Dick Locke

Default Antifreeze Type?

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 20:11:48 -0400, "Jeff Morris"
wrote:

I'm in the middle of changing the antifreeze in my Yanmar 2GM20FC engines and am
curious if I should change type.

I've been using Ethylene Glycol, following the advice of a Yanmar mechanic who
said using Propylene Glycol would void my warranty. I've never been able to
verify that, and I'm now long out of warranty so I'm wondering if its time to
switch to the more environmentally friendly Propylene. I also think that using
the easy to dispose propylene would encourage me to change more frequently.

Secondly, if I do change, do I have to flush out all of the old, or is it
sufficient to just drain it?

TIA, Jeff

I'm curious, my Yanmar manual says to use water. My boat came with the
orange/pink antifreeze, though. I'm not in an area where freezing is a
risk so I have added occasional water. Gotta find that leak....

Navigator

Even worse are those that claim to be 'engineers' (with no
qualifications to back the claim up) and who claim to be successful at
'fixing' things...

Cheers

Evan Gatehouse wrote:

Do you have an owner's manual for the engine? It would probably tell you.
Failing that, contact a local Yanmar dealer. Mechanics are a frequent
source of misinformation.

Gordon Wedman

In terms of freeze protection propylene glycol would work just as well, in
fact better, than ethylene glycol if mixed in the proper proportion. The
"problem" with the pink propylene glycol is that it does not contain
anti-corrosion / anti-scaling additives that the green ethylene glycol does.
If you could find propylene glycol that was specifically formulated for use
in engines it would probably be OK. Most is sold for freeze protection in
RV and cottage water systems where its non-toxic property is needed.
As for changing antifreeze, the glycol does not degrade, it is the additives
which are used up over time. You can confirm this by having the freeze
point of your cooling system checked. If you constantly add water you will
eventually dilute the glycol too much and then it would need a change. The
additives would also be diluted this way. I imagine the long-life
antifreeze has more additive or a more stable type but if you frequently add
water you may negate this advantage.

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
I'm in the middle of changing the antifreeze in my Yanmar 2GM20FC engines

and am
curious if I should change type.

I've been using Ethylene Glycol, following the advice of a Yanmar mechanic

who
said using Propylene Glycol would void my warranty. I've never been able

verify that, and I'm now long out of warranty so I'm wondering if its time

switch to the more environmentally friendly Propylene. I also think that

using
the easy to dispose propylene would encourage me to change more

frequently.

Secondly, if I do change, do I have to flush out all of the old, or is it
sufficient to just drain it?

TIA, Jeff

Gordon Wedman

[...]

Antifreeze leak and boat leak Ree-Yees General 8 July 27th 04 12:18 AM
Q for Peggie re type I MSD and holding tanks Sven General 1 December 1st 03 05:47 AM
Diluting RV Antifreeze Eric G. General 3 October 18th 03 03:09 PM
Winterize - Antifreeze werlax General 9 October 13th 03 06:32 PM
Boat trailer bearings: Oil vs Grease, which type is best? CaptainGo General 5 October 9th 03 02:54 PM