posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Raymarine S1/ST6002 and NMEA

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 13:21:28 -0500, Geoff Schultz
wrote:

Rick,

The issue here seems to be with terminology. You have a S1 course
computer (corepack in RayMarine terminology) and some form of control
head. There is no such thing as a S1 controller. You probably have
either an ST70, ST600x, ST700x or ST800x (where x=1 or 2).

Whatever the controller is, it came with the Raymarine S1 Wheelpilot
that I bought, along with the rudder position indicator and fluxgate
compass.

The S1 corepack will translate the NMEA lat/long data into SeaTalk.

It translate a lot more as stated. XTE (Cross Track Error), SOG (Speed
Over Ground), COG (Course Over Ground), Track, etc. All the normal
NMEA stuff used by GPS chartplotters, receivers, black boxes, dat ting
what shows you where you be, where you goin' and how long it's going
to take to get there.

Note
that if the GPS antenna was connected to the NMEA input on the
controller, that it wouldn't translate (or even understand) it.

I wouldn't think anything could translate from a GPS _ANTENNA_. If you
mean a GPS unit that outputs NMEA, I don't see why not. As in the
either the computer, controller or an external NMEA to Seatalk
converter. That seems simple and straightforward to me.

The rest
of your data (depth, wind, etc) is most likely coming from SeaTalk
instruments and no translation is required.

Unless you have a NMEA speaking fathometer, wind instrument, etc.
Again, as per the manual.

Rick
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Rick Morel wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

I guess that you just don't get it. End of discussion since we're
talking at one another instead of to one another.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org
posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 21:13:24 -0500, Geoff Schultz
wrote:

I guess that you just don't get it. End of discussion since we're
talking at one another instead of to one another.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

I sure don't get it. I originally answered a simple questiion with a
simple answer, then had to answer it again and again.

Rick

wrote:

I guess that you just don't get it. End of discussion since we're
talking at one another instead of to one another.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

I sure don't get it. I originally answered a simple questiion with a
simple answer, then had to answer it again and again.

Rick

Rick,

You keep intermixing ST based autopilot controllers with the course
computer. Both have NMEA inputs but clearly provide different functions.

NMEA data (including GPS lat/long/satellite-info sentences) which is fed
to the course computer will get translated to SeaTalk and will be
displayed on all controllers.

NMEA data fed to an ST controller will get displayed on that controller
only, but will not get translated into SeaTalk sentences.

Also, ST series controllers do not understand lat/long/satellite-info
sentences from a NMEA based GPS antenna.

I believe that if you were to re-read this posts in this thread (I just
did), that my statements have been consistent from my first reply. This
whole tread was about connecting a GPS antenna to a ST6002 controller
(which won't work).

Finally, when talking about a "GPS", it's a good idea to differentiate
between an antenna and a chart plotter. Many people use the term GPS
when talking about a chart plotter.

I hope that this clearly summarizes this dicussion, as it's very
important to be pedantic when technical matters such as this.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org