Default Around the world with NO instruments

Interesting two part interview with a gentleman who circumnavigated
with no compass, no sextant, and no clock!
http://furledsails.com/
Gordon

On 2008-10-25 14:09:29 -0400, Gordon said:

Interesting two part interview with a gentleman who circumnavigated
with no compass, no sextant, and no clock!

Now, that is just plain foolish.

--
Jere Lull

Jere Lull wrote in news:2008102519432016807-
jerelull@maccom:

Now, that is just plain foolish.

I was thinking "stupid" would be more to the point.

On 2008-10-25 14:09:29 -0400, Gordon said:

Interesting two part interview with a gentleman who circumnavigated
with no compass, no sextant, and no clock!

Now, that is just plain foolish.

I agree that when this equipment is so readily available one wouldn't
want to be without it. But listening to the guy talk he is able to read
his environment, he reads the sun, stars, and sea. I guess he's learned
the techniques of the ancients. To cross from New Zealand to The Cape
and be right on target when you get there relying on those skills alone
are amazing.

OK, I admit that without GPS his position fix is a lot more vague than
most are used to today, but, in conjunction with charts the information
he has gives a more accurate fix than many would expect. It's well worth
a listen.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

WTB: KVH Quadro Instruments Ted Dysart Electronics 2 April 5th 12 08:07 PM
Connecting all the nav instruments together? Brent Geery Electronics 5 January 10th 06 11:38 AM
KVH Quadra Instruments David&Joan Electronics 0 November 13th 04 12:55 AM
Instruments John Cotton ASA 0 January 7th 04 11:44 PM
Self contained instruments Ethel_thefish Electronics 0 July 3rd 03 07:42 PM