Albert Porreca

Default New GPS

Can anyone suggest a GPS Chartplotter that is user friendly. I want one that
is easy to operate and understand.

Thank You,
Al Porreca

Chuck Tribolet

How much do you want to spend?

I've found the Garmin's pretty user friendly, but you can spend anywhere from $500 to $2500
on a Garmin chartplotter.

--
Chuck Tribolet

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.

"Albert Porreca" wrote in message ...
Can anyone suggest a GPS Chartplotter that is user friendly. I want one that
is easy to operate and understand.

Thank You,
Al Porreca

Jeff Morris

I second the plug for Garmin. You can get a GPSMAP 76 for about $250 now, the
"S" for $300, the "C" for $400. Since I use the chartplotter to augment paper
charts (rather than the other way around) a handheld is just fine for me.
However, if I got one of the newer large screen color chart plotters, I'd
probably never use paper again!

"Chuck Tribolet" wrote in message
How much do you want to spend?

I've found the Garmin's pretty user friendly, but you can spend anywhere from

$500 to $2500
on a Garmin chartplotter.

--
Chuck Tribolet

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.

"Albert Porreca" wrote in message

Can anyone suggest a GPS Chartplotter that is user friendly. I want one that
is easy to operate and understand.

Thank You,
Al Porreca

Harlan Lachman

Actually, Jeff, I love my Garmin 182 C. I use it all the time to track
speed accurately and to keep on course. It is hardwired on my Regal.

But, I still plot longer trips on charts, always consult charts for
strange waters, plot courses on charts before plugging in waypoints and
during those rare times when things get dicey, you can't beat charts for
giving you the view you want immediately without having to hit the right
buttons (e.g., zoom in and out) at the right time.

So, you are right, while underway you will rarely consult a chart, us
old salts (farts?) are not likely to surrender our paper charts either
for navigation or figuring out how to get out of those dicey times.

harlan

In article ,
"Jeff Morris" wrote:

[...]

To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?
Tamaroak

Garmin 182C. Best customer service you'll ever find. Buy them on eBay.

Capt. Jeff

Gordon Wedman

I have a Garmin 182C and I think its about the best piece of equipment I
have. Very easy to use. Very accurate with the Bluechart chip I have. I
have it mounted at my steering station where I can get constant info on
speed, course, VMG and even tides. A black and white version might be OK
but the colour does help quite a bit.
I think Garmin is generally considered to have very user friendly operating
systems.

"Albert Porreca" wrote in message
Can anyone suggest a GPS Chartplotter that is user friendly. I want one

that
is easy to operate and understand.

Thank You,
Al Porreca

Tailgunner

Love Garmin.

I have the 162 and I paid around $200 for it. VERY easy to use.
I have been so impressed with Garmin, I bought their FishFinder 120.

Albert Porreca wrote:
Can anyone suggest a GPS Chartplotter that is user friendly. I want one that
is easy to operate and understand.

Thank You,
Al Porreca

SAIL LOCO

Northstar.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"Trains are a winter sport"
Bobsprit

Northstar.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"

Junk.
Go Garmin, who sets the pace for marine units.

RB