You can get by with BW, but why? The color printers are so cheap. I use the
Cannon BJ250 which is compact, cheap, and does color and BW. I don't know
what you're going to be printing, but sometimes I print out little chartlets
from Nobeltec VNS. Sure is nice to have them in color. Why not go ahead and
spring for color, then you'll never be sorry.

Because the model Im thinking abt getting is a laser
printer and the consumable last a LOT longer than an
ink jet does

I think the printers that don't do well have AC power cords and use the
AC power for some of the motors. Most of the newer ones that use an AC
to DC adapter run entirely off of the DC are not affected.

Ahh.... good point!

Thanks

I suspect a BW laser printer is
a good choice because a toner catrridge will print far
more copies than a inkjet with a black cartridge.

Yep...... a LOT more printouts
Karl Denninger

In article ,
wrote:

I suspect a BW laser printer is
a good choice because a toner catrridge will print far
more copies than a inkjet with a black cartridge.

Yep...... a LOT more printouts

Correct.

If you print with ANY frequency at all, the laser will be MUCH cheaper to
operate. That's the major screw job with the inkjets - the consumable costs
are radically out of control to the point that they are 10x the cost of the
paper - or more..

Karl Denninger ) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights Activist
http://www.denninger.net My home on the net - links to everything I do!
http://scubaforum.org Your UNCENSORED place to talk about DIVING!
http://www.spamcuda.net SPAM FREE mailboxes - FREE FOR A LIMITED TIME!
http://genesis3.blogspot.com Musings Of A Sentient Mind
Meindert Sprang

wrote in message
I suspect a BW laser printer is
a good choice because a toner catrridge will print far
more copies than a inkjet with a black cartridge.

Yep...... a LOT more printouts

And a LOT more current consumption. A laser printer can draw quite some
current which is needed for heating the fuser roll.

I qoute from the manual from my laser printer (Laserjet 2200):
Average consumption during printing: 400 Watt.
Minimum supply current for 110V models: 5A (a peak value during the short
period the fuser is heated).

Meindert

Jeff Morris

Forgive me if I missed something, by why are you asking this question without
mentioning why you want a printer at all? And what kind of boat are you putting it
on? Are you using this dockside or underway? Do you have an internet connection
onboard? Are you printing text, charts, or pictures?

Without giving this info its kind of like asking, "Should I buy a truck or a bicycle?"

BTW, When I cruised for a year I carried a Canon BJ 80 (the smallest made at the
time). Now, for shorter trips, I carry a CP200, which makes perfect 4x6 photo prints
in a minute. If I'm only going out for 2-3 weeks, I don't bother with a computer, but
its fun to print pictures.

wrote in message ...
You can get by with BW, but why? The color printers are so cheap. I use the
Cannon BJ250 which is compact, cheap, and does color and BW. I don't know
what you're going to be printing, but sometimes I print out little chartlets
from Nobeltec VNS. Sure is nice to have them in color. Why not go ahead and
spring for color, then you'll never be sorry.

Because the model Im thinking abt getting is a laser
printer and the consumable last a LOT longer than an
ink jet does

Ian Malcolm

Meindert Sprang wrote:
wrote in message

I suspect a BW laser printer is
a good choice because a toner catrridge will print far
more copies than a inkjet with a black cartridge.

Yep...... a LOT more printouts

And a LOT more current consumption. A laser printer can draw quite some
current which is needed for heating the fuser roll.

I qoute from the manual from my laser printer (Laserjet 2200):
Average consumption during printing: 400 Watt.
Minimum supply current for 110V models: 5A (a peak value during the short
period the fuser is heated).

Meindert

Dont forget that Laser printers use a very high voltage to transfer the
toner to the drum and then to the paper. Also the drum is fairly
sensitive to surface contamination. I would be surprised if you got
more than a fraction of the normal operating life from the mechanism and
also from the consumables with a high humidity level and microscopic
salt crystals in the air.

If you were going to use a laser, I'd recomend only using it in harbour
in fine weather, preferably with an offshore breeze, and also to stick
to brands where the drum is in the toner cartridge with the corona wires
so the minimum number of exposed high voltage parts need cleaning when
you replace the cartridge. (You are going to spend a lot of time
cleaning the transfer wire and its insulators though. Better learn how
to replace it and stock a coil of the stuff (very fine tugstan wire
IIRC) as well, they are rather delicate.) You'd need to keep it well
wrapped with a big fresh bag of silica gel in there the rest of the time.

Any inkjet which has a user replacable head is going to be far more
reliable on a boat. My preference has always been for the older models
of HP printers, I am not fond of the newer ones. Black inkjet
cartridges are easy to refill and if you stick to brands that have an
integral head, if you dont get a good enough result it doesn't break the
bank to put a new cartridge in. You need to know where waste ink from
head cleaning cycles goes, and how to clean out the waste tank as I have
seen many printers ruined by ink spillage during office moves. By the
time I got them to repair it was mostly too late. Unless you have
cleaned out the waste ink tank, never store an inkjet printer on its
side or on end and never leave them upsidedown. While you are in there
its worth wiping off the head capping rubber and the rubber head wiping
blade(s) for best print quality and maximum head life. Its also worth
smearing a trace of a good contact cleaner/lubricant on the contacts of
a new head or cartridge to control corrosion.

For anyone who hasn't guessed, part of my job used to be repairing
printers. I dont do many now they are so cheap you can treat them as
throwaway items.

ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &
[dot]=.
*Warning* SPAM TRAP set in header, Use email address in sig. if you must.
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Uffa Fox designed, All varnished hot
moulded wooden racing dinghy circa. 1961

Any inkjet which has a user replacable head is going to be far more
reliable on a boat.

Thanks.

Good point I hadn't thought of

And a LOT more current consumption. A laser printer can draw quite some
current which is needed for heating the fuser roll.

Another VERY good point I hadn't thought of

Fiberglass vs plastic bb General 74 March 15th 11 07:53 PM
Loud boats Doug Kanter General 139 September 10th 04 07:28 PM
'Lectric boats Gould 0738 General 1 July 28th 04 01:55 PM
"The SEARCH" redux (long, as usual) Skip Gundlach Cruising 2 September 22nd 03 03:30 PM