Mitchell Gossman

Default Emergency marine radio - aviation 121.5 radio in a pinch?

I'm an airplane pilot with an aviation Icom handheld that will
broadcast on 121.5. Any other pilots using this on your boat, esp.
when out of cellphone range, for emergency use rather than spending
the $$$ on a separate marine VHF radio?

Mitch
jim--

"Mitchell Gossman" wrote in message
om...
I'm an airplane pilot with an aviation Icom handheld that will
broadcast on 121.5. Any other pilots using this on your boat, esp.
when out of cellphone range, for emergency use rather than spending
the $$$ on a separate marine VHF radio?

Mitch

Marine radios are fairly inexpensive, with some under $100. Why take the
risk? Besides, a handheld has pretty limited range.

Rod McInnis

"Mitchell Gossman" wrote in message
om...
I'm an airplane pilot with an aviation Icom handheld that will
broadcast on 121.5. Any other pilots using this on your boat, esp.
when out of cellphone range, for emergency use rather than spending
the $$$ on a separate marine VHF radio?

Not being a pilot I am not familiar with what significance the frequency
121.5 has. It is certainly not a marine frequency.

If you were on a boat, and had an emergency, what use would that frequency
be? Would you expect other airplane pilots to respond and forward your
messages to someone who could help you?

If you are on a boat, I would think that you would want to get help from
other boats. For that you need a marine radio.

Rod

Marshall Banana

Also Sprach Rod McInnis :

"Mitchell Gossman" wrote in message
om...
I'm an airplane pilot with an aviation Icom handheld that will
broadcast on 121.5. Any other pilots using this on your boat, esp.
when out of cellphone range, for emergency use rather than spending
the $$$ on a separate marine VHF radio?

Not being a pilot I am not familiar with what significance the frequency
121.5 has. It is certainly not a marine frequency.

Actually, it sort of is. It's one of the frequencies that EPRIBS transmit
on, and is therefore monitored by the USCG. I don't know whether they
have the ability to respond on 121.5 though.

If you were on a boat, and had an emergency, what use would that frequency
be? Would you expect other airplane pilots to respond and forward your
messages to someone who could help you?

If you are on a boat, I would think that you would want to get help from
other boats. For that you need a marine radio.

Totally agree. I have a friend who insits that his cell phone is
sufficient, because he can telephone the CG. He doesn't seem to grasp the
concept that the CG can't triangulate your position from a cell phone, and
when you use the cell phone, you have no way of contacting the many boats
who are closer to you than the CG. It's foolish not to carry one because
of the cost.. You can get a handheld for around the price of a one hour
wet rental of a Cessna.

Dan

--
Beware of mathematicians and all those who make empty prophecies. The
danger already exists that the mathematicians have made covenant with

Mitchell Gossman

Because I'm cheap! If my 121.5 will work, that'd save $100 or more. Of
course, I do not want to compromise safety either. I was thinking
about going with a handheld marine radio - are they inadequate?

Just today, a new acquaintance told a harrowing story about being
under the Golden Gate Bridge with tide going out, lost his engine,
heading out to sea, no radio. Saved his butt with a trolling motor and
a paddle. Can you imagine boating the SF Bay with no radio?

Mitch

"Mitchell Gossman" wrote in message
om...
I'm an airplane pilot with an aviation Icom handheld that will
broadcast on 121.5. Any other pilots using this on your boat, esp.
when out of cellphone range, for emergency use rather than spending
the $$$ on a separate marine VHF radio?

Mitch

Marine radios are fairly inexpensive, with some under $100. Why take the
risk? Besides, a handheld has pretty limited range.

jim--

"Marshall Banana" wrote in message
Also Sprach Rod McInnis :

[...]

Handhelds are only backups because of their limited range.

Mitchell Gossman

Good points all, especially the "shouldn't have gotten into boating if
$100 is a problem". The fact that the CG is accustomed to the marine
freqs and apparently can do directional finding on your signal settles
it. Plus they can talk to GPS to give your exact position. However,
the 121.5 is a standard frequency, and the thought of going on the
cheap by using my aviation handheld occurred to me when I noticed that
marine emergency beacons use 121.5 as well.

This is just a 21 foot deckboat, but I can see a problem when I'm
along the shore of Lake Michigan or even on some of our bigger lakes
such as Leech Lake and Mille Lacs in Minnesota.

I'll post elsewhere on what a good unit is, unless there's fresh
usenet on that subject.

Mitch

[...]

Rod McInnis

"Mitchell Gossman" wrote in message
om...

I was thinking
about going with a handheld marine radio - are they inadequate?

The handheld marine VHF can be an excellent choice, especially in the San
Francisco Bay area. The Coast Guard stations are close enough and have
their transmitter/receivers at a tall enough elevation that a handheld will
easily communicate anywhere in the bay and for a significant distance off
shore.

The handheld also has the advantage of having its own battery source so if
your distress is the result of total power loss the handheld will still
work. Most of the Marine handhelds are also water resistant (which your
aviation radio might not be) which means that it will survive the wave that
sweeps over the deck. You can also take it with you if you are forced to
abandon ship.

If you desire to monitor the radio for long periods of time then a fixed
mount radio that operates off the boats cabin battery system is your best
choice.

Rod

jim--

"Rod McInnis" wrote in message

[...]

I guess it all depends on where one boats and how far off shore they may
travel. Hand helds have a 5 mile range, or so I understand. I always had a
hand held as a backup. We kept in the master as a weather alert when
mooring or anchoring overnight.

How many boats have a marine radio? Jerry Kurata General 17 June 22nd 04 07:19 PM
WANTED - MARINE BOAT USED HOUR METERS AND VHF RADIO, GPS [email protected] General 0 May 24th 04 07:47 PM
Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
Good Marine Radio? General 4 August 3rd 03 05:55 PM