Larry

Default Jet Boat Autopilot

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 00:44:53 +0100, Michael Ohlhorst wrote:

my promblems setting up an Autopilot to my 10foot tube tender was the
compass.
the ractions of the compass where to worse to use it.
The semiregide inflatable with 40HP Johnsen is rigged with a hydraulik
steering system and the hydraulik pump works fine.
when the boot hurts in the sea my small compass ist circeling and the
fluxgate of the autopilot do not deliver usefull data sets.
The Autopilot ill tried was a small DANAHELM unit the first fluxgate has
aircoils and the second was oil filled. The idear adapting NMEA Data from a
GPS Handheld could work but the time to patch the software of the autopilot
to get it work would be to long for me.

Michael from Germany

Hi Michael,

Ok, so then you're saying that the data delivered by fluxgate compasses
was the problem. I can understand that, particularly as a small boat
always has far more pitch and roll than a larger craft. (My boat is small
as well) In fact, I recall something said by the owner of the boat I was
aboard saying something like autopilot wasn't that useful in rough weather,
but that might well have been because you tend to need to head into it and
it shifts, while an autopilot might want to take you in a different
direction.

I am pretty sure that modern autopilots can and do accept NMEA data. That
must be the case as some advertise that they work with GPS to follow a
plotted course, so it would appear as if there wouldn't need to be any
modification.

I have the skills necessary to modify software (I'm a software engineer by
trade) but I doubt companies would release the source.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
--

Larry
email is rapp at lmr dot com
Michael Ohlhorst

Hi Larry,

Ok, so then you're saying that the data delivered by fluxgate compasses
was the problem. I can understand that, particularly as a small boat
always has far more pitch and roll than a larger craft. (My boat is small
as well) In fact, I recall something said by the owner of the boat I was
aboard saying something like autopilot wasn't that useful in rough

weather,
but that might well have been because you tend to need to head into it and
it shifts, while an autopilot might want to take you in a different
direction.

I would not say that the small tender is doing more pitch and roll than my
bigship.
The reason for the worse funktions are the hard knoking when it falls back
to the water
its nearly flying most of the time 40HP at 300Kilo gramms.

I am pretty sure that modern autopilots can and do accept NMEA data. That
must be the case as some advertise that they work with GPS to follow a
plotted course, so it would appear as if there wouldn't need to be any
modification.

The first promlem could be that the GPS data is comming out once a second
wile the compass
Data are 5 to 20 times a second appears.
All autopilots i have seen are using the compass for the direction and do
the correction with the
cross track information only.

I have the skills necessary to modify software (I'm a software engineer by
trade) but I doubt companies would release the source.

For my old DANAHELM it was the reason to remove it from the ship and replace
it with an
robertson AP3000 Danahelm is gone out of the business and i had not the time
to repair the
compass for a while. Later i saw that only one TTL in the output has blown.
The Danahelm uses an 80535 as the main prozessor so it could not be too
difficult to disassemble the
operating software. the robertson uses also an 8051 derivat.

Michael

Michael Ohlhorst

Hi Larry,

I recall from years ago that handling large craft was very much the same
thing: you applied rudder and the reaction was delayed. Stopping was
similar - you approached slowly and with caution and reversed engines well
before you wanted to stop. All of this is what I generically call
"damping" - anticipation of the effect and a delayed reaction to change.
Now my experience with autopilots is practically nil - the only time I

used
one was very brief and basically it just kept the boat on course. I had
hoped that when you set up an autopilot, that you could trim the amount of
steerage. Are you saying that you can't?

As i am going most often alone with my Boat i have to use the autopilot for
a lot
of times when i am busy.
The worst situation was a trip at the german north sea between Cuxhafen at
the Elbe and
Helgoland the distance is around 70 miles open water. The weather has turned
from bad to
impossible and as my flybridge was not ready to use i had to steer form
inside. The lithouse of
Helgoland was in sight but i was not able to steer a usefull course. The
waves are so strong that
my dutch 52feet Motorboot was doing 90 degree course changes within 5
seconds. The only way for me was
using my robertson AP3000 sitting on the sofa and hoping the best -which
lasts 5 hours as the boat is doing around
8 knots in good conditions.

The trimming of an autopilot is the most horrible thing to do. When it is
funktioning in calm conditions it is not working
in rough sea and when its working there your boat is moving like a drunken
sailor at a mirror sea.

Michael

BruceM

Like Michael said Larry,........... Every boat & every sea (following, head,
etc) has it's own particular set of behavioral problems or idiosynchrosies.
I think as long as you don't expect it to be a really sucessful setup, then
you won't be disappointed.
I had a chat today with a pro fisherman & he said that if you set it too
"tight", all your equipment in the steering department would be "overworked"
trying to keep you on course that it wouldn't last long.
Much of his work is in seas with a diagonal swell on his way out & back from
the grounds. His auto-pilot is set with a wide path so that the boats
natural veering behaviour on the up side is allowed to "happen" without
correcting so that the natural opposite veering in the other direction on
the down side is back to within the course allowed. Hope I'm making sense.
If the pilot has to "fight" it one way, it then has to also "fight" it the
other.
That is with a boat that has a decent skeg & a big rudder. Probably similar
to a yacht with a decent keel. Imagine a yacht without a keel?
All in all, with a jet, don't expect too much.
"Michael Ohlhorst" wrote in message
[...]

Larry

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 17:26:34 +1030, BruceM wrote:

[...]

Thanks to all,

I've done a bit more research in addition to what I've read here and
pretty much decided to scrap the idea. Bombardier is just about useless -
virtually no technical help at all. When I asked them about adding an
autopilot, they said they would not help and would pull the warranty if I
did. I already had a brand new engine blow, and the deaIer had to fight
with them to replace the engine with a new one. I think I'll no doubt sell
it next season while the new engine is still working. First and last
experience with Bombardier. I added trim tabs, and they have helped it a
bit, but after visiting the Hinckley site, I am remembering what real boats
are like....

For now, I guess I'll just use my knee to hold the wheel while I eat my
sandwich! I'll start a new thread about the new boat in a different
boating group.
--

Larry
email is rapp at lmr dot com

Dan Krueger

I jumped in late here but if your goal is to let go of the wheel and have the
boat continue to go straight I would suggest going with a "no-feedback" steering
system. If you have Teleflex steering components already, it can be retrofitted
pretty cheap. I have it on my boat and it's great. It's a "poor man's"
hydraulic steering and ideal for lower HP ranges. I'm not too familiar with
jets but I would imagine that hydraulic steering would be an option anyway.

In the interest of safety, you wouldn't want to let go of the wheel at any high
speeds or in rough conditions. For me, it's great because I can make a quick
run to the cooler or the washdown while idling back on the way to the slip on
the ICW. The other bonus is that at high speeds the wheel doesn't pull to one
side and when you accelerate quickly you don't have that engine torque on the
wheel.

Dan

Larry wrote:

[...]

Cantide

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 17:25:21 GMT, Larry wrote:

I have a Bombardier Utopia 185 jet boat, powered by a Merc 100hp DFI jet.
That is an 18.5 ft bowrider runabout. I would like to add an autopilot to
it. Anyone have any recommendations? Has anyone added an autopilot to a
jet boat and have any suggestions? Thanks

The more financially endowed salmon fishermen around here have been
installing TR-1 autopilots on their kicker motors. A friend of mine
has one on his boat, it's very impressive... The unit can be used for
the main engine as well as the kicker, with the approprate actuators.
Check http://www.nautamatic.com/

Dan
Larry

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 01:42:28 GMT, Dan Krueger wrote:

[...]

I don't know which steering components are installed and Bombardier (the
manufacturer) won't tell me. I believe they use a cable system of some
kind. I'm kind of fed up with them and will probably sell the boat this
summer and get a real boat. (sarcasm) . I did a quick Google for
Teleflex, though and got a bunch of information. Thanks for the tip.
--

Larry
email is rapp at lmr dot com
Larry

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 02:43:56 GMT, Cantide wrote:

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 17:25:21 GMT, Larry wrote:

I have a Bombardier Utopia 185 jet boat, powered by a Merc 100hp DFI jet.
That is an 18.5 ft bowrider runabout. I would like to add an autopilot to
it. Anyone have any recommendations? Has anyone added an autopilot to a
jet boat and have any suggestions? Thanks

The more financially endowed salmon fishermen around here have been
installing TR-1 autopilots on their kicker motors. A friend of mine
has one on his boat, it's very impressive... The unit can be used for
the main engine as well as the kicker, with the approprate actuators.
Check http://www.nautamatic.com/

Dan

Thanks, Dan,

I had looked at them. They're really pricey and I can't get an answer
about retrofit.
--

Larry
email is rapp at lmr dot com