Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
chuck

Before you cut into the boat, are the speakers magnetically
shielded so as not to interfere with your compass?

Jeff Morris wrote:
Jay wrote:

So I finally found a set of speakers that seemed like a good enough
deal and they came in last week. I'm wondering if anyone has any
input/experience installing speakers. They aren't flush mount which
needs I'll need to be cutting a few holes... some of my curiosity lies
in wondering if there's any certain saw blades one should use for
cutting fiberglass.... I was going to just drill a few holes to start
a hand jig saw... maybe tape up the area with duck tape to avoid
scratching.. other than that I didn't really know if there was
anything one should take precaution with.

I've used a RotoZip for this - much easier than a Sabre Saw. If its
simple glass it goes through it very quickly. Mine were in the cockpit
seats which had a 1/2 ply backing, so I went though 3 or 4 bits for both
holes. Tape the area with masking tape, draw your circle, and have a
helper with a vacuum to keep the dust down.

Also, though they weigh a couple pounds each, should I worry much
about providing some of support to the backing... like a brace to
dissipate weight on the fiberglass walls?

You shouldn't need support, but you could glass in some marine ply
before or after you make your hole.

SSB Installation Jerry Peters Cruising 2 February 9th 05 04:01 PM
Trysail Track Installation JAWs Cruising 11 May 28th 04 03:24 PM
FS: Marine PA Speaker in NY Bobsprit Marketplace 0 March 31st 04 03:26 PM
vhf ext speaker mike hicks General 3 September 6th 03 03:30 PM