Glenn Ashmore

"John Proctor" wrote in message
news:2005030907232116807%lost@nowhereorg...
Here is a scarry thought.

My wife went in for LASIK surgery to her eyes. Basically it a laser
procedure where they correct your eyes for astigmatism. They use a
laser interferometer to map the surface of your eyball and them use
mathematics to work out the sequence of laser blasts to ablate the
eyball surface to generate good vision. The gave her a DVD of the
process they did on her eyes and guess what? The whole thing is
controlled by a Windoze PC. I wonder what would happen if the blue
screen of death came up in the middle of a procedure;-)

I noticed to that when I got my eyeballs spot welded. But I had a couple of
Valums working so just bowed towards Redmond, WA and crossed my fingers.
:-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Wout B

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
Almost all GPSs have anchor watch alarms and radars have range alarms but
they all put out a whimpy little beep. Is there a device that monitors

the
NMEA data streams (from say a multiplexer) and make a noise that will get
your attention when it sees an alarm or MOB statement??

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Hi,
Talking about "decent" multiplexers, all our NMEA multiplexers have
"automatic GPS back-up switching" (plus many other NMEA sentence management
features). Read about it he
http://brookhouseonline.com/gps_backup_switching.htm . I have been
playing with the idea to add a buzzer to warn the user when it switches to
the backup GPS. As the "no GPS data" detection is already present, this is
very simple to do. If there is sufficient interest, we'll include it as a
standard feature. If you want it NOW, we'll add a buzzer to the present
model for a small charge if you decide to buy one.
Wout

Glenn Ashmore

"Wout B" wrote in message

Hi,
Talking about "decent" multiplexers, all our NMEA multiplexers have
"automatic GPS back-up switching" (plus many other NMEA sentence

management
features). Read about it he
http://brookhouseonline.com/gps_backup_switching.htm . I have been
playing with the idea to add a buzzer to warn the user when it switches to
the backup GPS. As the "no GPS data" detection is already present, this

is
very simple to do. If there is sufficient interest, we'll include it as a
standard feature. If you want it NOW, we'll add a buzzer to the present
model for a small charge if you decide to buy one.
Wout
Brookhouse

"Now" is a relative term. I have been working on this boat for 6 years and
am now in the "deep pockets" major boat bucks phase. It will be a year
before I could afford to buy one if you made it. :-).

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

engsol

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 11:59:17 +1300, "Wout B" wrote:

[...]

I think there's an important point being missed here, IMHO.
So far we have over-temp alarms, high water in the bilge alarms,
NEMA-driven device alerts, CO alarms, smoke alarms, low
oil pressure, and you can add to the list.

What's really needed is a thing called an announciator (sp) panel,
That's a 'thing' that tells you instantly what the alarm is, usually with
a big display (1 inch by 4 inch), and an audible 'sounder'.

Agree? Disagree?

Norm B

Doug Dotson

"John Proctor" wrote in message
Here is a scarry thought.

My wife went in for LASIK surgery to her eyes. Basically it a laser
procedure where they correct your eyes for astigmatism. They use a
laser interferometer to map the surface of your eyball and them use
mathematics to work out the sequence of laser blasts to ablate the
eyball surface to generate good vision. The gave her a DVD of the
process they did on her eyes and guess what? The whole thing is
controlled by a Windoze PC. I wonder what would happen if the blue
screen of death came up in the middle of a procedure;-)

I noticed to that when I got my eyeballs spot welded. But I had a couple
of
Valums working so just bowed towards Redmond, WA and crossed my fingers.
:-)

I've been running my laptop almost 24/7 for about a year and a half and it
has
yet to crash. I hope the eye doctor was running XP.

Doug

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Wayne.B

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 21:24:05 -0500, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

I have been working on this boat for 6 years and
am now in the "deep pockets" major boat bucks phase. It will be a year
before I could afford to buy one if you made it. :-).

==========================

Sheesh, even with all of those anchors I've bought?

:-)

Wout B

wrote:

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
Almost all GPSs have anchor watch alarms and radars have range alarms

but
they all put out a whimpy little beep. Is there a device that monitors

the
NMEA data streams (from say a multiplexer) and make a noise that will

get
your attention when it sees an alarm or MOB statement??

--
Glenn Ashmore

I'm building a 45' cutter in strip/composite. Watch my progress (or

lack
[...]

Sounds like a good idea, I'm sure it would be well received.
Wout

Dennis Pogson

On 2005-03-08 23:20:00 +1100, "Glenn Ashmore" said:

"Dennis Pogson" wrote in message
Glenn Ashmore wrote:
Almost all GPSs have anchor watch alarms and radars have range
alarms but they all put out a whimpy little beep. Is there a
device that monitors the NMEA data streams (from say a
multiplexer) and make a noise that will get your attention when it
sees an alarm or MOB statement??

Yes, it's called a laptop, and you can connect MASSIVE speakers to
it!

Some how keeping a laptop running 24 hours a day for 3 or 4 days
just to monitor for alarm sentences when the job could be done with
a fairly simple circuit drawing only a few milliwatts seems more
than a little bit wastefull. Also the laptop may be subject to the
idiosyncrasies of Windoze.

Glen,

Here is a scarry thought.

My wife went in for LASIK surgery to her eyes. Basically it a laser
procedure where they correct your eyes for astigmatism. They use a
laser interferometer to map the surface of your eyball and them use
mathematics to work out the sequence of laser blasts to ablate the
eyball surface to generate good vision. The gave her a DVD of the
process they did on her eyes and guess what? The whole thing is
controlled by a Windoze PC. I wonder what would happen if the blue
screen of death came up in the middle of a procedure;-)

--
Regards,
John Proctor VK3JP, VKV6789

Press cntrl-alt-del for new eyeballs?

--
Satellite photocharts of the UK & Ireland
available, excellent detail and accurate

Gert Been

Hi,
Talking about "decent" multiplexers, all our NMEA multiplexers have
"automatic GPS back-up switching" (plus many other NMEA sentence
management
features). Read about it he
http://brookhouseonline.com/gps_backup_switching.htm . I have been
playing with the idea to add a buzzer to warn the user when it switches to
the backup GPS. As the "no GPS data" detection is already present, this
is
very simple to do. If there is sufficient interest, we'll include it as a
standard feature. If you want it NOW, we'll add a buzzer to the present
model for a small charge if you decide to buy one.
Wout

Ehh, talking about "Decent" multiplexers: decent multiplexers have isolated
inputs, yours don't.

I just connected one of yours to a differential NMEA talker output. I can
now hear all NMEA data on my SSB!!

While trying to find out what's wrong, I found that all inputs on your
multiplexer have the B terminals connected to ground!!! NMEA inputs are
supposed to be isolated. Your grounded B terminals on the inputs effectively
short-circuit any properly designed talker. Was it that hard to add 50 cents
worth of optocouplers?

Gert