Gould 0738

Default Radio for Newbies......

Seems like we've had a few posts from beginning boaters lately.

The old pros won't benefit much from this thread, but maybe one of the
newcomers might pick up a point or two about VHF use.

(Note, this was written for an audience in a CG district where Channel 16 is
still the primary hailing and distress frequency. YMMV depending on locale with
respect to the use of 16 vs. 9 for hailing and distress)

VHF Protocol

VHF radio is one of the most important systems aboard many boats. It is the
primary means of communication for vessels cruising inland or coastal waters.
Recent advances in technology have provided us with DSC (digital select
calling), as well as more compact and easily operated equipment. Digital
circuitry and microprocessors may have spawned advances in radio hardware, but
human nature all-too-often remains stuck in the Stone Age.

The finest equipment is difficult to enjoy if it is misused, or if it
broadcasts annoying misuse by the careless or clueless. On a busy summer
weekend, our VHF frequencies can begin to sound like out takes from "Smokey and
the Bandit."

Recently overheard on VHF 16:
"Hey, Nick! You out there yet this morning? Have you got your ears on yet? This
is Alex, come back!"

"Yo, Alex, this is Nick. Hope you got some extra beer. We decided not to stop
for gas. What's your 20 to Point No Point? We've seen a few nice fish landed
already this morning. Looks like green hoochie skirts are working today. Come
back!"

A third voice interrupts, "Hey you jerks, get off 16! Don't you know how to use
your radio?"

And so it goes. Sigh.

The FTC eliminated license requirements for most pleasure boaters who do not
transmit VHF broadcasts that can be received in foreign waters, but the rules
for proper usage have not been relaxed. There are several reasons why proper
etiquette and vocabulary should be observed on the VHF. Foreign vessels in our
waters have radio personnel who may not be fluent in English, but are trained
to recognize certain keywords and phrases.
Misuse of emergency and hailing frequencies might "step on" genuine emergency
traffic.
Shared resources, like the VHF frequencies, are more easily used if all users
can maintain certain expectations for the behavior and procedures of other
users.

A short overview for newcomers, or a refresher course for any veteran boaters
at risk for becoming sloppy:

Thou Shalt:

1. Use the proper frequency. Channel 16 is for hailing and distress only and
conversation must move to a designated recreational frequency such as 09,
68,69, 71, 72, or 78.
2. Limit unanswered hailing calls. Regulations allow up to three hailing
attempts, but two minutes must elapse between unanswered hailing calls to a
given station. After three unanswered calls in a six-minute time frame, the
caller must wait fifteen minutes before attempting to hail the station again.
3. Hail other stations by vessel name, repeated up to three times, followed the
by name of your own vessel.
4. Suggest a working channel when the hailed station responds. Experienced
operators will have checked for traffic on the intended working channel before
hailing on 16 and be somewhat more confident that the frequency is available.
5. Avoid the use of 16 when the Coast Guard is resolving an emergency
situation.
6. Perform radio checks on working channels. Most marinas monitor a designated
frequency. Calling the marina as you are putting out to sea is a timely and
effective method for determining whether a radio a sending and receiving.
7. Limit the use of the radio to topics pertaining to "ship's business."
Inquiring about the price of fuel at a dock, confirming a rendezvous, arranging
a passing or meeting situation, or making moorage arrangements are examples of
legitimate VHF use. A discussion of last night's baseball game or general small
talk would be more appropriately conducted on a cellular phone.
8. Maintain a radio watch underway.

Thou Shalt Not:

1. Broadcast a phony distress call.
2. Broadcast music.
3. Broadcast calls to unidentified stations. ("Hey, Jerk! Thanks for the
monster wake!" falls into this category.)
4. Use obscene of profane language. ("Hey, blankety-blank Jerk! Thanks for the
(expletive deleted) wake!" falls into this category.)
5. Allow anyone to use the VHF without permission.
6. Sign off without permission if you become involved in a Coast Guard SAR
situation.
7. Broadcast commercial messages, or general announcements without expectation
of a reply. ("Gary's Fish and Chips on the Local Wharf serves all-you-can-eat
every Friday!")
8. Broadcast CB jargon.

VHF Vocabulary:

The International Maritime Organization has established the following
internationally recognized words and phrases to assist radio operators by
establishing standardized procedures and confirming the successful transmission
of messages:

Acknowledge: A request for the receiving station to indicate a message has
been received.

Correction: The broadcast message contains an error. The broadcast will begin
again from the last correct point before the error occurred.

Disregard: The entire broadcast was made in error.

I say again: The broadcaster will repeat all or a portion of the message.

I spell: The broadcaster will spell the following word or phrase.

In Figures: The next portion of the broadcast will consist of numbers.

Mayday: Repeated three times, indicates a broadcast request for assistance in a
situation presenting a grave and imminent threat to life, safety, or property.

Out: The conversation has ended.

Over: The last statement is complete, the other station is now invited to
reply.

Pan Pan: Pronounced "pawn," and repeated three times, indicates a broadcast
advising of a condition which may be hazardous to navigation or requesting
assistance in a situation not deemed to present a grave and imminent danger.

Roger: Message received and understood.

Say again: Please repeat your transmission.

Say again before (or after)...: Please repeat your transmission prior to or
following the indicated phrase or word.

Wilco: I will comply with your message.

The Phonetic Alphabet and Numerals:

When reception is weak or a critical word might be confused with a
similar-sounding word, the phonetic alphabet can be used to assure that the
message recipient understands the broadcaster's intent.

The following words would be used after the phrase, "I spell".

A: Alpha
B: Bravo
C: Charlie
D: Delta
E: Echo
F: Foxtrot
G: Golf
H: Hotel
I: India
J: Juliet
K: Kilo
L: Lima
M: Mike
N: November
O: Oscar
P: Papa
Q: Quebec
R: Romeo
S: Sierra
T: Tango
U: Uniform
V: Victor
W: Whiskey
X: X-ray
Y: Yankee
Z: Zulu

Example: "The passenger's name is Kathy Greene. I spell Kilo, Alpha, Tango,
Hotel, Yankee. I spell Golf, Romeo, Echo, Echo, November, Echo."

To avoid numeric confusion, the following pronunciations should be used.

Zee-row
Wun
Tu
Tree
Fo-wer
Fife
Six
Sev-en
Ate
Nighner

Example. "Roger, proceeding to slip number Delta Wun Nighner."

Larry

A boat dealer at the in-the-water boat show was using Channel 68 from
his booth to his truck and around the boat show. I sat and listened
for a while to find out what boat dealer it was and got a few names.
Obviously this isn't legal. I asked him, nicely, if he would cease
and desist, but he made the mistake of telling me to kiss off. After
all, he was a bigshot boat dealer. He continued to run his business
on Channel 68 that day.

The FCC was very interested in my report of this violation of the
rules. They must have done something because I've never heard him and
his business on the marine VHF band since.....(c;

I guess he didn't tell FCC to kiss off......

Larry

Extremely intelligent life must exist in the universe.
You can tell because they never tried to contact us.
Gould 0738

Always wondered. What happens if your own vessel doesn't have a name? A
small sportsboat owner might not bother to give his boat a name but
still own a radio..?
--
Nick

Use your state vessel registration number.
Jim Woodward

Well done. Much needed, although most of the audience that needs it
isn't reading. I do have several quibbles and additions (I can quibble
over anything)...

Thou shalt not #3 -- "Broadcast calls to unidentified stations". Your
example is fine, but it is perfectly OK to call stations for whom you
don't have a name. Examples:

1) "Westbound large vessel at four zero degrees three two minutes
north three five degrees four seven minutes west, this is Swee****er."
[To discuss which side he's going to pass]

2) "Any cruising yacht in Asab, this is Swee****er." [To ask about
check-in procedure in a new country]

Note that in both cases, I use "this is Swee****er". This breaks rule
#10 below ("be crisp"), but helps to clearly divide the two parts of
the call.

And, of course, Mayday and radio check calls are also to unidentified
stations.

Thou shalt not #7 -- Broadcast without expecting a reply. Securite
calls (see below) are an exception to this.

Always spell out numbers, as above -- say "four zero", never "forty".
Along the same lines, always speak slowly and carefully. When
speaking to a foreign ship speak very slowly and very carefully.
Don't use slang. If you don't sound silly to yourself, you're speaking
too fast.

Thou shalt #9 -- Use low power whenever possible.

And #10 -- Be crisp. A typical exchange among cruisers would be

[16] Anahita, Swee****er
[16] Swee****er, Anahita, 69?
[16] Swee****er keys his mike twice without speaking to signal "OK".
(This may not be strictly kosher, but it's very convenient and much
used abroad)
[69] both listen for a moment
[69] Anahita, Swee****er. Good morning, Richard.....

It is unnecessary to say "over" at the end of each speaking unless the
signal is very weak. Normally the other person can easily hear when
you release your mike key.

It is never necessary to say your own vessel name more than once. If
a vessel hears itself being called and didn't catch the caller's name,
it will say, "Station calling Swee****er, this is Swee****er."

And, finally, additions to your list of procedural words:

"Mayday Relay" must be used, three times, when
(a) you hear a Mayday,
(b) it is clear that no one else (in particular, the Coast Guard or
other official group) is responding after three minutes, and
(c) you are in a position to pass the information on.
[16] "Mayday relay, mayday relay, mayday relay, this is Swee****er.
We have heard a Mayday call from the vessel Sea Thunder which is
taking on water in position....."

Securite (say cure eee tay), three times, may be used for general
calls of information affecting safety or navigation. You will hear it
when large vessels enter a channel that is too narrow for two. You
may use it in similar circumstances. It can be useful, VERY
sparingly, in dense fog near intersections, or if you hear other
vessels around (if you see them on radar, you can call them as above):
[16] "Securite securite securite this is Swee****er. We are westbound
one half mile east of Asia Rip bouy, heading two six zero degrees
magnetic, speed eight knots, under sail. Swee****er is a five seven
foot long sloop with white sails and white hull."

Jim Woodward
www.mvfintry.com

(Gould 0738) wrote in message ...
[...]

A: Alpha
[...]

Nick

In article , Gould 0738
writes
Always wondered. What happens if your own vessel doesn't have a name? A
small sportsboat owner might not bother to give his boat a name but
still own a radio..?
--
Nick

Use your state vessel registration number.

Ah, but that doesn't apply in the UK where we need no registration at
all for the sea and if I gave out my local lake registration when on the
sea, it would mean nothing to anyone else. Sure I could just make up a
name, but I wondered if there was any proper procedure...
--
Nick

#10 below ("be crisp"), but helps to clearly divide the two parts of
the call.

[...]

Thanks Jim. Also saved.
noah

(Gould 0738) wrote in message ...
[...]

A: Alpha
[...]

Rural Knight

"Gould 0738" wrote in message

~~ snippage ~~

Nice job!!!!
Should be put into the newgroiup FAQ.

Roger: Message received and understood.

~~ snippage ~~

Wilco: I will comply with your message.

But, (ain't there always?) I was under the impression that
Wilco, for Will Comply, has been dropped from the radio
operators lexicon in favor of Roger.

Yes, no, maybe?

Later,

Tom

Rural Knight

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
But, (ain't there always?) I was under the impression that
Wilco, for Will Comply, has been dropped from the radio
operators lexicon in favor of Roger.

Yes, no, maybe?

Later,

Tom

Roger means something slightly different than Wilco. Roger acknowledges

that a
message has been recieved. Wilco acknowledges that the reciever will

comply
with the message.

Ah - well, all righty then.....

Later,

Tom

Gould 0738

Ah, but that doesn't apply in the UK where we need no registration at
all for the sea and if I gave out my local lake registration when on the
sea, it would mean nothing to anyone else. Sure I could just make up a
name, but I wondered if there was any proper procedure...
--
Nick

Could easily be that much of what I included in that article does not apply in
the UK.

Another way to identify your boat would be
"This is 17-foot motor vessel off your starboard bow" if hailing a boat that is
in sight.

If calling for assistance ona Mayday, you might say, "This is an unnamed
vessel. We are 21 feet, LOA, white with green canvas, located at

Lake Travis radio check [email protected] General 1 August 11th 03 10:48 PM
Good Marine Radio? General 4 August 3rd 03 05:55 PM
Upgrading Radio / Stereo Matt General 0 July 25th 03 12:48 AM