Bruce in Alaska

Default Ext spkr for VHF Radio

In article ,
"Rheilly Phoull" wrote:

I dunno but taking the "Kiss" theory, it might be best to just have another
extention speaker for the radio ??
Not like it will break the bank and you dont have to remember to throw the
switch.
A small 'coms" type speaker would do it and you would not be compromising
either system.

--
Regards ............... Rheilly Phoull

Another solution to this problem is to use a Dual Voicecoil Speaker.
Motorola built a very nice Marine VHF Radio years ago called a MODAR
Triton that used one of these in the Bridge to Bridge version. This
radio has two receivers and both drive a single speaker with two
individual voicecoils. Worked very slick. I have a number of the
speakers that I salvaged from these as the radio's died, and use them
just for this purpose. I have seen a few speakers with similar setups
in Jameco on occasion.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
Harry Krause

Larry W4CSC wrote:

When my SECOND unprotected cheap Sea Ray AM/FM/cassette player croaked
from the salt spray on it, it tore it all out and mounted my Icom M59
in its hole. The Icom now powers BOTH "marine speakers" hooked simply
in parallel in the cockpit. Works great, plenty of volume.....

But how does it handle those cassettes???

--
Email sent to is never read.
Bill Andersen

The switch I bought is called DPDT. It has six posts: 2 left, 2 center, 2
right.
I intended to use the two on the left side for the left and right stereo
channels and the two on the right side for the VHF (jumpered to both posts).
The center posts are for the grounds of both speakers.
I know I can add a separate speaker for the VHF radio. My idea was to use
the existing stereo speakers for the VHF radio with the option of switching
them back to the stereo.
I sometimes place my hand held radio in a holder mounted on the engine
compartment. That's OK, but uses up the batteries.

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
You need a 4-pole switch to be safe. Switch BOTH wires on BOTH
speakers, not just the hot lead. Not all amps use ground (negative
battery) for their return wires.

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 22:13:52 -0800, "Bill Andersen"
wrote:

...in parallel.. I'm trying to remember what that is.
But, only one radio powers the speakers at a time, that's why I used a

DPDT
switch.
Bill
"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
NEVER, EVER HOOK TWO TRANSISTOR POWER AMPLIFIERS IN PARALLEL!
Never wire one device to the same speakers as another. One device is
a virtual short to the other and may even present battery voltage to
the other, blowing the hell out of both! It may have already
happened, I can't say from here.

When my SECOND unprotected cheap Sea Ray AM/FM/cassette player croaked
from the salt spray on it, it tore it all out and mounted my Icom M59
in its hole. The Icom now powers BOTH "marine speakers" hooked simply
in parallel in the cockpit. Works great, plenty of volume.....

You may blow the amps hooking them in parallel......not good.

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 08:50:30 -0800, "Bill Andersen"
wrote:

I want to use the two stereo speakers of my boats AM/FM/Cassette

Player
for
my VHF radio. I wired both radios to a Double Pole Double Throw

switch.
The
AM/FM/Cassette Player works, but the VHF radio volume is so low I can

barely
hear it.
The specifications for both radios state 4-8 ohm speakers. The
AM/FM/Cassette Player states 14 watts RMS maximum stereo power, the

VHF
radio states 4 watts audio output.
Is there anyway I can use the stereo speakers for both radios? If not,

will
the VHF radio have enough power to hear it if I add two of the

mini-speakers
designed for it in the rear cockpit area?

Larry W4CSC

NNNN

Larry W4CSC

NNNN

Peter Bennett

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 23:30:12 -0800, "Bill Andersen"
wrote:

The switch I bought is called DPDT. It has six posts: 2 left, 2 center, 2
right.
I intended to use the two on the left side for the left and right stereo
channels and the two on the right side for the VHF (jumpered to both posts).
The center posts are for the grounds of both speakers.

Not quite right...

Connect the "hot" wires from the stereo to the two left terminal, the
"hot" wires to the two speakers to the center terminals, and the "hot"
wire from the VHF to the two right terminals. The ground wires from
speakers, stereo, and VHF should all be connected together, and
connected to the switch.

This assumes that one side of each stereo speaker is really grounded -
if this is no so, you need a four pole switch, and will need to switch
both sides of both speakers.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
Larry

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 23:30:12 -0800, Bill Andersen wrote:

The switch I bought is called DPDT. It has six posts: 2 left, 2 center, 2
right.
I intended to use the two on the left side for the left and right stereo
channels and the two on the right side for the VHF (jumpered to both posts).
The center posts are for the grounds of both speakers.
I know I can add a separate speaker for the VHF radio. My idea was to use
the existing stereo speakers for the VHF radio with the option of switching
them back to the stereo.
I sometimes place my hand held radio in a holder mounted on the engine
compartment. That's OK, but uses up the batteries.

That assumes that both devices use ground as the other conductor. If your
stereo does not use ground as the second speaker terminal, you will have
problems. Really, this is not a good idea, as someone might turn on the
stereo, not hear anything and turn it up which can damage the outputs.
Same thing can happen to the VHF.

A second speaker is cheap and safer!

As for mounting a handheld on the console, why not just get a 12 volt
adapter for it?
--

Larry W1HJF
email is rapp at lmr dot com

Larry W4CSC

As long as both radio and stereo use battery negative for one side of
the audio output, this arrangement will work just fine. Use an
ohmmeter and measure from battery negative to the "speaker common" on
both units. If they're both connected to battery negative (ground?),
your connections are fine.

wrote:

[...]

Marcus AAkesson

wrote:

The switch I bought is called DPDT. It has six posts: 2 left, 2 center, 2
right.
I intended to use the two on the left side for the left and right stereo
channels and the two on the right side for the VHF (jumpered to both posts).
The center posts are for the grounds of both speakers.
I know I can add a separate speaker for the VHF radio. My idea was to use
the existing stereo speakers for the VHF radio with the option of switching
them back to the stereo.
I sometimes place my hand held radio in a holder mounted on the engine
compartment. That's OK, but uses up the batteries.

That connection could destroy Your amplifiers..

To be on the safe side You need a 4-pole 2-position switch (4+4+4=12
terminals).

/Marcus

--
Marcus AAkesson
Gothenburg Callsigns: SM6XFN & SB4779

Peter Bennett

wrote:

The switch I bought is called DPDT. It has six posts: 2 left, 2 center, 2
right.
I intended to use the two on the left side for the left and right stereo
channels and the two on the right side for the VHF (jumpered to both posts).
The center posts are for the grounds of both speakers.

Not quite right...

Connect the "hot" wires from the stereo to the two left terminal, the
"hot" wires to the two speakers to the center terminals, and the "hot"
wire from the VHF to the two right terminals. The ground wires from
speakers, stereo, and VHF should all be connected together, and
connected to the switch.

Oops - the ground wires should NOT be connected to the switch!