posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Raymarine S1/ST6002 and NMEA

Just got a S1 wheelpilot for my ship. Trying to plan the connections to the
other instruments

The S1 computer has got NMEA input and output, but there is also an input on
the back of the ST6002 control head.

Whats the difference between these two inputs ? If any ?? Can I use both and
maybe eliminate the need for a NMEA mux ?

Bjarke

--
Maxi 999 - 'Escape' - Hundige

posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Bjarke M. Christensen" Bjarke(snabel-a)grevestrand(punkt)dk wrote in
:

Just got a S1 wheelpilot for my ship. Trying to plan the connections
to the other instruments

The S1 computer has got NMEA input and output, but there is also an
input on the back of the ST6002 control head.

Whats the difference between these two inputs ? If any ?? Can I use
both and maybe eliminate the need for a NMEA mux ?

Bjarke

I have a ST6001, and it handles the following sentences:

Information NMEA 0183 data
Course Over Ground VTG, RMC, RMA
Speed Over Ground VTG, RMC, RMA
Cross Track Error APB, APA, RMB, XTE
Bearing to Waypoint APB, BWR, BWC, RMB
Distance to Waypoint BWR, BWC, RMB
Waypoint Number APB, APA, BWR, BWC, RMB
Apparent Wind Speed VWR
Apparent Wind Angle VWR, MWV
Speed Through Water VHW
Depth DBT
Water Temperature MTW

Note: The ST6001+ only decodes the last four characters of waypoint names.
This means that the last four characters of long waypoint names must be
unique for the waypoint advance function to work.

I had hoped to use the ST6001 NMEA input to connect an NMEA based GPS
receiver, but it doesn't handle the GGA, GLL, GSA or GSL sentences...

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org
posted to rec.boats.electronics

The manual gives a fine list of sentences supported, but it say "on the S1
computer". There not a single word on the capabilities of the st6002 input

Bjarke

--
Maxi 999 - 'Escape' - Hundige

"Geoff Schultz" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

My experience is that the list of supported sentence is all that the st6002
will support. It will not echo/translate them into SeaTalk sentences.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Read a lot of manuals and web pages last night. The ST6002 display
apparently have the ability to display navigational messages on the display.
The manual says "shows heading, locked course and navigational data, and up
to 7 data pages". Combined with your information that they typical dont
relay NMEA sentences on the seatalk bus, one could get the thesis, that you
have to supply the GPS/Navigator NMEA to both. To the S1 computer in order
to stear on the navigational data and to the display to (manually) browse
through the data on the display.

Would that make sense or is that to negative on Raymarine ??

Bjarke

--
Maxi 999 - 'Escape' - Hundige

"Geoff Schultz" wrote in message
.. .
"Bjarke M. Christensen" Bjarke(snabel-a)grevestrand(punkt)dk wrote in
:

The manual gives a fine list of sentences supported, but it say "on
the S1 computer". There not a single word on the capabilities of the
st6002 input ....

Bjarke

My experience is that the list of supported sentence is all that the
st6002
will support. It will not echo/translate them into SeaTalk sentences.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 07:48:00 +0200, "Bjarke M. Christensen"
Bjarke(snabel-a)grevestrand(punkt)dk wrote:

Read a lot of manuals and web pages last night. The ST6002 display
apparently have the ability to display navigational messages on the display.
The manual says "shows heading, locked course and navigational data, and up
to 7 data pages". Combined with your information that they typical dont
relay NMEA sentences on the seatalk bus, one could get the thesis, that you
have to supply the GPS/Navigator NMEA to both. To the S1 computer in order
to stear on the navigational data and to the display to (manually) browse
through the data on the display.

Would that make sense or is that to negative on Raymarine ??

Bjarke

No, you only have to supply NMEA to one. I have the S1, with the GPS
connected to the computer. The display shows the GPS NMEA info, SOG,
XTE, etc.

My experience with Raymarine, about 10 years, has always been that
NMEA data fed in will propagate along the Seatalk as well.

Rick Morel
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Rick Morel wrote in
news
My experience with Raymarine, about 10 years, has always been that
NMEA data fed in will propagate along the Seatalk as well.

Rick Morel

I also thought this, but was told by an electronics installer that the
st600x displays don't translate the NMEA data into SeaTalk. They only
display it. The course computer does provide the translation. I have no
direct experience with this, so I'd be interested in having this info
verified.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Anyway... it indicates that I should opt for feeding the NMEA to the S1 even
if the GPS is next to the ST6002. But's it's OK. I will need to bring the
NMEA signal back to the main wiring closet for other purposes anyway.

Thanks for your input.

--
Maxi 999 - 'Escape' - Hundige

"Geoff Schultz" wrote in message
Rick Morel wrote in
news
My experience with Raymarine, about 10 years, has always been that
NMEA data fed in will propagate along the Seatalk as well.

Rick Morel

I also thought this, but was told by an electronics installer that the
st600x displays don't translate the NMEA data into SeaTalk. They only
display it. The course computer does provide the translation. I have no
direct experience with this, so I'd be interested in having this info
verified.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 08:29:21 -0500, Geoff Schultz
wrote:

Rick Morel wrote in
news
My experience with Raymarine, about 10 years, has always been that
NMEA data fed in will propagate along the Seatalk as well.

Rick Morel

I also thought this, but was told by an electronics installer that the
st600x displays don't translate the NMEA data into SeaTalk. They only
display it. The course computer does provide the translation. I have no
direct experience with this, so I'd be interested in having this info
verified.

-- Geoff

I'm not aboard "home" at the moment, but I checked the manuals on my
computer:
The S1 has a single NMEA input/output to
receive and transmit information from
NMEA equipment.

S2 and S3 systems have two sets of NMEA
inputs/outputs to receive and transmit
information from NMEA equipment.

You can also use the SmartPilot with any navigator or wind instrument
that transmits National Marine Electronics Association (NMEA) 0183
data.
The SmartPilot control unit can display SeaTalk and NMEA instrument
data in a user-defined selection of data pages.

If you have equipment on your boat that transmits or receives NMEA
0183 data (e.g. GPS), you can connect this equipment to the
SmartPilot. NMEA equipment can be connected in any combination of
these ways:
• using the SmartPilot computer NMEA input/output
• using the NMEA input on the back of the SmartPilot controller.
(Refer to the Controller handbook for NMEA data details)
• using the SeaTalk/NMEA interface (part number: E85001) to convert
the NMEA data to SeaTalk data

I just remembered my GPS line ran next to the computer and hooking it
up there.

Anyway that last paragraph above seems to say it doesn't matter which
input you use, the unit will use the data when in the "Track" mode and
will display the data.

Rick
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Rick Morel wrote in
:

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 08:29:21 -0500, Geoff Schultz
wrote:

Rick Morel wrote in
news
[...]

Well, that's the way that I would like to think that it works, but I'm
still not convinced. As it says, "The SmartPilot control unit can
display SeaTalk and NMEA instrument data in a user-defined selection of
data pages."

I know that it can display the data, but I didn't think that the ST600x
controller converts it to SeaTalk. I just have this feeling that
RayMarine wants to see you yet another box to do the conversion, as
mentioned in the last bullet above (SeaTalk/NMEA interface).

-- Geoff

--
-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org