Justin C[_14_] Justin C[_14_] is offline

Default Around the world with NO instruments

On 2008-10-25 14:09:29 -0400, Gordon said:

Interesting two part interview with a gentleman who circumnavigated
with no compass, no sextant, and no clock!

Now, that is just plain foolish.

I agree that when this equipment is so readily available one wouldn't
want to be without it. But listening to the guy talk he is able to read
his environment, he reads the sun, stars, and sea. I guess he's learned
the techniques of the ancients. To cross from New Zealand to The Cape
and be right on target when you get there relying on those skills alone
are amazing.

OK, I admit that without GPS his position fix is a lot more vague than
most are used to today, but, in conjunction with charts the information
he has gives a more accurate fix than many would expect. It's well worth
a listen.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.