Larry W4CSC

Default marine electronics package....

Also make sure they are COMPATIBLE. Sailnet sold my captain a B&G
H1000 Pilot, which uses Fastnet data and an NMEA 0183 interface box
because the installed B&G Wind, Speed and Depth instruments are the
older B&G "Network" instruments, a whole different data port system
that outputs NMEA, not Fastnet.

After getting the boxes all installed, we were short some Fastnet
cables so called B&G (Brookes & Gatehouse) to order them. While the
conversation got around to our extensive installation, the B&G guy
told us the H1000 would never read the Wind, Speed or Depth data from
the NMEA adapter. It was looking at the Fastnet port for that
proprietary information........totally useless.

We're now swapping the H1000 for a Network Pilot computer with B&G to
go with our Network instruments so it will all work together. Further
investigation DID show Network will listen to our NMEA multiplexer
output for GPS information it needs to steer the boat.

ALL of them are guilty of trying to ISOLATE the customer so he must
buy all THEIR damned proprietary, incompatible equipment at
exhorbitant prices.....instead of using the STANDARDs......

The Garmin 185 will not get waypoint data from the computer or even
the company's own Yeoman because it ONLY gets waypoint data from its
PROPRIETARY GRMN protocol data..............

The Raymarine SL70CRC Plus radar wants to talk SeaTalk and only talks
NMEA 0183 grudgingly............

The B&G Network wants to talk Network...same idea.

They'll all keep playing this game as long as boaters keep BUYING IT.

On 4 Sep 2003 09:47:21 -0700, (Jim Woodward)
wrote:

Play with both user interfaces and, perhaps, Simrad, as well -- there
are real differences in the way they do things, not right or wrong,
just different. Then let your spouse or significant other do the
same. Pick the one you like best.

I dismiss most of the "this one is better quality" as the same as "my
Ford is better than your Chevy". There are subtle differences, but
they average out.

We picked Furuno for Fintry after looking hard at all three, but the
autopilot will be Comnav. These may not be good choices for you.
Aside from the fact that you may like another user interface better,
Fintry is a little bigger, a little heavier, and a lot more steel than
your boat.

The installation has to be competent, but it's not brain surgery.
Protected cable runs, away from potential interference. Beefy power
supply wires, appropriately fused or circuit breakered. Solid mounts
that can be easily removed for connection and maintenance. Good
soldering, where required.

The installation manuals for both Raymarine and Furuno are on line, so
you could read them and decide for yourself whether you're up to it.

If you have an installer do the work, make sure you see (eyeball, not
photos)other installations he or she has done, and talk to owners.
There's a lot of bad work out there....

Jim Woodward
www.mvfintry.com

(Tom Young) wrote in message om...
Anyone have a definite thought on the differences between a Raymarine
package and a Furuno package. I've got a new boat due in shortly and
I have been really hung up on the reputation and apparent quality
differences of the Furuno. But, I've got a dealer/installer claiming
the Raymarine is everybit as good and what really matters is the
quality of the installation and of course, his choice of installers is
him. I'm going for a radar/plotter/depthsounder/ autopilot with a
couple of repeaters involved. (36' boat-upper and lower stations.)

Anyone had a situation where they ordered the stuff from someone like
"Marine Electronics" or some other big discounter and had a FREELANCER
install all the stuff on your boat. What do the Mfg's do about
warranty when a "non-Authorized" dealer/installer was used. Isn't
most of this stuff "Plug and Play"?

Thanks for any help you can give....I'm sorta bewildered at the
moment.

Larry

Extremely intelligent life must exist in the universe.
You can tell because they never tried to contact us.