Default SPOT battery life

"Capt. JG" wrote in
easolutions:

but something changed and now it doesn't.

Just download Firefox 3. IE sucks.

"Roger Long" wrote in
:

I just realized that the SPOT probably doesn't have a GPS in it but
works like the cell phone GPS. All it does in tracking mode is wake
up ever 10 minutes and transmit a short series of numbers to the
satellite. One is the unit identifier and the other is the raw GPS
data received. This little burst probably takes a millisecond. The
rest of the time, it's just sleeping unless someone pushes one of the
buttons. All the position processing is done on the big computer back
in Texas. Everything except the unit ID, is input into the website by
the user so does not need to be transmitted.

It has a full GPS chipset in it. GPS isn't like the old receivers, now.
Once they have a fix initially, they resync in milliseconds as soon as the
3rd bird completes its statement. It's quite fast.

The GPS won't be far from its last position, so it doesn't have to do a
bunch of searching when it's in tracking mode. That's why the battery is
so long running. Then it goes back to sleep.

On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 08:46:44 -0500, Gogarty
wrote:

In article ,
says...
On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 17:23:09 -0500, Gogarty
wrote:

Same here. Nothing there. But then, I have never been able to make SPOT
display. I have Java and Java scripts up the gazoo to no effect.

What operating system and version of Internet Exploder are you
running?

SPOT tech support was quite useless. I am running Windows XP completely up
to date and Firefox 3 though I also have IE 7. SPOT won't show me a shared
page on any of them nor on my laptop which is running Windows ME. I just
get a blank page with the SPOT logo.

Something is getting in the way. I'm using IE 7 with plain vanilla
Vista on my home desktop with no problems. Do you have Firewall
software installed or pop-up blockers? I'd suspect something like
that.

"Larry" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in
easolutions:

but something changed and now it doesn't.

Just download Firefox 3. IE sucks.

Yeah, I have that as well as others, and it works fine with those.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 15:44:30 -0500, "Roger Long"
wrote:

I'm wondering just how much life is left after a summer of fairly heavy use
so I've set up a new page and started it running on the window sill. You
can watch it die he

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/g...eYWUa0SLl40PnT

This could rival watching paint dry.

wrote:

Same here. Nothing there. But then, I have never been able to make SPOT
display. I have Java and Java scripts up the gazoo to no effect.

What operating system and version of Internet Exploder are you
running?

There's only one[1][2] OS that runs IE, and it's not one of the good
ones.

Justin.

1. Many versions, but still the same OS
2. It did run on OS X too until MS stopped supporting it. It was *very*
bad though[3].
3. As is most MS stuff on other platforms.
--
Justin C, by the sea.

Yeah, so I don't like MS, you wanna make something of it?

Gogarty wrote in news:20081106-225644.290.0
@Gogarty.news.bway.net:

Nope. Have you noticed they have pulled the plug on Vista?

Correction - WE have pulled the plug on Vista. M$ is simply complying with
our demands....(c;

On 2008-11-06 21:01:26 -0500, Larry said:

Gogarty wrote in news:20081106-225644.290.0
@Gogarty.news.bway.net:

Nope. Have you noticed they have pulled the plug on Vista?

Correction - WE have pulled the plug on Vista. M$ is simply complying with
our demands....(c;

Oh, THAT I can agree with. I have zero MicroS..t products on our (now)
3 machines.

Just saw an Infoworld survey the other day that only 3% of companies
have switched to Vista in the nearly 2 years it's been out; 57% expect
to leapfrog Vista to 7.

Having done a switch from NT to XP in our company, they'd have to pay
me megabucks to do the same for Vista. And I probably would skip out
before they throw the final switch, as I've heard too many of the
stories.

--
Jere Lull