Jack Erbes

Woodpecker wrote:
I have a rather annoying problem with a mouse-gps powered by the
computer and connected to the serial port: The computer sometimes
thinks it is the seral mouse (used for clicking etc).
To get around this I have to manually connect the mouse-gps after the
computer has booted. The system is stationary hidden away in my boat
and not that easy to access.

I've tried with both seral and USD mouse-gps units and getting the
same problem I assume this is computer related.
The computers (I've used several giving the same problem) are all Win
2000 and it seems to be the P-n-P mouse detection that messes up if
there is a signal available while the system is booting.

Has anybody else here seen this problem and how do I cure it
permanently?

There is a general discussion of the problem and some suggestions (in
addition to Meindert's) in Appendix C of the documentation for the
Garmin GPS 18 at the following link. Some of it applies only to Garmin
equipment and some of it relates to all NMEA 0183/Windows mouse problems:

http://www.garmin.com/manuals/GPS18_...cification.pdf

I think once you disable the serial BallPoint mouse in the Device
Manager, it will remain disabled when the computer is shut down and
restarted later.

If you want to leave the serial Ballpoint mouse enabled because you are
using one, and the GPS can be powered up separate from the PC, you could
turn the GPS off before you turn the PC on and turn it back on after it
has booted. I think that has worked for me once in the past when I was
trouble shooting a similar problem on a boat.

Doing it that way also might lead to your needing to power up the PC,
the GPS, and other devices using the GPS in a specific sequence to get
them all working.

And it may also mean that applications on the PC that use the GPS input
cannot be started until after the GPS has been powered up.

So many variables, so little time...

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jacker at midmaine dot com