Default Block Island & Orient Point Questions.

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to stay overnight in Old
Harbor on Block Island. I see boats in there during the day and I've docked
at New Harbor but I'd like to do a sleepover in Old Harbor.

I was out the other day and I could see Orient Point and I'm wondering if
there is anything out there to do other than fishing? I was tempted to go
explore but forgot my charts so I decided not to.

Thanks,
Jay

Doug Kanter

Nope...nothing to do on Block Island, other than fish, bike around & explore
gorgeous beaches, and listen to the quiet. What else do you need? Don't
forget to toss your cell phone overboard before you dock the boat.

Marc

Never been to Champlin's , have you? Or Payne's for that matter.

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 16:02:03 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

Nope...nothing to do on Block Island, other than fish, bike around & explore
gorgeous beaches, and listen to the quiet. What else do you need? Don't
forget to toss your cell phone overboard before you dock the boat.

Yes, it always looks packed. I docked in New Harbor a couple times over by
place that sells sal****er taffy, I think that's Champlains. Maybe I'll
give old harbor a shot and if it doesn't work out just head back to new
harbor.

Jay

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 10:28:32 -0400, "j" wrote:

I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to stay overnight in Old
Harbor on Block Island. I see boats in there during the day and I've

docked
at New Harbor but I'd like to do a sleepover in Old Harbor.

I was out the other day and I could see Orient Point and I'm wondering if
there is anything out there to do other than fishing? I was tempted to

go
explore but forgot my charts so I decided not to.

Old Harbor is a tight fit as you probably know, and much of the space
is kept empty for the ferry's to maneuver. There are some transient
docks near Ballard's in the SE corner but you'll no doubt need
reservations in peak summer season. There is also very limited
anchoring room near the breakwater on the north side.

I've thought about trying to dock there a few times but have always
ended up in New Harbor instead because of the greater availability of
anchor and dock space. Land your dink at Champlains and grab a taxi
into town. It's a quick ride and there are always cars waiting.

Wayne.B

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:19:39 -0400, "j" wrote:
Yes, it always looks packed. I docked in New Harbor a couple times over by
place that sells sal****er taffy, I think that's Champlains. Maybe I'll
give old harbor a shot and if it doesn't work out just head back to new
harbor.

There are three marinas in New Harbor. As you go in heading
east, Champlains is first on the right. Next is Block Island
boat basin. At the end of the channel is Paynes. They all have a
different character with Champlains being by far the biggest and with
the most amenities (dinghy dock, pool, laundromat, dock bar, theater,
night club, etc,). Also a lot of expensive dock scenery of various
types and construction :-)

Block Island Boat Basin is more laid back and popular with the sailing
crowd. They also have a store with charts and boat gear.

Paynes is saltier and hard to describe. The management can be both
accomodating and cantankerous all at the same time. What ever you do
at Paynes, DO NOT wash down your boat at the dock with their water, as
you'll quickly be reminded that it comes from THEIR artesian well and
charged for the use of it. Right down the road from Paynes is Dead
Eye Dicks restaurant which has some of the best swordfish on the
island if not all of New England.

http://www.blockisland.com/

Forget about the web cam. Its been off the air for over two years
now.