Larry W4CSC

Default SGC 230 antenna tuner NEW

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 04:51:20 GMT, "Captain Bob"
wrote:

Every Yaesu I have had had a problem. Never buy another piece of their
gear. Love Icom and the SGC 230 tuner - it will handle 160 meters very well
with backstay antenna.

Bob, AK6R
Catalina 42, Swell Dancer
Oceanside, CA

I have two Yaesu HF radios, an FT-990AC with every available option
and a FT-900AT fully loaded for my mobile, which drives a modified
TenTec Hercules II to 650W output (at 130 amps) to a home brew 15'
Texas Bugcatcher with Henry Allen's largest coil(s) and 36", 8-spoke
capacitor hat up 10' over the trailer hitch.

The FT-900 has spent most of its life in the trunk of a restored 1973
Mercedes 220D, the finest non-electronic ham radio mobile ever
produced. In summer, I'd bet it ran fine in temperatures far in
excess of its design characteristics buried in the trunk with a 130
amp linear amp heater workin' mobile DX on the way to hamfests. We
used to operate RTTY at 100% duty cycle, mobile, to entertain the
passenger hams. Great fun, making hamfest trips seem very short.

I had to clean the FT-990AC's transfer relay contacts to get the tuner
in it to work one time......

I have four, non-working, Icom walkie talkies, two non-working Icom
2m/440 mobiles of various ages. For some reason, Icoms seem to fail
not when used, regularly, but when STORED! The backup batteries were
replaced and they still don't work....keyboards that won't key,
displays that are blank, etc......

Lionheart has Icom M802, M602, M59 radios in it because Yaesu doesn't
make cool marine radios......

Pity.....

Larry W4CSC

"Very funny, Scotty! Now, BEAM ME MY CLOTHES! KIRK OUT!"

Jim Woodward

For what it's worth (which may be what you've paid for it), I saw a
lot of SSB radios on fishboats and workboats when we were looking for
Fintry.

Thes were fishboats on both coasts and workboats in the Gulf, places
like Morgan City. All owned by people and companies who squeeze a
penny hard and have experience across multiple boats.

I would say that the market split between SEA and SGC, with Icom
extremely rare (I can't remember one, but I can't swear to it). We did
see an Icom 710 on Tarapunga (ex RNZN survey vessel).

We took a Furuno 1502 around the world on Swee****er and I will
probably buy a 1503 for Fintry. That may change if I find an Icom
salesperson this week at Fort Lauderdale who will give me straight
answers to questions and not go off ranting about the (SE Asia racial
epithet) and (Asia racial epithet) who build their competitors'
equipment. My experience in the past has been the slurs (same guy, at
two different shows) and a strong desire to upsell (several different
people) -- ask for an explanation of the practical differences between
the 700, 710, and 802 and you get the reasons to buy the most
expensive.
While I hear most of you guys believing in Icom, I am reluctant to
reward unacceptable behavior.

Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

"Doug Dotson" wrote in message ...
My experience has been that for every bad report about SGC
rigs, you can find seveal folks that love them and have never had a
problem. Like anything else, the bad reports tend to be louder and
more obnoxious than those that quietly use and enjoy. A friend
has had one on board for 6+ years with constant use and absolutely
no problems. My 230 hasn't missed a beat since I bought it 6 years
ago.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

"sded" wrote in message
Finally sold my SG2000 radio after 9 1/2 years of excellent service on

voice and
email (Winlink). Had to tune up the frequency once (very simple with an

SGC)
but otherwise never a problem. Decided to keep the SG230 tuner, still

going
strong after 10 years, with my new ICOM M802. I kept the SG230 because it

works
great and is also compatible with my other SSB, an ICOM 706-II. I have
certainly heard anecdotal evidence of SGC radio problems, but don't know

the
percentages--I only know 2 other SGC radio users, but they have no

problems, and
all the tuner users I know seem to rarely have problems-but I only know a

few
personally. Gordon West also pans the radio, loves the tuner. Seems to

have
been some radio quality control problems at various times, but also lots

of good
ones. Good price for the tuner; currently $419 + shipping at Farallon
Electronics. But I don't expect to need a replacement for a while.

Regards;
Ed,KO6CK
(Larry W4CSC) wrote:

How many times has it been sent back to SGC, like all their products?

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 19:33:33 GMT, "Radiodan-W7RF"
wrote:

Brand new in box SGC 230 antenna tuner $375 plus ship
Perfect backstay antenna tuner, most popular used by boaters worldwide.
Credit cards OK
One time post, it will sell fast.

--
73, Dan Magro W7RF
HENRY RF Power Amplifiers

Larry W4CSC

"Very funny, Scotty! Now, BEAM ME MY CLOTHES! KIRK OUT!"

Me

In article , "Leanne"
wrote:

SGC has a long reputation in the "Marine" radio community.

SGC means Piece of Crap....

I'll second that. It was an expensive experiment.

Leanne

There is are reasons that I have "No Respect for SGC" and any of their
products. The "S" in SGC stands for Stoner, Don. (One of the premier
radio designers of the 70's, and a recognised "Great Ham" and published
inovater in the Radio Communications Field) Don left the company after
a few years, because he had serious disagreements with his partner.
The "G" in SGC is for Goral, sp PeeAir. This guy couldn't design
his way out of a "Wet Paper Bag". He and a group of radio design
wannabee's took control of the company and produced more CRAP than
all the Geese in Lake Union, Washington , USA. Everything that has been
produced in the last 25 years has been with out Don Stoner. Notice that
I say "Produced" not designed here. That is because most if not all the
inovations that folks attribute to SGC weren't inovated there, just
"copied, stolen, plagerized" from other OEM's. Yes, the vernerable SGC
Auto Antenna Tuner, wasn't an SGC inovation, but a plagerized direct
copy of the SEA1612B, including the firmware Roms with the SEA Copyright
Notice still in the firmware. The SGC 2000 and 2020 were functional
copies of SEA Radios that preceded them into the market by about 18
months. I don't think PeeAir has had an "Original Idea" EVER.

Me
Richard Cassano

For Sale: SGC 2000 Marine radio Real cheap - No, I wont pay you to take the
radio and the shipping too.
Richard Cassano
S/V Gray Eagle
P.S.
On the serious side, the SG-230 tunner is outstanding.

Glenn Ashmore

That is the "mini SGC" 50 watts max.

Doug Dotson wrote:

Never heard of a rig called an SGC 2000.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

"Richard Cassano" wrote in message
t...

For Sale: SGC 2000 Marine radio Real cheap - No, I wont pay you to take

the

radio and the shipping too.
Richard Cassano
S/V Gray Eagle
P.S.
On the serious side, the SG-230 tunner is outstanding.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Vito

Me wrote:

... I don't think PeeAir has had an "Original Idea" EVER.

From what you say he has plenty, just not technical ones: Like "Why pay
engineers?" or "I can sell cheaper than those who do by plagerizing
their designs" or ... But wait - you're right! These are hardly original
ideas. We've been at it ever since Og copied Ug's arrow head.
Richard Cassano

Doug,
Yes, you are correct. It's a mere typo. The correct radio is SG-2000 with
PowerTalk Head. Although it has a great transmitter the receive side of the
radio is the worst I have ever come across. My new Icom M-802 is, in
contrast, outstanding.
The SG-2000 has been back to SGC for a complete check-up and found to be in
perfect working condition. It is currently in the original boxes with
manuals and lives in a storage closet. Anyone interested and who may have
some use for this radio should contact me off the newsgroup and make an
offer. The SG-230
tuner is part of my sloper in the back yard and is doing a great job of
tunning this long piece of wire for Ham radio at home.
Richard Cassano, kc2isg
s/v Gray Eagle, Oyster Bay, NY
USA

"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
Never heard of a rig called an SGC 2000.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

"Richard Cassano" wrote in message
t...
For Sale: SGC 2000 Marine radio Real cheap - No, I wont pay you to take

the
radio and the shipping too.
Richard Cassano
S/V Gray Eagle
P.S.
On the serious side, the SG-230 tunner is outstanding.

Mark Reichow

I recently sold my SGC 2000 radio after 8 years of on and off again
service. I kept the SGC 230 tuner to use with my new Icom
IC-706MKIIG. The SGC 2000 had been back for repair 3 times and the
tuner in twice. The last time they returned the tuner to me, it
failed to tune. I opened up the case and found the prongs of the fuse
holder folded over and the fuse MISSING, as in not in the case! This
is on a newly serviced tuner. I called them up with a blood vessel
pumping in my neck, and finally got it fixed. In any case it's worked
well for 6 years now, but I certainly wouldn't buy anthing else from
them. I have installed Airmail/Winlink systems on quite a few Icom
marine SSB's, mostly 710's and 802's, and although the radio's are
bullet proof, the user interface is a pain for anyone who want's to
use them on any freqs other than the standard marine ITU channels.
You can always tell when you're talking to a 710 or 802 user. If you
tell him to meet you on 6245.0, you'll get a "ok, give me a couple
minutes to program". GGGRRRRR! Give me a Icom 706 ANY DAY.
sded

The M802 is actually quite easy to tune. If you go to the frequency display,
and hit "clar/rx", the left hand knob acts just like the "TS" (tuner step)
button on the 706, and the right hand knob tunes frequency in the increment
selected by the left hand knob. You can also key in the frequency with the
keypad, which you can't with the 706. I agree that the 710 is a pain, but think
the 802 has really fixed the problem-but has certainly not documented in the
manual. I had to hound Icom technical support to get a copy of the missing
pages from the manual via fax. I also have a 706-II at home, BTW.