John Proctor

On 2005-01-24 15:39:49 +1100, "Johnhh" said:

I am looking at installing a new bellow deck autopilot on my 34'
sailboat and I'm looking for opinions.

1, Any thoughts on the pros and cons of mechanical linear drives
verses hydraulic linear drives? My understanding is that the
mechanical uses less power and give better feedback to the wheel when
turned off,

2. Raymarine verses Simrad?

John

I replaced a Navico (Simrad) with a Raymarine S1 (ST6001+ control head
+ S! controller and pump). The boat had mechanical steering but a
hydraulic actuator and pump. This was original with the boat and I saw
no need to replace it. The pump motor runs only when the computer wants
to make a correction. The system works well. Plus I have the spare
Raymarine hydraulic pump. I purchased online from the US and saved a
bundle over what Raymarine's distributor wanted for the same thing here
in Australia. Easy to install and works well so far (nly 4 months use).

--
Regards,
John Proctor VK3JP, VKV6789