Yme Bosma

Default Looking for high-end marinised PCs

Glenn Ashmore wrote in message news:Ajj3c.52689$Ri6.46934@lakeread04...
The term "maranized" gets stretched quite a bit when it comes to
computers. It looks like the Capax is maranized only in some ad
writer's mind. That is just a standard industrial case. I built my
shop computer in one. 4U cases take up a LOT of room but you can cram a
lot of PCI cards in them. They are also noisy. Painted steel with front
and rear fans and a lockable front panel door but nothing waterproof
about it. For vibration and shock, the cards are top braced and the
drives have shock mounts but that is about it.

The modern super compact hard drives are a lot more rugged than the
older big ones and with 90% of the features built into the motherboard
these days vibration and shock loads are not as much of an issue.

What is an issue is moisture and the obnly solution to that is conformal
coating on everthing. Even the fanless models let air in through the CD
opening.

Between the CAPAX and the Stealth 401, I would go with the Stealth. If
you need more serial I/O you can put a port expander on one of the USB
ports. They may even be conformal coated but if not it would take about
an hour to break it down and spray everything with $3 worth of MGC
conformal coating. http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/419b.html

Yme Bosma wrote:

I was looking for a really good marinised PC. Found one
(http://www.panbo.com/yae/archives/000443.html), but I have the
feeling it's very expensive. Although I can't find a pricetag
anywhere...

Does anyone has any experience with similar products, or may be DIY,
that you can share?

Tnx,
Yme
http://www.panbo.com/yae/

Thanks for your reply Glenn. Although I am a bit surprised that you
would prefer the Stealth over the Capax. I thought your 'ad-writer'
comment was more applicable to the Stealth, since it is not
specifically developed for maritime use.