Glen \Wiley\ Wilson

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 07:24:40 -0400, Jack Erbes
wrote:

Glen "Wiley" Wilson wrote:

snip
Rubbish indeed. The fix you mention is buried among a lot of old NT
fixes, but this may help.

Look at the "/fastdetect" option. It works for me.

Thank you for the tip, I'm surprised that fix has not surfaced before in
my life.

I just went and looked at my boot.ini file and found this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WIN NT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Micros oft Windows 2000
Professional" /fastdetect

Something had already added that option to mine, I'm wondering what did
that. This is my home computer and I have never had the problem there.
I have seen it happen 2-3 times in the last year and it was always on
computers on boats that all were running XP if I remember right.

Jack

That's been my experience as well. Just speculating, but I'd guess
that the option was turned on by default in 2k, but not in XP, for
whatever reason. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if there was no
reason at all, just a goof.