Wayne.B

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:41:24 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

I would assume that there are hydraulic AP systems that can be
integrated into an, otherwise, manual hydraulic system .

Yes, commonly available. One advantage to adding an autopilot to a
manual system is that you usually gain a rudder angle indicator in the
process.

John Proctor

On 2005-01-24 15:39:49 +1100, "Johnhh" said:

I am looking at installing a new bellow deck autopilot on my 34'
sailboat and I'm looking for opinions.

1, Any thoughts on the pros and cons of mechanical linear drives
verses hydraulic linear drives? My understanding is that the
mechanical uses less power and give better feedback to the wheel when
turned off,

2. Raymarine verses Simrad?

John

I replaced a Navico (Simrad) with a Raymarine S1 (ST6001+ control head
+ S! controller and pump). The boat had mechanical steering but a
hydraulic actuator and pump. This was original with the boat and I saw
no need to replace it. The pump motor runs only when the computer wants
to make a correction. The system works well. Plus I have the spare
Raymarine hydraulic pump. I purchased online from the US and saved a
bundle over what Raymarine's distributor wanted for the same thing here
in Australia. Easy to install and works well so far (nly 4 months use).

--
Regards,
John Proctor VK3JP, VKV6789

Johnhh

My understanding is that when you are steering manually, the hydraulic fluid
bypasses the pump so you can turn the wheel freely. When you turn on the
autopilot, a solenoid is used to close off this bypass. It draws about 1
amp and is always on when the pilot is on whether the pump is running or
not. I do not know the mechanical drive accomplishes this, but the power
usage figures for them are lower.

Jerry

I installed a Nexus linear drive (AP 2000) unit on our Tayana 37. Am very
pleased with the performance and operation. I elected not to put in a
bulkhead mounted instrument but instead used just their remote unit with
16' cable so I vcan move around in the cockpit or go below and operate the
unit.

Jerry
Larry W4CSC

"Johnhh" wrote in
:

I am looking at installing a new bellow deck autopilot on my 34'
sailboat and I'm looking for opinions.

1, Any thoughts on the pros and cons of mechanical linear drives
verses hydraulic linear drives? My understanding is that the
mechanical uses less power and give better feedback to the wheel when
turned off,

Lionheart has a B&G electro-hydraulic autopilot. The ram drives the
bellcrank on the rudder post, directly, and will steer the boat unless the
rudder falls off during complete failure of her steering gear. It is very
powerful and will steer her rudder under just awful conditions. With
inputs from a B&G compass, B&G's Wind instrument and our NMEA network, it
can be steered by compass, like a windvane or by The Cap'n software on the
computer via NMEA 0183 network everything is hooked to.

Unless you are laying right on top of it in the aft cabin of the ketch (39'
Amel Sharki), you can't hear it running. In the cockpit, observing the
wheel, it looks as if a ghost is steering her as there is total silence.
The unit has been zero trouble since it was installed last year.

It draws about 12 amps peak current, but only when the drive motor is
working hard. The motor completely shuts down when the ram stops moving
the rudder and only comes on slowly to move the ram slowly, controlled by
its own computer box located on the boat in the aft passageway. Average
current is much less, depending on sea conditions, of course. Lionheart
has lots of DC power.

Calibration amounts to running the wheel to the port stop, pressing a few
buttons to tell the computer "This is the port stop", then running it to
the starboard stop and pressing the buttons again, then centering the
rudder and pressing the buttons again. Compass calibration amounts to
turning two slow circles out in the harbor until the display tells you it's
calibrated.

The B&G constantly calibrates itself under use, varying its drive
parameters as it "learns" how the boat reacts to rudder input. After a few
hours of use, say making a 90 degree turn, the turn coordination is
perfect, the wheel coming back to center just as the new course is
attained. It's a really nice unit.

2. Raymarine verses Simrad?

I'm just replacing my 3rd Raymarine 2KW radome. The other two were so
cheaply made they all corroded up inside from condensate water. I don't
think we'll be buying more Raymarine gear in the future.....

Jetcap

Larry W4CSC wrote:

Lionheart has a B&G electro-hydraulic autopilot.

Anyone on that boat have a license to use the DSC radio?
Bwahahahahahahahahahah
Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
Jetcap wrote:

Larry W4CSC wrote:

Lionheart has a B&G electro-hydraulic autopilot.

Anyone on that boat have a license to use the DSC radio?
Bwahahahahahahahahahah

All Vhf DSC Radios are covered by the Blanket Nationwide
FCC Station License for all noncommecial vessels that navigate
soley inside US Waters. No Operators License is required under
the Blanket Nationwide FCC Station License.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
Jetcap

Bruce in Alaska wrote:

No Operators License is required under
the Blanket Nationwide FCC Station License.

Then Larry should be relieved he won't need that GMDSS Operator and
Maintainer ticket he claimed to hold and was needed for anyone to
operate a DSC radio.

He was gone long enough to get one of the guys at West Marine to teach
him about GMDSS but the FCC still only admits to him holding a ham ticket.

I wonder who operates the HF station on Lionheart ... neither Larry or
the owner holds a ticket. This is why Larry vanished for so long, he got
caught claiming he held a stack of licenses that the FCC somehow can't find.

It's hard to believe he has the balls to show up here again. I wonder
how long it will take him to start claiming all kinds of licenses again.

Rick
Jetcap

Bruce in Alaska wrote:

There is a GIANT difference between a GMDSS Radio Suite and a VHF
Radio with DSC builtin. If you don't know the difference, then you
need to educate yourself. Licensing is just a small part of that
difference.

Tell that to Larry ... that is what started the thread that ended in his
withdrawing in shame after falsely claiming to have a bunch of licenses
he doesn't hold. He was claiming that anyone using a VHF DSC radio was
required to hold a GMDSS operator ticket.

In case you have forgotten, look at the "Modifiying Icom" thread of last
July.

Rick