Bobsprit

Most consider Northstar chartplotters as the standard all others are compared
to.
I've owned a 951XD and now own a 952XDW and I've never experienced any type
of fogging. The units are waterproof!

Right, Loco. So that guy is lying and so am I, right?
Garmin leads the industry for a reason. Failures are rare and service is
fantastic. I'm glad that you enjoy your units, but you don't do more than
daysail by your own admission. You're not qualified to comment. Besides the
Radar, all my gear is newer than yours by a mile.
There is just no group you won't troll in, Loco. Now you can have the last
word, dumbass. Proof that you are the ultimate PIA troll. Go for it!

RB
James McQuade

Garmin products do not accept C-MAP electronic charts. The following
link will show which OEM's accept our charts.

http://www.c-map.com/OEMs/OEMList.AS...tterStatusID=1

J. McQuade
C-MAP/USA
Jack Erbes

Doug Dotson wrote:
Doesn't Garmin use CMAP cartridges?

Doug
s/v Callista

They do not. They use only Garmin proprietary chips.

Garmin is discontinuing support for their original "G-Chart" chips later
this year. They will not sell any more new G-Chart chips, will not
update the data on the old ones, and as far as I know that puts that
chip dead in the water as far as any further updates.

All their newer stuff uses a slightly less proprietary, similar
appearing (but not interchangeable) storage media called a "Blue Chart
Data Card". The Data Cards are available in a range of sizes (8 to
256MB?).

You can buy pre-programmed data cards by area or region. Or you can buy
a Blue Chart CD-ROM with most or all of the world on it and pay to
unlock regions as you go.

Once a region is unlocked, you can use a USB data card programmer (also
sold by Garmin) on a PC to burn the charting data to a Data Card and use
it in your Garmin chart plotter.

The blank data cards and USB port programmers are fairly available at
prices less than Garmin charges, I would shop online or on eBay for them
before I bought them from Garmin.

Once you unlock a region, you can manipulate the the data to your hearts
content on any PC with CD-ROM drive. There is software on the CD for
doing that. Anything copied to a data card is tied to your specific
chart plotter by serial number or something in hardware in the plotter
unit and that data card will not work in any other, otherwise
compatible, chart plotter. That dispels any notions of sharing chart
data with friends and the like.

The Blue Chart and data card thing is attractive to me in that you can
work all your trip planning, routing, waypoints, and stuff out on a PC,
burn your own chart chip (including backup copies if you want), and take
them to the boat if you are not already on it.

I don't think there is a great cost advantage in buying Garmin's
cartography and am not sure if it holds it own with the older, long
established, charting folks (C-Map, Nobletech, etc.) or not. I have not
used a Garmin chart plotter yet or had hands on one for any reason. But
I'd be surprised to find that Garmin is not doing a good job on it, it
looks like they are doing a good job of pursuing a bigger share of the
market.

It would be good for boaters if there was only one major chart chip used
by most of the chart plotters and the competition was in selling data
CD's and the cost of unlocking needed regions.

As it is now, a few companies have the boaters over a barrel on chart
chips to some extent. What chart chips you already have can often force
the decision on which chart plotter you buy next.

I am not advocating anyone or anything here, just talking about it. And
I might have some of the specifics a little garbled too, I'm not too
deeply immersed in all this.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jacker at midmaine dot com
SAIL LOCO

Right, Loco. So that guy is lying and so am I, right?

Yes you are. I don't know about the other guy.

Garmin leads the industry for a reason.

And the reason is they make $99 handhelds that are sold at Best Buy. Garmin
makes good units but they don't compare with Northstar. Garmin leads in sales
$ only.

I'm glad that you enjoy your units, but you don't do more than
daysail by your own admission. You're not qualified to comment.

LOL............... So many years of using a GPS for racing don't count? I
also own a Garmin handheld and a Micrologic handheld. I think I'm qualified to
comment on the Northstar. According to you one has to sleep aboard to be
qualified to use a GPS .... is that right.
As always, GO AWAY, YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT BOATS.

S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"Trains are a winter sport"
SAIL LOCO

Hi, Jack...
In all honesty I have heard of these units having problems. I work for a yard
that does a lot of installs. Garmin is prefered by many. I know Northstar
markets as a premium brand, but I have heard more than a few problems, fogging
being a primary factor.
Nutjobs like Loco can believe that the products they've chosen are "best" but
that's the opinion of an individual. I'll stick with Garmin.

What a line of bull. Works in a boatyard? Doing what? Tell us. On other
newsgroups the Boobster claims to be a wedding photographer, an ebay tycoon, a
boat broaker, anything but a real job.
I guess every defective Northstar shows up at the skanky marina in N.Y. that
the Boob hangs out at.
Most people buy Garmin because of the overwhelming amount of advertising and
promotion that the company and their dealers do. They make good units and
offer a big selection. They have great factory support. But a Northstar they
ain't.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"Trains are a winter sport"

Gordon Wedman

Just thought I'd mention that you can send in your BlueChart chips to Garmin
for an updated version. They charge half the price of a new chip on an
exchange basis, that is, $150US versus $300US. I was told they update every
6 months although I don't suppose this would apply to every chip. You need
to call them to get an RMA. As for detail and accuracy, I don't see how you
could get much better than what is shown by these chips (for the areas they
cover in detail).

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
Doug Dotson wrote:
[...]

SAIL LOCO

Actually, many people buy a Garmin specifically so they can use the
superior Garmin Charts. And I'm very glad "a Northstar they ain't".

So what do you consider Navionics? Inferior? Why would so many professionals
use Navionics?
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"Trains are a winter sport"
SAIL LOCO

Just thought I'd mention that you can send in your BlueChart chips to Garmin
for an updated version. They charge half the price of a new chip on an
exchange basis,

Navionics provides the same service and they also go one better. Most
Navionics dealers have the equipment and authorization to update your chart and
you don't have to send it away.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"Trains are a winter sport"
Bobsprit

Actually, many people buy a Garmin specifically so they can use the
superior Garmin Charts. And I'm very glad "a Northstar they ain't".

Bill, let him rant. He'll troll anywhere. Now he's furious that I hurt his GPS'
feelings. What a nutjob.
By the way, I'm about to pick up a 276c from Garmin. My friend has one aboard
the Tayana 48 and it's a stunning (if somewhat large) unit that works great as
a handheld. This is to replace the smaller GPSMAP 76 that was stolen. Thank god
for insurance!

RB
SAIL LOCO

The Garmin BlueCharts are superior to the competition. I have yet to see a
GPS/chartplotter review where Garmin charts were anywhere but number ONE.

I think you should read a few more reviews. Navionics produces raster charts
which are considered the most accurate and the ones reviewers and everyone else
considers the best electronic charts. Garmin ain't doing raster charts.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"Trains are a winter sport"