chuck

Hello Larry,

You might want to qualify that statement. Ham rigs tend to
use finer tuning steps in their VFOs than type-accepted
marine radios (with the general frequency transmit option)
use in their VFOs, but it is just a matter of degree. Both
radios technically have VFOs that allow them to tune between
channels. As you know, there is absolutely nothing in an
"open", type-accepted Icom marine transceiver that would
prevent anyone from transmitting on any frequency covered by
the radio. And of course, there is the SGC 2000.

We probably need a more carefully worded statement of just
what type acceptance means in this regard (VFOs). Or are you
suggesting that "open" versions of the type-accepted marine
radios are no longer type-accepted?

Regards,

Chuck

Larry W4CSC wrote:

No radio with a VFO will get type acceptance for commercial use. It's how
the FCC keeps unqualified, non-technical operators away from other
services.....

Doug Dotson

I'm not familiar with the "full" ham class

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for these. I am in the process of obtaining a 'full' ham
licence. I am aware that the set is not type-approved for marine SSB.
Its principle function will be for ham use - but it would seem foolish
not to have the option to access both sets of frequencies should the
need arise.

I was really hoping for information along the lines of, 'its fandoogle
is very sensitive to damp and it will immediately loose its
transmodulatory capability in a marine environment'.

(I am aware of its potential for brain death due to its volatile ROM)

Doug Dotson

My ICOM-M710 can be tuned off frequency on the Marine SSB
channels. Not sure why that might be type accepted but a ham rig
doing the same thing is not. That's the general logic from the folks that
told me that many hams rigs are essentually type accepted.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

Larry W4CSC wrote:

No radio with a VFO will get type acceptance for commercial use. It's
how the FCC keeps unqualified, non-technical operators away from other
services.....

Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
Larry W4CSC wrote:

Most ham radios can tell when your local AM stations are out of tolerance,
now...(c; My Yaesu FT-990 with the high stability master oscillator
doesn't vary off WWV on 15 Mhz over a couple of cycles in a year!

This has absolulty nothing to do with the IMD Spec for Type Acceptance.
IMD is not Frequency Stability. Like I stated before Frequency
Stability hasn't been the probelm for 15 years.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
Bruce in Alaska

In article , chuck
wrote:

We probably need a more carefully worded statement of just
what type acceptance means in this regard (VFOs). Or are you
suggesting that "open" versions of the type-accepted marine
radios are no longer type-accepted?

Regards,

Chuck

Yes I am stating that as a "Fact", that "opened" versions of "Type
Accepted" Radios are not still Type Accepted. The owner, or operator,
is not allowed to change ANY Major Operational Charactoristic of
a "Type Accepted" radio and still have a "Valid Claim" of Type
Acceptance. This is so stated in the FCC's Rules that detail
what is allowed and what spec's are required to meet "Type Acceptance"
by the FCC Chief Engineer, and his Lab. Just doing the required testing
of a radio, takes a couple of months, for MF/HF SSB Radios, and that
doesn't include any Modifications required to get the radio into
compliance. Been there, Done that, and it AIN't EASY........

Bruce in alaska who has worked BOTH sides of this issue......
--
add a 2 before @

Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote:

My ICOM-M710 can be tuned off frequency on the Marine SSB
channels. Not sure why that might be type accepted but a ham rig
doing the same thing is not. That's the general logic from the folks that
told me that many hams rigs are essentually type accepted.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

Type Acceptance is a "Legal Designation" that states that this particular
Radio Model has passed the required Testing and Design Criteria to meet
that requirement. This is done by the OEM, and they submit the results
of that testing, along with two actual production Radios to the "Office
of the Chief Engineer" for testing in his Lab.

"essentually type accepted" is an OEM's cop-out, for I don't want to
spend the MONEY it would take to get this model into compliance, and so
I just sell it into a non-Type Acceptance market, and save myself the
grief of proving that the radio is as good as I say it is.

Yea, there are a lot of the "Type Acceptance" spec that most ham radios
can pass, with no problem, but there are a few important ones that they
just can't make, because they aren't designed to make that spec. IMD
is one of these Biggies. Operational Control Design is another
requirement that keeps these ham radios from being acceptable.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
chuck

Hello Bruce,

Don't mean to be picking but I'd like to be very clear on
this. Are you saying that all of the owners of "open" Icom
"type accepted" radios who operate these radios on marine
frequencies are operating illegally because the radios are
"open"? Are you certain that the type acceptance does not
include an open version? Is the SGC 2000 being sold in
violation of the law then?

Appreciate the info, Bruce.

Regards,

Chuck

Bruce in Alaska wrote:
In article , chuck
wrote:

[...]

chuck

Hello again Bruce,

Just a quick clarification of my post of a minute ago. It is
Icom who sells these open radios for use on marine
frequencies. If they are not type accepted, is Icom in
violation of FCC rules?

Thanks.

Chuck

chuck wrote:
Hello Bruce,

Don't mean to be picking but I'd like to be very clear on this. Are you
saying that all of the owners of "open" Icom "type accepted" radios who
operate these radios on marine frequencies are operating illegally
because the radios are "open"? Are you certain that the type acceptance
does not include an open version? Is the SGC 2000 being sold in
violation of the law then?

Appreciate the info, Bruce.

Regards,

Chuck

Bruce in Alaska wrote:

In article , chuck
wrote:

[...]

Doug Dotson

It is interesting that the SG-2000 is type accepted and is "open"
yet an "open" ICOM is not. I don't really believe this is true.

Doug, k3qt
s/v CAllista

"chuck" wrote in message
Hello Bruce,

Don't mean to be picking but I'd like to be very clear on this. Are you
saying that all of the owners of "open" Icom "type accepted" radios who
operate these radios on marine frequencies are operating illegally because
the radios are "open"? Are you certain that the type acceptance does not
include an open version? Is the SGC 2000 being sold in violation of the
law then?

Appreciate the info, Bruce.

Regards,

Chuck

Bruce in Alaska wrote:
In article , chuck
wrote:

[...]

krj

Doug,
The Icom M710 (since 2002) and the M802 both have the ham bands as
standard.
krj

"chuck" wrote in message

Hello Bruce,

Don't mean to be picking but I'd like to be very clear on this. Are you
saying that all of the owners of "open" Icom "type accepted" radios who
operate these radios on marine frequencies are operating illegally because
the radios are "open"? Are you certain that the type acceptance does not
include an open version? Is the SGC 2000 being sold in violation of the
law then?

Appreciate the info, Bruce.

Regards,

Chuck