Default Out out damned SPOT!

Egad, what stupidity - all this endless discussion about the SPOT position
finder that seems to work about as well as sextant that needs new mirrors.
Sad the amount of time and sailing quality wasted with useless gadgets such
as this abortion.

When is Skippy ever going to learn?

Loose all the extraneous crap if you are going to enjoy sailing.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 15:44:37 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

Loose all the extraneous crap if you are going to enjoy sailing.

You seem to stay pretty close to your internet connection much of the
time. Where have you gone on some of your recent sails and how did
you enjoy the voyage ?

My guess is that Skip has covered more water in the last three months
than you have in three years. Please prove me wrong.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
news : On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 15:44:37 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
: wrote:
:
: Loose all the extraneous crap if you are going to enjoy sailing.
:
: You seem to stay pretty close to your internet connection much of the
: time. Where have you gone on some of your recent sails and how did
: you enjoy the voyage ?
:
: My guess is that Skip has covered more water in the last three months
: than you have in three years. Please prove me wrong.
:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I am a 'pure' sailor. I sail for
sailing's sake. I do not sail on a schedule nor do I sail for the sake of
blathering about it to others. Nor do I wrench my shoulder out of joint
patting myself on my back. If and when it ever gets to the point where I
derive so little joy sailing that I have to spend valuable sailing time
blathering and bragging about it in journal form like certain people do then
I am intelligent enough to know I should give up the pretense of sailing for
pretense is what those who spend as much time bragging about their dubious
exploits than the actual doing of them all the while never learning a thing
about what sailing is really all about.

Let's say your guess is correct. But, I ask you what is three months in the
life of a real cruising sailor who lives aboard and sails and has been doing
so continuously since 1985 with about 11 years out somewhere in the middle
to earn enough to keep sailing when and where he wishes when the fancy
strikes to the end of his days? I further ask you who is the real cruising
sailor - one whose life is sailing or another who takes time out of his life
ashore to go sailing or cruising with every intention of returning to his
lubberly abode which he still owns in reserve?

That's what so few of you here seem to understand. Even if a cruising sailor
decides to not cruise for a year or two in order to pursue other interests
for a time he is still ten times the sailor as some lubber who takes a
sabbatical from his usual lubberly life ashore to go cruising for a couple
months at a time all the while catering not to a thorough enjoyment of pure
sailing or cruising but, instead, becoming totally involved in placing
himself as some sort of celebrity catering to a lubberly audience of
likewise wannabes. And to do this he burdens himself with all manner of
gadgets to keep in touch - an umbilical cord of sorts because he is too
afraid to really cut the cord and be entirely on his own. Skippy is not a
real sailor nor is he a real man until he can cut the cord and sail for
sailing sake forsaking the security blanket of what he thinks is an adoring
audience.

Wilbur Hubbard

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...
Loose all the extraneous crap if you are going to enjoy sailing.

As opposed to you? Who's doing NO SAILING AT ALL?

To say nothing of not knowing how to spell...

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I am a 'pure' sailor.

No, you're a liar.

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 19:50:27 -0400, "Bill Kearney"
wrote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I am a 'pure' sailor.

No, you're a liar.

Yeah, but he's a pure liar.

wrote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I am a 'pure' sailor.

No, you're a liar.

Yeah, but he's a pure liar.

Ummm... that's puerile.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Bill Kearney" wrote in message
:
: "Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
: anews.com...
: Loose all the extraneous crap if you are going to enjoy sailing.
:
: As opposed to you? Who's doing NO SAILING AT ALL?
:
: To say nothing of not knowing how to spell...
:

Dear Group,

Allow me to couch it in simple enough terms so even a Bill Kearney might
finally understand the simple reality of the matter.

The simple reality is a man who takes some time out of his cruising life
(but continues to live aboard and not at a marina) to pursue certain
activities ashore remains a cruising sailor while a man (like your hero
Skippy) who takes some time out of his life and home ashore to go cruising
for a short time and will return to the lubberly life in the not-too-distant
future remains a lubber. He is a lubber out cruising for a while. Nothing to
look up to in that respect. Nothing compared to me, a real cruising sailor.

So, to summarize, I am a cruising sailor *temporarily* engaged in lubberly
activities while ALL of you Skippy sycophants and Skippy himself are land
lubbers *temporarily* engaged in cruising.

As for the misspelling comment you are again delusional. Read the offending
sentence again. Use your imagination (in your case that might nigh well be
impossible). Read the sentence thusly:

(Turn) Loose all the extraneous crap if you are going to enjoy sailing. Have
you never read the sentence, "Loose me!" (Turn me loose)?

Now run along, to the back of the class with you. You bother me . . .

Wilbur Hubbard

wrote in message
: On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 13:08:38 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
: wrote:
:
:
: "Bill Kearney" wrote in message
: ...
: :
[...]
: Skip intends for his boat to be his permanent home. He sold everything
: he couldn't take on the boat.
:

Did he sell his house? I doubt it. I bet he has a bolt hole to return to
when he sinks his boat - probably within a year if he doesn't mend his
errant ways. Hopefully, he'll survive and be useful as rescue practice like
Skipper Joe was when he sunk Red Cloud and had to be lifted off via
helicopter rescue basket.

And, even if he did sell his house he's only been cruising (if you call
mostly motoring around using tons of electricity for all his gadgets that
distract him from real sailing, cruising) for about a year. Compare that
with my safe, silent, successful and sane record of active cruising of more
than 13 years. By that accounting I am 13 times the cruising sailor as
Skippy. (Which isn't really saying much stated that way, I must admit!)

Wilbur Hubbard

wrote in message
: On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 13:55:50 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
: wrote:
:
:
: wrote in message
: .. .
: : On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 13:08:38 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
: : wrote:
: :
: :
: : "Bill Kearney" wrote in message
: : ...
: : :
[...]
: It wouldn't fit on the boat. What part of "everything" don't you
: understand?
:
: Actually, I think there may have been two houses, and both were sold.
: His only home is Flying Pig.
:

I choose to NOT believe it coming second hand like that. I know how women
are. Lydia would never allow that to happen. Most any woman without her
*nest* turns out to be a psychotic bitch.

Wilbur Hubbard

Damned airboats [email protected] General 62 September 10th 08 03:56 PM
Don't buy a SPOT quite yet Roger Long Cruising 4 June 29th 08 04:25 PM
Spot the Errors!? Capt. Rob ASA 29 June 29th 07 12:17 AM
File Under: I'll be damned... PocoLoco General 5 September 21st 05 11:07 AM
On Topic: Damned and double damned... P. Fritz General 35 September 6th 05 06:10 AM