Default Block Island & Orient Point Questions.

Yes, it always looks packed. I docked in New Harbor a couple times over by
place that sells sal****er taffy, I think that's Champlains. Maybe I'll
give old harbor a shot and if it doesn't work out just head back to new
harbor.

Jay

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 10:28:32 -0400, "j" wrote:

I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to stay overnight in Old
Harbor on Block Island. I see boats in there during the day and I've

docked
at New Harbor but I'd like to do a sleepover in Old Harbor.

I was out the other day and I could see Orient Point and I'm wondering if
there is anything out there to do other than fishing? I was tempted to

go
explore but forgot my charts so I decided not to.

Old Harbor is a tight fit as you probably know, and much of the space
is kept empty for the ferry's to maneuver. There are some transient
docks near Ballard's in the SE corner but you'll no doubt need
reservations in peak summer season. There is also very limited
anchoring room near the breakwater on the north side.

I've thought about trying to dock there a few times but have always
ended up in New Harbor instead because of the greater availability of
anchor and dock space. Land your dink at Champlains and grab a taxi
into town. It's a quick ride and there are always cars waiting.