Ken

Default Marine VHF radio range? Type? Buy where?

Jim,
A pair of good marine handhelds would work fine over that distance, they
would be waterproof and would allow you to monitor the weather channels, in
addition to allowing you access tomarine emergency channels as well as other
boaters. Installation isn't a problem since there is none, using a hand
held at the cottage allows it to be carried to the lawn like a cordless
phone, plus they are easier to secure than a permenant setup.
Since your cottage is in Canada whatever licensing you need for marine VHF
in the States works up here. You don't need an station licenses anymore so
picking up a pair of units in the States or Canada wouldn't be a problem.
As to where to buy them, your choice but I would get them from a place that
you can get them serviced if need be. You may find that you can get better
deals in the US, you don't see them on sale much up here in Canada.
As to the Amateur solutions that have been suggested, I am a Canadian
Amateur and am a licensed marine Operator as well, so given my personal
experince with both, the cheapest, easiest and simplest is the marine
handheld that I have suggested.
Hope this is of help and if you have an other question drop me a line at ken
at starship.ca

"Jim Pratt" wrote in message
I would like to put a VHF marine band radio on my boat up in Canada in

order
to keep in contact with our cottage (we live in Arizona). The max distance
between these two points would be perhaps 3 miles, though most of the time
within 1 mile. What type of radio equipment would be the type to install?
Antenna (boat/base station)? Where would you purchase it from? Buy in USA

or
Canada and pay duty?

Thanks much,
Jim

Michael Daly

On 4-Aug-2003, "Ken" wrote:

You don't need an station licenses anymore so
picking up a pair of units in the States or Canada wouldn't be a problem.

You don't need a station license for the boat, but I thought you still did for a land
station. The latter should be hard to get if it's just a cottage contacting a single craft.

Mike
Jim Hollenback

Michael Daly ) wrote:
: On 4-Aug-2003, "Ken" wrote:

: You don't need an station licenses anymore so
: picking up a pair of units in the States or Canada wouldn't be a problem.

: You don't need a station license for the boat, but I thought you still did for a land
: station. The latter should be hard to get if it's just a cottage contacting a single craft.

Ah, but if your boat is from the US with a VHF and go to Canada you *do* need a
station license for the boat. The no station license applies only if you
remain in the US and only use the radio in coastal US waters. As for the land
station what ever Canada requires.I suspect that there is some sort of
licensing required.

--
Jim Hollenback

my opinion.
RB

Default Confused now! Need shore license??

I hate to say it, but CB might be a good answer with the range involved.

john s.

"RB" wrote in message ...
I hate to say it, but CB might be a good answer with the range involved.

Reminds me of the story of the lady who wanted to speak every day to
her son who was on an ocean crossing. FCC told her she had to have a
boat to use SSB. So she bought an Optimist, put it in her living room
with the SSB inside and started comunuicating wiuth Sonny....:-)
john

Ron Thornton

An emergency suspends the rules.

Ron

Doug Dotson

FRS radios work very well for ship/shore use. Cheap and reliable.

Doug
s/v Callista

"JAD" wrote in message
news
Richard, yes, technically speaking, it is indeed ILLEGAL to use marine VHF
frequencies on shore in ANY other circumstances except an emergency. It

IS
legal to use the handheld VHF from the dinghy or tender back to the

"mother
ship" or any other station. Climb in the dinghy, push off from shore, and
ouala!.....you are legal!

You would need a "coast station license." You won't get one issued

without
a valid reason, such as providing a service to other boaters such as a
marina or repair service. FCC will not issue a coast station license for
recreational purposes. At least they haven't in the recent

past....someone
may wish to comment further here.

LOOK UP the MURS radio service or the family radio service (FRS) for legal
alternatives to what you want to do.

Joe

"Richard and Michelle" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Hello,

In the US, will I need some special license to use a handheld Marine

radio
on shore to talk to the family in the boat? House is on Dauphin Island,
boat in Mobile Bay (Alabama).
Thanks,
Richard

Jim Donohue

This is one of those funny situations where ignoring the regs and doing what
is sensible will work with 99.9% liklihood. If however you are suspected by
home land security of being a fellow traveler to some nefarious group -
don't do it.

Jim (Who was very careful not to suggest that you ignore the silly
regulations)

"Richard and Michelle" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Hello,

In the US, will I need some special license to use a handheld Marine radio
on shore to talk to the family in the boat? House is on Dauphin Island,
boat in Mobile Bay (Alabama).
Thanks,
Richard

How many boats have a marine radio? Jerry Kurata General 17 June 22nd 04 07:19 PM
Emergency marine radio - aviation 121.5 radio in a pinch? Mitchell Gossman General 12 June 20th 04 04:56 PM
Marine radio Mitchell Gossman General 3 June 17th 04 04:53 AM
Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
VANISHED (stolen?)- a new (and unique) 57' Beneteau [email protected] Cruising 18 January 13th 04 12:26 AM