Larry

Default Jet Boat Autopilot

I have a Bombardier Utopia 185 jet boat, powered by a Merc 100hp DFI jet.
That is an 18.5 ft bowrider runabout. I would like to add an autopilot to
it. Anyone have any recommendations? Has anyone added an autopilot to a
jet boat and have any suggestions? Thanks
--

Larry
email is rapp at lmr dot com
Harry Krause

Larry wrote:

I have a Bombardier Utopia 185 jet boat, powered by a Merc 100hp DFI jet.
That is an 18.5 ft bowrider runabout. I would like to add an autopilot to
it. Anyone have any recommendations? Has anyone added an autopilot to a
jet boat and have any suggestions? Thanks

No offense, but what you are doing with your hands and eyes on an 18'
boat that require you to use an autopilot?

--
Email sent to is never read.
Larry

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 13:04:20 -0500, Harry Krause wrote:

Larry wrote:

I have a Bombardier Utopia 185 jet boat, powered by a Merc 100hp DFI jet.
That is an 18.5 ft bowrider runabout. I would like to add an autopilot to
it. Anyone have any recommendations? Has anyone added an autopilot to a
jet boat and have any suggestions? Thanks

No offense, but what you are doing with your hands and eyes on an 18'
boat that require you to use an autopilot?

None taken, Harry. The problem isn't the boat size, it's the jet drive.
You can't take your hands off the wheel; it seems to need constant
corrections, and the lower your speed, the more sensitive. This is my
first jet, and while I love the idea of no prop (I'm in northern NH - all
lakes, some of them shallow), the tendency is for the boat to track to one
side. I'm not sure why this is, as "steering" consists of moving a large
pipe in an arc. One would think that it should tend to center, but it
doesn't.

I take her out alone quite a bit, usually on large lakes in western Maine.
I'd like to be able to reach for a sandwich and eat it without having to
hold on to the wheel constantly. Note that does not mean I'm not paying
attention! If I could rig a tiller pilot, that would be fine.

I realize this sounds like I know little to nothing about boats, but I was
born near the water and have cruised and sailed quite a bit. I've owned a
wide variety from a 14' runabout (my first) to a 38' twin screw Hubert
Johnson (my last before moving up here). That doesn't make me an expert,
but perhaps not a novice either.
--

Larry
email is rapp at lmr dot com
Harry Krause

Larry wrote:

[...]

Interesting. Well, autopilots work on small boats, but the small boats
I've been on that have been so equipped tend to wander a bit back and
forth, yaw, as it were. Bigger boats tend to do that, too, but the
motion seems less noticeable.

I don't know a soul who has a jetboat with an autopilot. Hinckley builds
some large, fancy boats and I presume they are so equipped. You might
want to contact Hinckley and what non-nominal behavior might be part and
parcel of equipping a small jet drive boat with an autopilot.

--
Email sent to is never read.
Larry

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 18:38:41 -0500, Harry Krause wrote:

Interesting. Well, autopilots work on small boats, but the small boats
I've been on that have been so equipped tend to wander a bit back and
forth, yaw, as it were. Bigger boats tend to do that, too, but the
motion seems less noticeable.

That's interesting. I've never seen a small boat with an autopilot, so I
have no basis to judge. I wonder if they were controlled by flux gate
compasses or NEMA streams from a GPS? I can see where that might well be a
problem. The larger the craft, the greater the mass, so it makes sense
that they would tend to track better.

I don't know a soul who has a jetboat with an autopilot. Hinckley builds
some large, fancy boats and I presume they are so equipped. You might
want to contact Hinckley and what non-nominal behavior might be part and
parcel of equipping a small jet drive boat with an autopilot.

Either do I, thus the post here! Furthermore, this may be entirely
impractical. If it is, I'll drop it.

Hinckley makes gorgeous boats! That's a name from the past, I'm glad to
see they're still around. I'll take a look - thank you.
--

Larry
email is rapp at lmr dot com

BruceM

I would say it is impractable.
Chap has an auto-pilot here in Sth Aust on a 38footer and believe me it is
the worst boat in the fleet. The boat has the nickname of "drunkboat".
Firstly, those jets are OK for 18 footers going like a bat-out-of-hell up a
fast flowing river & doing spin-outs in their own length like in NZ tourist
fjiords.
At 18 to 25 knots they just wander all over the place. Maybe if you had a
full length keel or something it might help.
"drunkboat" has nearly been spun that many times in a big following sea that
most won't go out with him if there are more than a metre seas running. Like
I said, on a 45MPH boat on a fresh water lake.......... no worries.
BruceM

"Larry" wrote in message
[...]

Cantide

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 17:25:21 GMT, Larry wrote:

I have a Bombardier Utopia 185 jet boat, powered by a Merc 100hp DFI jet.
That is an 18.5 ft bowrider runabout. I would like to add an autopilot to
it. Anyone have any recommendations? Has anyone added an autopilot to a
jet boat and have any suggestions? Thanks

The more financially endowed salmon fishermen around here have been
installing TR-1 autopilots on their kicker motors. A friend of mine
has one on his boat, it's very impressive... The unit can be used for
the main engine as well as the kicker, with the approprate actuators.
Check http://www.nautamatic.com/

Dan
Larry

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 02:43:56 GMT, Cantide wrote:

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 17:25:21 GMT, Larry wrote:

I have a Bombardier Utopia 185 jet boat, powered by a Merc 100hp DFI jet.
That is an 18.5 ft bowrider runabout. I would like to add an autopilot to
it. Anyone have any recommendations? Has anyone added an autopilot to a
jet boat and have any suggestions? Thanks

The more financially endowed salmon fishermen around here have been
installing TR-1 autopilots on their kicker motors. A friend of mine
has one on his boat, it's very impressive... The unit can be used for
the main engine as well as the kicker, with the approprate actuators.
Check http://www.nautamatic.com/

Dan

Thanks, Dan,

I had looked at them. They're really pricey and I can't get an answer
about retrofit.
--

Larry
email is rapp at lmr dot com