Larry

Default Ext spkr for VHF Radio

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 23:30:12 -0800, Bill Andersen wrote:

The switch I bought is called DPDT. It has six posts: 2 left, 2 center, 2
right.
I intended to use the two on the left side for the left and right stereo
channels and the two on the right side for the VHF (jumpered to both posts).
The center posts are for the grounds of both speakers.
I know I can add a separate speaker for the VHF radio. My idea was to use
the existing stereo speakers for the VHF radio with the option of switching
them back to the stereo.
I sometimes place my hand held radio in a holder mounted on the engine
compartment. That's OK, but uses up the batteries.

That assumes that both devices use ground as the other conductor. If your
stereo does not use ground as the second speaker terminal, you will have
problems. Really, this is not a good idea, as someone might turn on the
stereo, not hear anything and turn it up which can damage the outputs.
Same thing can happen to the VHF.

A second speaker is cheap and safer!

As for mounting a handheld on the console, why not just get a 12 volt
adapter for it?
--

Larry W1HJF
email is rapp at lmr dot com