Glenn Ashmore

Default Speaking of NMEA, is there a NMEA alarm monitor?

Almost all GPSs have anchor watch alarms and radars have range alarms but
they all put out a whimpy little beep. Is there a device that monitors the
NMEA data streams (from say a multiplexer) and make a noise that will get
your attention when it sees an alarm or MOB statement??

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

thuss

Sure, a laptop... ;-)

-Todd

--
http://boatblogger.com/page/thuss
http://www.marinewireless.us

Meindert Sprang

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
Almost all GPSs have anchor watch alarms and radars have range alarms but
they all put out a whimpy little beep. Is there a device that monitors

the
NMEA data streams (from say a multiplexer) and make a noise that will get
your attention when it sees an alarm or MOB statement??

Mmmm, interesting option :-)
I know that the Seatalk-NMEA brigde from Raymarine has a dedicated alarm
output. But this one only works on Seatalk alarms.

A microcontroller-and-electronics hobbyist could make this for a few bucks
though...

Meindert

Dennis Pogson

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
Almost all GPSs have anchor watch alarms and radars have range alarms
but they all put out a whimpy little beep. Is there a device that
monitors the NMEA data streams (from say a multiplexer) and make a
noise that will get your attention when it sees an alarm or MOB
statement??

--
Glenn Ashmore

I'm building a 45' cutter in strip/composite. Watch my progress (or
lack there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Yes, it's called a laptop, and you can connect MASSIVE speakers to it!

Dennis.

--
Satellite photocharts of the UK & Ireland
available, excellent detail and accurate

Glenn Ashmore

"Dennis Pogson" wrote in message
Glenn Ashmore wrote:
Almost all GPSs have anchor watch alarms and radars have range alarms
but they all put out a whimpy little beep. Is there a device that
monitors the NMEA data streams (from say a multiplexer) and make a
noise that will get your attention when it sees an alarm or MOB
statement??

Yes, it's called a laptop, and you can connect MASSIVE speakers to it!

Some how keeping a laptop running 24 hours a day for 3 or 4 days just to
monitor for alarm sentences when the job could be done with a fairly simple
circuit drawing only a few milliwatts seems more than a little bit
wastefull. Also the laptop may be subject to the idiosyncrasies of Windoze.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Dennis Pogson

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
[...]

I'm sure you are right, but picking up a GPS circuit is more than my limited
knowledge of electronics can manage, and as my laptop is connected to the
gps most of the time, it seems an easy shortcut.

Dennis.
--
Satellite photocharts of the UK & Ireland
available, excellent detail and accurate
calibration using Oziexplorer.
Remove *nospam* to reply.

Kees Verruijt

Meindert Sprang wrote:
"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message

Almost all GPSs have anchor watch alarms and radars have range alarms but
they all put out a whimpy little beep. Is there a device that monitors

the

NMEA data streams (from say a multiplexer) and make a noise that will get
your attention when it sees an alarm or MOB statement??

Mmmm, interesting option :-)
I know that the Seatalk-NMEA brigde from Raymarine has a dedicated alarm
output. But this one only works on Seatalk alarms.

A microcontroller-and-electronics hobbyist could make this for a few bucks
though...

Meindert

Well then Meindert, it sounds like an interesting addition to add to,
let's say, a NMEA multiplexer. You could programmatically tell it to
convert one of the NMEA outputs to an alarm, coupled to a relay if the
current needs to be very big.

Another idea would be to offer an option to switch this into the
external VHF speaker. Yes you're right a hobbyist can do this for a few
bucks but the market is there for grabs, most people prefer buying
something of the shelf!

Come on, why don't you add this to the next software release ;-)

-- Kees
Meindert Sprang

"Kees Verruijt" wrote in message
Well then Meindert, it sounds like an interesting addition to add to,
let's say, a NMEA multiplexer. You could programmatically tell it to
convert one of the NMEA outputs to an alarm, coupled to a relay if the
current needs to be very big.

Another idea would be to offer an option to switch this into the
external VHF speaker. Yes you're right a hobbyist can do this for a few
bucks but the market is there for grabs, most people prefer buying
something of the shelf!

Come on, why don't you add this to the next software release ;-)

I'm seriously thinking about it. But the only output available to do this,
is the one that is used most to connect to an autopilot.

Meindert

engsol

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 19:54:56 -0500, "Glenn Ashmore" wrote:

Almost all GPSs have anchor watch alarms and radars have range alarms but
they all put out a whimpy little beep. Is there a device that monitors the
NMEA data streams (from say a multiplexer) and make a noise that will get
your attention when it sees an alarm or MOB statement??

As Meindert points out, it'd be pretty simple with a microcontroller.
The most complicated part would be the user interface to set
what to alarm on, and the criteria, and even that isn't a big deal.
Heck, I'm retired and looking for a project...maybe I'll take a shot
at it.
Norm B
John Proctor

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
Almost all GPSs have anchor watch alarms and radars have range alarms
but they all put out a whimpy little beep. Is there a device that
monitors the NMEA data streams (from say a multiplexer) and make a
noise that will get your attention when it sees an alarm or MOB
statement??

Yes, it's called a laptop, and you can connect MASSIVE speakers to it!

Some how keeping a laptop running 24 hours a day for 3 or 4 days just to
monitor for alarm sentences when the job could be done with a fairly simple
circuit drawing only a few milliwatts seems more than a little bit
wastefull. Also the laptop may be subject to the idiosyncrasies of Windoze.

Glen,

Here is a scarry thought.

My wife went in for LASIK surgery to her eyes. Basically it a laser
procedure where they correct your eyes for astigmatism. They use a
laser interferometer to map the surface of your eyball and them use
mathematics to work out the sequence of laser blasts to ablate the
eyball surface to generate good vision. The gave her a DVD of the
process they did on her eyes and guess what? The whole thing is
controlled by a Windoze PC. I wonder what would happen if the blue
screen of death came up in the middle of a procedure;-)

--
Regards,
John Proctor VK3JP, VKV6789