Doug

"Bruce in Alaska" wrote in message
In article ,
krj wrote:

All Icom M710 transceivers mfg. since July 2002 are a type accepted
marine transceiver that has the ham bands enabled by Icom. NO software
uploads required. No "opening" of the radio required. It is legal for
the Marine bands if you have a ships radio license and Restricted Radio
operators license, and legal for the ham bands if you have a general or
higher ham license.
krj

Yep, that is EXACTLY right. This is a case where no Modifications are
made or needed, and Type Acceptance would still be VALID for this radio.

Not the case for most other "Opened" radios.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

OK Guys, lets see legal the following is then: Standard HX-370S, Type
accepted for Part 80 VHF Marine FM and Part 90 Land Mobile VHF-FM, has 40
Dealer programmable Part 90 channels 137-174 Mhz. If I program in 2 meter
144-148 MHz ham band, Part 97, frequencies into the land mobile memory
channels, does this mean it is now no longer type accepted? I don't think
so.
Doug, K7ABX

Bruce in Alaska

In article , chuck
wrote:

Hello Bruce,

You must be a lawyer! I suspect that Doug was not
necessarily asking whether his older M710 is covered by the
newer Type Acceptance Certificate. I think he was asking
whether his older, open M710 is Type Accepted under *any*
certificate. This gets all the more interesting since I
believe Icom supplied the open M710s as an option and seemed
to claim they were type-accepted.

It is true that third parties and owners also opened some
M710s and it is an entirely different question whether that
invalidated the type acceptance. Let's stick with the M710s
that Icom sold as open first.

I understand your assertion that IF the early M710s were not
type-accepted in an open version, THEN the type acceptance
could be invalidated even if Icom opened them itself. What
has NOT been established is that there was in fact no type
acceptance of the early open versions. Can any of your
contacts shed any light on that question?

Thanks!

Chuck

Nope, not a Lawyer. I was, however, an FCC Field Agent for a number
of years. I also have been in the Marine Electronics Field for
over 35 years, in various capacities. I am now retired, and just
do Communications Consulting.

I do know a bunch of Communications Lawyers, however.......

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
Bruce in Alaska

In article . net,
"Doug" wrote:

OK Guys, lets see legal the following is then: Standard HX-370S, Type
accepted for Part 80 VHF Marine FM and Part 90 Land Mobile VHF-FM, has 40
Dealer programmable Part 90 channels 137-174 Mhz. If I program in 2 meter
144-148 MHz ham band, Part 97, frequencies into the land mobile memory
channels, does this mean it is now no longer type accepted? I don't think
so.
Doug, K7ABX

No, Doug. It isn't that you can program in channels that are not
covered under the Type Acceptance that invalidates the Type Acceptance.
It is, however, that ANY Physical MODIFICATION that changes any of the
Operational Charactoristics of the radio that invalidates the Type
Acceptance. In your case, as stated, you are not making any changes
to the radio itself, just adding frequencies to the memory of the radio.
This doesn't change the Operational Charactoristics of the radio, as it
is still exactly like it came from the OEM. If, however, you had to go
inside, and cut a diode, or flip a switch, or move a jumper, to add that
frequency, and that change needs to stay that way, in order to add the
programed channel, then you have MODIFIED, the radio and therfore
invalidated the Type Acceptance, for that radio.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
krj

All Icom M710 transceivers mfg. since July 2002 are a type accepted
marine transceiver that has the ham bands enabled by Icom. NO software
uploads required. No "opening" of the radio required. It is legal for
the Marine bands if you have a ships radio license and Restricted Radio
operators license, and legal for the ham bands if you have a general or
higher ham license.
krj

Bruce in Alaska wrote:
In article ,
"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote:

Not all that clear. The ICOM M-710 is "opened" by uploading software
mods. Are you saying that if these mods are uploaded by the factory
or a dealer then it is still Type Accepted, but if I do it myself then it is
not?

BTW, your shift key seems to be malfunctioning. Better have it checked
by a qualified technician

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

Geeez Doug, What does it take for you to understand, here?

The software that is running in the radio, IS part of the Operational
Interface, and if it is different than what was submitted to the FCC
during the Type Acceptance Proceedure, and different than the software
that was in the two submitted Representative Radios, then it is
considered a MODIFICATION by the FCC and would incalidate the
Type Acceptance of that radio when subsequently loaded in the radio
by ANYONE, even the OEM. The Radio isn't the same, when the different
software is loaded, unless that software was included in the Original,
or Subsequent Type Acceptance Proceedure by the OEM.

You can't modify the radio, in ANY substatial way after Type Acceptance
has been granted, and still have that Type Acceptance be Valid.

Bruce in alaska

I suspect that is because your world view is too America-centric
'Full' is the normal casual designation for the licence level that
allows maritime mobile operation issued by the licencing authority in
my part of the world. And it is a nice general word which, to me,
conveys the meaning.