SAIL LOCO

,,,,Bill, let him rant. He'll troll anywhere. Now he's furious that I hurt
his GPS' feelings. What a nutjob.

Boob, don't flatter yourself. You couldn't hurt my feelings about anything
boat related. You only supply me with laughs.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"Trains are a winter sport"
SAIL LOCO

By the way, I'm about to pick up a 276c from Garmin

Cute little unit. You wouldn't want to spend more for your old boat.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"Trains are a winter sport"
SAIL LOCO

You can go to any West Marine (there are a LOT more West Marines than
Navionics
dealers) and they can program your Blue Chart chip on site, too. You lose
AGAIN!!!!

Since West Marine is an authorized Navionics dealer how do I loose? If they
are now doing Blue Charts that's great. You win. What are you 9 years old?
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"Trains are a winter sport"
SAIL LOCO

You are 9 years old.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"Trains are a winter sport"
Jeff Morris

This is total nonsense. Do you even understand the difference between Raster
and Vector? The current Navionics marketing claim is that their charts "have
the appearance" of raster charts, not that they are raster charts.

"SAIL LOCO" wrote in message
The Garmin BlueCharts are superior to the competition. I have yet to see a
GPS/chartplotter review where Garmin charts were anywhere but number ONE.

I think you should read a few more reviews. Navionics produces raster charts
which are considered the most accurate and the ones reviewers and everyone

else
considers the best electronic charts. Garmin ain't doing raster charts.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"Trains are a winter sport"

Bobsprit

This is total nonsense. Do you even understand the difference between Raster
and Vector? The current Navionics marketing claim is that their charts "have
the appearance" of raster charts, not that they are raster charts.

Loco loses again. It's sad, really.

Jack Erbes

Andy K. wrote:

snip

I would proceed with caution using any of the "superior" Garmin charts. Just
in our local waters we have found several errors that will cost you dearly
if you don't test the waters before you trust their charts.

Were the errors unique to the Garmin chart chip or was the same error
found on a USGS or NOAA paper chart?

I think all the companies making chart chips for U.S. waters start with
the same data (from USGS or NOAA sources) and then they make vector or
raster charts based on that data. So if you find errors on a chart chip
and can look at the chart it was based on, you may see the error there too.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jacker at midmaine dot com
Andy K.

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
Andy K. wrote:

snip

I would proceed with caution using any of the "superior" Garmin charts.

Just
in our local waters we have found several errors that will cost you

dearly
if you don't test the waters before you trust their charts.

Were the errors unique to the Garmin chart chip or was the same error
found on a USGS or NOAA paper chart?

I think all the companies making chart chips for U.S. waters start with
the same data (from USGS or NOAA sources) and then they make vector or
raster charts based on that data. So if you find errors on a chart chip
and can look at the chart it was based on, you may see the error there

too.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jacker at midmaine dot com

The errors that were found involve markers in the channel leading through
the bayou where I work. it is possible that the markers were replaced after
hurricane Opal in '95. We don't use the chart chips to navigate because we
have extensive knowledge of the local waters and can run using visual cues
or radar.

I have never checked the marker positions against those on the current
charts and would not be surprised if they were off.

Chart plotters and chips are fine, but we never use them as a primary means
of navigating any boat we crew. Our captains will use a combination Nobeltec
software along with paper charts during most trips.

I'm not out to slam Garmin or anyone else as I have a bunch of their
equipment installed on our boats and boats belonging to our customers. All I
can say is don't let the electronics do all the thinking for you.