Steve

Default Point me to a discussion on Autopilots?

You could take this to rec.boats.cruising or rec.boats.electronics.

However, I'm in the same situation (boat) with you. My Ingrid 38 is ~27,000
lbs with tiller and outboard rudder..

There just doesn't seem to be any AP solutions for a boat this size..

Raymarine has recently introduced the " + " and the "GP" units which bring
use to around 20,000 lb.

If your boat is wheel steering and already has hydraulic steering then your
ok. If you have wheel with cable then there are some linear drive units that
will work. If you tiller steering with a rudder stock, below deck, you can
add a tiller arm below and go with the compact elect/hydraulic unit.

However, the hardest steering for a AP will be while the boat is under sail
and it is here that the WindVane could/should be used. IMHO your Cal 39 is
well suited to a windvane. Then go with a lighter, readily avalable AP.

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

"Bill" wrote in message
Hi Guys,

A knowledgeable group like this should be able to tell me where to look

,or
what book to buy.

Vessel is a Cal 39 sloop. Displacement ~ 20,000 pounds

Grazie,

Bill

Bill

We have a good vane and a wheel pilot. The two may be good enough.

From my reading, it appears that one of the problems with the good APs is
the power requirement.

Bill

"Bill" wrote in message
Hi Guys,

A knowledgeable group like this should be able to tell me where to look

,or
what book to buy.

Vessel is a Cal 39 sloop. Displacement ~ 20,000 pounds

Grazie,

Bill

Bill

We have a good vane and a wheel pilot. The two may be good enough.

From my reading, it appears that one of the problems with the good APs is
the power requirement.

Bill

"Bill" wrote in message
Hi Guys,

A knowledgeable group like this should be able to tell me where to look

,or
what book to buy.

Vessel is a Cal 39 sloop. Displacement ~ 20,000 pounds

Grazie,

Bill

Steve

I've had both wheel (on my last boat) and my present tiller.. With the
wheel, I found that once I had the boat balance properly the AP use very
little current.. I went to Baja with it for both motor sailing and sailing
and never had any problem with the power drawn..

If your situation requires more then maybe increase your battery bank size..

But then, if you are only using the AP while motoring, why would you be
concerned since the engine is charging..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions