Rob

Default Battery switch.

"Henry" wrote in message news:51BVb.441665$X%5.5576@pd7tw2no...
I recently bought an O'day 27 and have come across a surprise in the

wiring
of the battery switch.

This is the usual 1,2, both or off.

The two batteries are wired with their positives strapped together, and

the
negatives disappear separately into the switch.
All positives are taken from the deep cycle battery, including the

starter.

Tomorrow I intend to remove the switch with a view to rewiring in a more
conventional way.

Can anyone speculate on why the wiring should be as it is. Also, is there
anything I should know to prevent blowing the alternator?

It sounds like an English car wired by LUCAS

John Smith

Hi GW, thanks for the reply,I am hoping to go down the battery combiner
road when I get to that stage of progress. Don't know where you are but I am
UK based. boat is about 30 miles from home in Suffolk so it is a bit of an
expedition when I go to do any work on it. When I learn how to do it I will
set up a web site and post some pictures of the project. many thanks to all
the people who post technical info on here. I have learned a lot but still
pick up new tips from other peoples experience.
best wishes to all
Peter
"Gw" wrote in message
om...
(Larry W4CSC) wrote in message

Hi Harry! Nice new screen name. Shows your ass almost as good as
seeing you in person.

Harry ? whos Harry shows your ass almost as dumb as the frequent
,very frequent, wrong info you post here.

To the person that emailed me at my spam address I will copy your
email here and answer you here, that email address is used up 100
percent by spammers I emtied it yesterday in case Larry wanted to
yell at me in person so your mail got trough (along with 4 copies of
the latest microsoft security patches that they were so kind to send
me at that address

I bought a boat about 3 years ago, it had three batteries. I was told
that
they were all wired independently, ie one for starting, one for house
systems and one for the winch. after parting with the money (following
survey which reading it again having stripped the boat out told me
what was
already obvious but little detail of anything else). having discovered
that
the rot in the deckhouse was far more serious than I had anticipated,
I dug
down as far as the batteries. All three were different (1 traction
type, 1
similar size but deep cycle leasure type and a smaller type as found
in
small cars as a starting battery) and were connected in parallel using
all
black cable of different dimentions. the worst thing were the numerous
items
connected directly to the batteries with no switches or fuses. It
appeared
to be a fire waiting to happen. The wiring was a mixture of household
and
auto wire with no obvious colour coding. All wiring was removed for
storage
in the nearest skip. When I finally rewire everything will be
'pretinned'
marine cable with all cables numbered at both ends. Hopefully this
should
help to reduce the 'Murphy' factor
I was not vastly impressed by the wiring as you will probably guess
Peter

Peter
What I was referring to was to make sure that the alternator was wired
directly to a battery ( something they can't do when they ship the
engine with no battery, they just wire to the starter) just make sure
that the sense line to the regulator goes to the same battery. You
have a choice as to how to charge the other banks, I like the battery
combiner concept a lot but can't always use it .

Doug Dotson

Be sure to install a snubber on your alternator. That way you
avoid all the trash talk about switching batteries while the
engine is running

Doug
s/v Callista