Evan Gatehouse

Default Antifreeze Type?

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
I'm in the middle of changing the antifreeze in my Yanmar 2GM20FC engines

and am
curious if I should change type.

I've been using Ethylene Glycol, following the advice of a Yanmar mechanic

who
said using Propylene Glycol would void my warranty. I've never been able

verify that, and I'm now long out of warranty so I'm wondering if its time

switch to the more environmentally friendly Propylene. I also think that

using
the easy to dispose propylene would encourage me to change more

frequently.

Secondly, if I do change, do I have to flush out all of the old, or is it
sufficient to just drain it?

Do you have an owner's manual for the engine? It would probably tell you.
Failing that, contact a local Yanmar dealer. Mechanics are a frequent
source of misinformation.
--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)

Jeff Morris

I'm in the middle of changing the antifreeze in my Yanmar 2GM20FC engines and am
curious if I should change type.

I've been using Ethylene Glycol, following the advice of a Yanmar mechanic who
said using Propylene Glycol would void my warranty. I've never been able to
verify that, and I'm now long out of warranty so I'm wondering if its time to
switch to the more environmentally friendly Propylene. I also think that using
the easy to dispose propylene would encourage me to change more frequently.

Secondly, if I do change, do I have to flush out all of the old, or is it
sufficient to just drain it?

TIA, Jeff

santacruz

I don't know how color relates to chemicals - but a friend recently
bought a sailboat - turned out it had cooling problems that the test
runs didn't point out. It had green antifreeze in it. A lady capt down
the dock said you should only put orange antifreeze in marine diesels
otherwise they develop cooling problems from some silicate ?
pebbles/granules that develop in the coolant - so he drained it and
flushed it and sure enough there were handfuls of sand-pebbles
clogging it up. So I learned to use orange antifreeze - what do the
colors mean??

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 20:11:48 -0400, "Jeff Morris"
wrote:

I'm in the middle of changing the antifreeze in my Yanmar 2GM20FC engines and am
curious if I should change type.

I've been using Ethylene Glycol, following the advice of a Yanmar mechanic who
said using Propylene Glycol would void my warranty. I've never been able to
verify that, and I'm now long out of warranty so I'm wondering if its time to
switch to the more environmentally friendly Propylene. I also think that using
the easy to dispose propylene would encourage me to change more frequently.

Secondly, if I do change, do I have to flush out all of the old, or is it
sufficient to just drain it?

TIA, Jeff

Rich Hampel

Dont kinow about the color .

The pebbles and sand are calcium carbonate that 'precipitate' out of
the water when it touches the hot engine metal. Use distilled or
demineralized water to prevent this. Doesnt matter what color the
antifreeze is, if the water get super hot - out come the carbonates!
..... called boiler scale!

wrote:

I'm in the middle of changing the antifreeze in my Yanmar 2GM20FC engines
and am
curious if I should change type.

I've been using Ethylene Glycol, following the advice of a Yanmar mechanic
who
said using Propylene Glycol would void my warranty. I've never been able to
verify that, and I'm now long out of warranty so I'm wondering if its time to
switch to the more environmentally friendly Propylene. I also think that
using
the easy to dispose propylene would encourage me to change more frequently.

Secondly, if I do change, do I have to flush out all of the old, or is it
sufficient to just drain it?

TIA, Jeff

Keith

Orange is the Dex-Cool type extended life antifreeze. That's what I use in
my Lehman diesel, and Bob Smith of American Diesel said that was fine. You
still need to change it out every 2-3 years. I flush mine when I do change
it.

Wet liner diesels need a special antifreeze or an additive to regular
antifreeze to stop those little microscopic bubbles from eating away at the
liner.

--

Keith
__

wrote:

I'm in the middle of changing the antifreeze in my Yanmar 2GM20FC engines

and am
curious if I should change type.

I've been using Ethylene Glycol, following the advice of a Yanmar

mechanic who
said using Propylene Glycol would void my warranty. I've never been

able to
verify that, and I'm now long out of warranty so I'm wondering if its

time to
switch to the more environmentally friendly Propylene. I also think that

using
the easy to dispose propylene would encourage me to change more

frequently.

Secondly, if I do change, do I have to flush out all of the old, or is it
sufficient to just drain it?

TIA, Jeff

Dick Locke

wrote:

I'm in the middle of changing the antifreeze in my Yanmar 2GM20FC engines and am
curious if I should change type.

I've been using Ethylene Glycol, following the advice of a Yanmar mechanic who
said using Propylene Glycol would void my warranty. I've never been able to
verify that, and I'm now long out of warranty so I'm wondering if its time to
switch to the more environmentally friendly Propylene. I also think that using
the easy to dispose propylene would encourage me to change more frequently.

Secondly, if I do change, do I have to flush out all of the old, or is it
sufficient to just drain it?

TIA, Jeff

I'm curious, my Yanmar manual says to use water. My boat came with the
orange/pink antifreeze, though. I'm not in an area where freezing is a
risk so I have added occasional water. Gotta find that leak....

Antifreeze leak and boat leak Ree-Yees General 8 July 27th 04 12:18 AM
Q for Peggie re type I MSD and holding tanks Sven General 1 December 1st 03 05:47 AM
Diluting RV Antifreeze Eric G. General 3 October 18th 03 03:09 PM
Winterize - Antifreeze werlax General 9 October 13th 03 06:32 PM
Boat trailer bearings: Oil vs Grease, which type is best? CaptainGo General 5 October 9th 03 02:54 PM