mike hicks

Default vhf ext speaker

I have an Icom M45 VHF radio on my 20' runabout and although the radio
itself is great, the little built-in speaker is very nearly worthless
when I'm underway. It's loud enough at the dock but I can't hear a
thing while I'm moving, even if I sit down behind the windshield. This
was driving me nuts until a friend suggested getting the Icom SP-24
external speaker. This thing costs almost $50 which I thought was nuts
but he had put one on his boat and it seemed to work well (he has a 502)
so I went ahead and got one (from Consumers online marine - I think).
It really makes a difference. I can really turn the volume up loud
with it and actually hear the radio. With the built-in speaker it would
just distort. It is expensive, a little big and hard to find but it has
made my VHF radio a lot more useable. I still think the only thing that
will let me really hear the radio clearly while under way is a headset -
but it would give me a funky headset tan.

Jim

Poly Planar makes a variety of low cost extension speakers that will plug right into
your VHF and deliver remarkable voice. The smaller one costs under $20 and is more
than adequate (I have one).

All the major boat stores sell them.

"mike hicks" wrote in message
[...]

Richard Malcolm

glad you posted this. I have the same problem and been meaning to do
this for the past 2 summers. would I also be able to use the speaker
as a PA to remind those boaters to get out of my slip when I return.
(my marina has a great resturant)
Paul

Just open one of their seacocks and, after nature takes its course, park
right above them.

Make sure to act all innocent when they come to get their boat, ask them how
dinner was.

om...