Dick Locke

Default Antifreeze Type?

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 20:11:48 -0400, "Jeff Morris"
wrote:

I'm in the middle of changing the antifreeze in my Yanmar 2GM20FC engines and am
curious if I should change type.

I've been using Ethylene Glycol, following the advice of a Yanmar mechanic who
said using Propylene Glycol would void my warranty. I've never been able to
verify that, and I'm now long out of warranty so I'm wondering if its time to
switch to the more environmentally friendly Propylene. I also think that using
the easy to dispose propylene would encourage me to change more frequently.

Secondly, if I do change, do I have to flush out all of the old, or is it
sufficient to just drain it?

TIA, Jeff

I'm curious, my Yanmar manual says to use water. My boat came with the
orange/pink antifreeze, though. I'm not in an area where freezing is a
risk so I have added occasional water. Gotta find that leak....