Dan Krueger

Default Jet Boat Autopilot

I jumped in late here but if your goal is to let go of the wheel and have the
boat continue to go straight I would suggest going with a "no-feedback" steering
system. If you have Teleflex steering components already, it can be retrofitted
pretty cheap. I have it on my boat and it's great. It's a "poor man's"
hydraulic steering and ideal for lower HP ranges. I'm not too familiar with
jets but I would imagine that hydraulic steering would be an option anyway.

In the interest of safety, you wouldn't want to let go of the wheel at any high
speeds or in rough conditions. For me, it's great because I can make a quick
run to the cooler or the washdown while idling back on the way to the slip on
the ICW. The other bonus is that at high speeds the wheel doesn't pull to one
side and when you accelerate quickly you don't have that engine torque on the
wheel.

Dan

Larry wrote:

Thanks to all,

I've done a bit more research in addition to what I've read here and
pretty much decided to scrap the idea. Bombardier is just about useless -
virtually no technical help at all. When I asked them about adding an
autopilot, they said they would not help and would pull the warranty if I
did. I already had a brand new engine blow, and the deaIer had to fight
with them to replace the engine with a new one. I think I'll no doubt sell
it next season while the new engine is still working. First and last
experience with Bombardier. I added trim tabs, and they have helped it a
bit, but after visiting the Hinckley site, I am remembering what real boats
are like....

For now, I guess I'll just use my knee to hold the wheel while I eat my
sandwich! I'll start a new thread about the new boat in a different
boating group.