
instructional.

Jerry Writer told me that you could count the number of "real" radar
techs on the West Coast on the fingers of one hand. Jim Manwaring was one

of
them, were you one of the others?

Old Chief Lynn

Nope, not me. I did a small amount of radar and HF AM work in the late

50s, early 60s on the Oregon coast, and then spent 20 years in the US Navy,
retiring as a CTMCS. Did some part time marine work when I was stationed in
the Aleutians in 70-72 and in Maine 76-84. I have only been into it full
time for about 4 years now, after high tech manufacturing crashed in this
area.
Had an installer come begging for a digital VOM the other day as his went
"over the side". I handed him a Simpson 260. He looked puzzled and asked
what that antique does. He was Air Force trained, so guess that explains it.
He declined my offer as it was "too complex".

73
Doug K7ABX