Yme Bosma

Default Looking for high-end marinised PCs

I was looking for a really good marinised PC. Found one
(http://www.panbo.com/yae/archives/000443.html), but I have the
feeling it's very expensive. Although I can't find a pricetag
anywhere...

Does anyone has any experience with similar products, or may be DIY,
that you can share?

Tnx,
Yme
http://www.panbo.com/yae/
Larry W4CSC

If one must ask the price of any "high-end marinized" product, one
cannot afford its purchase. The incredibly rich who buy them never
quibble over a few thousand quid when purchasing the Rolex of
computers......(c;

Watch your Lexus salespersonae walk off, should you dare ask "How
much?"

(
http://www.panbo.com/yae/archives/000443.html), but I have the
feeling it's very expensive. Although I can't find a pricetag
anywhere...

Does anyone has any experience with similar products, or may be DIY,
that you can share?

Tnx,
Yme
http://www.panbo.com/yae/

Larry W4CSC
POWER is our friend!
Yme Bosma

I meant high-end more from a (PC) performance perspective, not so much
from a 'marinized' perspective. If you take a look at Stealth's
offering (http://www.panbo.com/yae/archives/000448.html) for example,
the specs are fairly similar. But at a price of around $2000, the
difference is (primarily) in the degree of marinization I guess.
That's where I was hoping to find some insights, tips and tricks.

(Larry W4CSC) wrote in message ...
If one must ask the price of any "high-end marinized" product, one
cannot afford its purchase. The incredibly rich who buy them never
quibble over a few thousand quid when purchasing the Rolex of
computers......(c;

Watch your Lexus salespersonae walk off, should you dare ask "How
much?"

Glenn Ashmore

The term "maranized" gets stretched quite a bit when it comes to
computers. It looks like the Capax is maranized only in some ad
writer's mind. That is just a standard industrial case. I built my
shop computer in one. 4U cases take up a LOT of room but you can cram a
lot of PCI cards in them. They are also noisy. Painted steel with front
and rear fans and a lockable front panel door but nothing waterproof
about it. For vibration and shock, the cards are top braced and the
drives have shock mounts but that is about it.

The modern super compact hard drives are a lot more rugged than the
older big ones and with 90% of the features built into the motherboard
these days vibration and shock loads are not as much of an issue.

What is an issue is moisture and the obnly solution to that is conformal
coating on everthing. Even the fanless models let air in through the CD
opening.

Between the CAPAX and the Stealth 401, I would go with the Stealth. If
you need more serial I/O you can put a port expander on one of the USB
ports. They may even be conformal coated but if not it would take about
an hour to break it down and spray everything with $3 worth of MGC
conformal coating. http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/419b.html

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Willem Amels

Hello Glenn,

The term "marinised" refers to the fact that the CAPAX has an IEC945
approval, which is required for any electronics equipment on a SOLAS
vessel. I understand the cost for getting this approval is significant.

Willem

Glenn Ashmore wrote in news:Ajj3c.52689$Ri6.46934
@lakeread04:

Yme Bosma wrote:

I was looking for a really good marinised PC. Found one
(http://www.panbo.com/yae/archives/000443.html), but I have the
feeling it's very expensive. Although I can't find a pricetag
anywhere...

Does anyone has any experience with similar products, or may be DIY,
that you can share?

Tnx,
Yme
http://www.panbo.com/yae/

Yme Bosma

Yme Bosma wrote:

I was looking for a really good marinised PC. Found one
(http://www.panbo.com/yae/archives/000443.html), but I have the
feeling it's very expensive. Although I can't find a pricetag
anywhere...

Does anyone has any experience with similar products, or may be DIY,
that you can share?

Tnx,
Yme
http://www.panbo.com/yae/

Thanks for your reply Glenn. Although I am a bit surprised that you
would prefer the Stealth over the Capax. I thought your 'ad-writer'
comment was more applicable to the Stealth, since it is not
specifically developed for maritime use.
Glenn Ashmore

Yme Bosma wrote:

Thanks for your reply Glenn. Although I am a bit surprised that you
would prefer the Stealth over the Capax. I thought your 'ad-writer'
comment was more applicable to the Stealth, since it is not
specifically developed for maritime use.

I say that because I have that exact case on my system in the shop that
runs the CNC machines and I have recently installed a Stealth 401 in a
friends boat.

The big case IS rugged, has lots of cooling, a big power supply, lots of
room for add in boards and bracing to keep the boards in place but it is
BIG, heavy and noisy. I can hear those fans over the sound of my
milling machine and that is saying something.

Other than the case, I don't see anything special in the specs for the
CAPAX. It is a standard Intel motherboard and an average Samsung CDR.
The 5" WD 36GB SATA drive is not as shock resistant as a 2.5" notebook
hard drive.

The Stealth is an extremely ruggedly built industrial computer and with
audio, USP and Firewire on the front panel and the back it is a lot more
convenient to use. While it is not IEC-945 certified it is desighed for
mounting on machines in a factory environment and would meet the
vibration and shock load test better than the CAPAX. The only question
I would have is the requirement for 10 minutes of 2KV 2.5Khz pulses into
the supply line. That spec looks like it is to test normal mains
120/240V filtered power supplies and would probably not be appropriate
for 18VDC supplies.

If you are on a 75' or larger mega yacht that otherwise qualifies for
SOLAS, the CAPAX it may be worth it but for a typical 40-50' yacht
constrained for space and power the Stealth would definitely be a better
choice.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Larry W4CSC

If you are sailing, it is also good to point out that the more
powerful a computer is, the more battery drain it has. I'd think the
key in that situation is to buy just enough low-drain notebook to
satisfy your requirements (saving thousands in the process) while
conserving battery power for longer runs between charging
intervals....