Default Standard PC printers on boats?

Can one use off the shelf PC printers on any kind of
boat?
Doug Dotson

I used my DeskJet 722C with no problems for a year.

Doug
s/v Callista

wrote in message
Can one use off the shelf PC printers on any kind of
boat?

Steve

I picked up a used Canon BJC-250 at a garage sale for $20 / ink tank and it
worked great onboard. Very compact and fits into a locker with ease.

I also picked up a new Epson Stylus CX4600 for $97 after rebate. This unit
has a scanner that and digital camera card memory slot so I can scan/print
or print pictures without the computer. I'm using this at home right now but
will take it along while cruising the insided passage next summer.

The Epson does take up a bit more space on the book shelf but scanner will
be handy when doing boat paperwork or coping chart section from other
boaters while exploring the back waters.

Since I'm using digital charts as part of my navigation system, I can always
print out color chartlets from these programs. This will be handy in the
cockpit.

I'm not worried about corrosion since these printers are so cheap that if
boat dampness is a problem, no great loss and they should survive for a
couple years.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

[...]

OK

Do you think this model from Samsung will be OK?

http://tinyurl.com/7xudg

Its a B&W laser unit only.... no color.

Do I really NEED color?

Doug Dotson

Looks a little big, but if you have the space... I ran mine off of an
inverter.
From what I have heard, some printers don;t do well using a modified
sinewave inverter which is what I used.

Doug
s/v Callista

wrote in message
[...]

From what I have heard, some printers don;t do well using a modified
sinewave inverter which is what I used.

OK

But what you think abt the lack of color?

Will black and white suffice you think?
Jack Erbes

Doug Dotson wrote:

Looks a little big, but if you have the space... I ran mine off of an
inverter.
From what I have heard, some printers don;t do well using a modified
sinewave inverter which is what I used.

I think the printers that don't do well have AC power cords and use the
AC power for some of the motors. Most of the newer ones that use an AC
to DC adapter run entirely off of the DC are not affected.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jacker at midmaine dot com
Keith

You can get by with BW, but why? The color printers are so cheap. I use the
Cannon BJ250 which is compact, cheap, and does color and BW. I don't know
what you're going to be printing, but sometimes I print out little chartlets
from Nobeltec VNS. Sure is nice to have them in color. Why not go ahead and
spring for color, then you'll never be sorry.

--

Keith
__
wrote in message
Looks a little big, but if you have the space... I ran mine off of an
inverter.
From what I have heard, some printers don;t do well using a modified
sinewave inverter which is what I used.

OK

But what you think abt the lack of color?

Will black and white suffice you think?

Doug Dotson

I didn't even notice that it was BW only. I'd go for
color myself but that's a personal preference. The only
time I even printed out much in color was when printing
charts and that was almost never. Most of my printing
was WXFAX and text. I suspect a BW laser printer is
a good choice because a toner catrridge will print far
more copies than a inkjet with a black cartridge. More
cost effective as well. I used my 722C because it is what
I already had.

Doug
s/v Callista

wrote in message
Looks a little big, but if you have the space... I ran mine off of an
inverter.
From what I have heard, some printers don;t do well using a modified

Fiberglass vs plastic bb General 74 March 15th 11 07:53 PM
Loud boats Doug Kanter General 139 September 10th 04 07:28 PM
'Lectric boats Gould 0738 General 1 July 28th 04 01:55 PM
"The SEARCH" redux (long, as usual) Skip Gundlach Cruising 2 September 22nd 03 03:30 PM