Oliver Fleming

Default marine electronics package....

INTERPHASE PROBE

A total and complete waste of money at sea.
You will never pick up that object floating just under the
surface in time to take any avoiding action.
I used one of these on a voyage from Australia to Vanuatu and
return for this reason.
See www.bravado.com.au

It would have been better to spend the money elsewhere.

Cheers
Oliver Fleming

"Tom Young" wrote in message
om...
"Keith" wrote in message

Breakwater marine electronics.

--

Keith
__

men should be
happier than others" - Oscar Wilde
"Wolf" wrote in message
m...
Who installed that "crap" on your boat?

Wolf
"Keith" wrote in message
Yes, I did. I'm of the opinion that Raymarine is making

crap right now,
due
to increased demand for profits at the expense of

quality. I've seen
lots
of
their open arrays replaced due to bad design resulting in

water
intrusion.
Their warranty service department is swamped due to large

numbers of
units
being returned. My cable "went bad" for no reason... no

punctures, cuts,
etc. Matter of fact, the store I bought it from is

thinking of not
carrying
Raymarine any longer due to the high numbers of warranty

repairs they
are
having to do. They recommend Furuno now.

--

Keith
__

they lie caked
in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it,

the tomb is
sealed..." - Sterling Hayden
"Tom Young" wrote in message
m...
Anyone have a definite thought on the differences

between a Raymarine
package and a Furuno package. I've got a new boat due

in shortly and
I have been really hung up on the reputation and

apparent quality
differences of the Furuno. But, I've got a

dealer/installer claiming
the Raymarine is everybit as good and what really

matters is the
quality of the installation and of course, his choice

of installers is
him. I'm going for a radar/plotter/depthsounder/

autopilot with a
couple of repeaters involved. (36' boat-upper and

lower stations.)

Anyone had a situation where they ordered the stuff

from someone like
"Marine Electronics" or some other big discounter and

had a FREELANCER
install all the stuff on your boat. What do the Mfg's

do about
warranty when a "non-Authorized" dealer/installer was

used. Isn't
most of this stuff "Plug and Play"?

Thanks for any help you can give....I'm sorta

bewildered at the
moment.

I appreciate everyone's comments on the Raymarine/Furuno
question...Now one mo Anyone out there had any experience

with an
INTERPHASE PROBE? It is a sonar capable of depicting the

bottom
either to the sides or in the case of the "Probe" from beneath

your
boat to the surface forward of your boat out to a distance

(they say)
of over a thousand feet.....Anyone know anything about these?

Thanks
again..

Pertti Walliander

Interphase Probe has shown itself to be very useful when boating in Finnish
coastal water with a lot of rocky islands and not so many market routes. In
open sea with seabed deep I cannot see real benefit. I've had the unit for
about 6 years and I could not think being without it. My boat is a
displacement steel cruiser with normal 6 kn speed but going out of marked
routes naturally I'm running much slower. The updating time in Probe is
slow, but knowing how to use it, it is very useful.
Wallu
m/y Merikihu

"Tom Young" wrote in message
om...

"Tom Young" wrote in message
[...]

Jralbert

"...A lot of people complain about Raymarine product failing and
their customer service...."

I want to offer a different opinion. I have had three contacts with
Raymarine customer service and each one was more than satisfactory. They
answered the phone promptly, were patient in listening and explanations,
helpful, friendly and, most important, took care of the problem. The product
itself, though now obsolete, has held up well for a decade. I would get
their stuff again with full confidence!

Joel Albert
Potomac, MD
))
Dave Skolnick

I have a Raymarine package on my express cruiser from the factory. No
issues, no failures, no problems. Other than every unit having a
different way of setting the backlight level (#@#$##$#%%^^^@&^) I think
the controls and menus are pretty straightforward.

Raymarine also seems to have a broader range of instruments, so it is
easier to outfit your boat with stuff that should all take together.

That said, I will never forget walking into a Raytheon facility in Texas
where the "motivational" banners hanging from the ceiling were "Make
your numbers." No emphasis on the customer. No emphasis on the
employees. It was all about making money. Now you should recognize that
my opinion is that if you care for your customer and care for your
employees, the financial returns will follow. That is not the Raytheon
way, and I presume not the Raymarine way.

I'm going to buying a new boat in the next year, and I'll probably
commission with Raymarine instruments, but it will definately make my
stomach hurt.

dave

Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
Source for cheap tinned marine battery cable Genuinedealz Boat Building 0 April 21st 04 02:55 PM
West Marine Really Sucks nospam Cruising 14 February 3rd 04 09:29 PM
Marine VHF radio range? Type? Buy where? Ken Electronics 9 September 13th 03 04:52 AM
marine electronics NEWENGLANDCHARTERS Electronics 0 July 8th 03 03:06 AM