Default Solar Powered Anchor Light ?? Portable ?? Anyone know where this can be bought?

Looking for a solar recharge portable anchor light.

This would be a 360* white light, with recharge batteries,
and small solar pick up someplace..

Anyone know where this can be bought?

On Jul 21, 3:33*pm, "Thomas, Spring Point Light"
wrote:
Looking for a solar recharge portable anchor light.

This would be a 360* white light, with recharge batteries,
and small solar pick up someplace..

Anyone know where this can be bought?

There are suppliers of high quality lights for nav aids and barges if
you don't mind the price. A quick google gives this for instance:
http://www.premiermaterials.com/Prem...ials/solar.htm

We use garden lights on our stanchions for courtesy lighting but they
are not bright enough to be anchor lights.

-- Tom.

wrote:
Looking for a solar recharge portable anchor light.

This would be a 360* white light, with recharge batteries,
and small solar pick up someplace..

Anyone know where this can be bought?

There are suppliers of high quality lights for nav aids and barges if
you don't mind the price. A quick google gives this for instance:
http://www.premiermaterials.com/Prem...ials/solar.htm

We use garden lights on our stanchions for courtesy lighting but they
are not bright enough to be anchor lights.

-- Tom.

Why? I assume you already have an anchor light and a battery... why not
just add a solar battery charger and not buy all the extra stuff. if you
are leaving your boat alone you will want a bilge pump etc powered as well.

Bob Bob is offline

On Jul 21, 2:33*pm, "Thomas, Spring Point Light"
wrote:
Looking for a solar recharge portable anchor light.

This would be a 360* white light, with recharge batteries,
and small solar pick up someplace..

Anyone know where this can be bought?

Depending on your boat length teh uscg have specific spec requirments
for all lights on a boat. What ever light you get it must be seen
from N miles to comply. So now how ya gona determine if the light
complies? Some people place their life and other's life on an anchor
light. For example, Skip and Lydia bet their life on a light rather
than an anchor that is set and holds.
Bob

wrote in message

wrote:
Looking for a solar recharge portable anchor light.

This would be a 360* white light, with recharge batteries,
and small solar pick up someplace..

Anyone know where this can be bought?

There are suppliers of high quality lights for nav aids and barges if
you don't mind the price. A quick google gives this for instance:
http://www.premiermaterials.com/Prem...ials/solar.htm

We use garden lights on our stanchions for courtesy lighting but they
are not bright enough to be anchor lights.

-- Tom.

Why? I assume you already have an anchor light and a battery... why not
just add a solar battery charger and not buy all the extra stuff. if you
are leaving your boat alone you will want a bilge pump etc powered as
well.

I changed out my anchor light by using one of the LED replacements that
simply
goes in the same bayonet socket that used to be for the incandescent lamp.
These
are now widely available for about $20. The incandescent drew 10 watts,
and this
LED replacement draws a hair over 1 watt for the same amount of light.
Actually,
I think the LED is quite a bit brighter. Bottom line - I now run it for 10
hours
on the power that used to provide 1 hour.

I took a look at some LEDs for my running lights. I don't have the bayonet
sockets, fyi. They seemed to be not nearly as bright, so I pulled them out.
They make LED replacements with more elements, but they're much more than
$20. I don't think they're quite ready for prime-time for running lights
yet.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 08:53:00 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:
[...]

The anchor light, which burns all night with the engine off was my
first priority, and I solved that for $20. The running lights are not
run nearly as many hours, but do cost more to upgrade. Still not
terribly expensive, since you don't have to replace the entire
fixtures.

My running lights use what is called a "festoon base" lamp, which is a
glass cylinder with a contact at each end. I found some LED
replacements that were plenty bright for those as well. Those
incandescent running lights totaled 30 watts, or 3 amps, which on a
sailboat with minimal charging ability is substantial. Three of these
draws less than 5 watts total:

http://www.bebi-electronics.com/afamakuaka.html

Worth every penny, at least to me.

Yes, I have the same festoon base... flat, not the protruding ends of the
bulb.

Thanks for the website... I'll check it out.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Jul 22, 9:26*am, wrote:
http://www.bebi-electronics.com/afamakuaka.html

These guys are friends of mine. Really good folks and I use one of
their products in my anchor light and another in my tri-color. They
are very bright and use very little power. AFIK, they don't make any
plug in replacements. You will need to do a little (very simple and
reversible) surgery to install their bulbs in your hardware. I didn't
bother to replace my steaming light (mast head) or the bi-color and
stern light as I only use them when under power.

-- Tom.

Thomas, Spring Point Light wrote:
Looking for a solar recharge portable anchor light.

This would be a 360* white light, with recharge batteries,
and small solar pick up someplace..

Anyone know where this can be bought?

A garden light perhaps?

DP

"Dennis Pogson" wrote in message
Thomas, Spring Point Light wrote:
Looking for a solar recharge portable anchor light.

This would be a 360* white light, with recharge batteries,
and small solar pick up someplace..

Anyone know where this can be bought?

A garden light perhaps?

DP

=====================

Dennis,, I went to Lowes, Home Depot .. the garden lights were such junk..
hard to believe
anyone buys this stuff.. But the tech of the garden light is perfect.. A
little solar pick up,
recharge battery, and an LeD light perfect.

I may end up making my own... buy one landscape,, add an LED cluster rather
than the
one LED..

Thomas, Spring Point Light brought forth on stone tablets:
"Dennis Pogson" wrote in message

Thomas, Spring Point Light wrote:

Looking for a solar recharge portable anchor light.

This would be a 360* white light, with recharge batteries,
and small solar pick up someplace..

Anyone know where this can be bought?

A garden light perhaps?

DP

=====================

Dennis,, I went to Lowes, Home Depot .. the garden lights were such junk..
hard to believe
anyone buys this stuff.. But the tech of the garden light is perfect.. A
little solar pick up,
recharge battery, and an LeD light perfect.

I may end up making my own... buy one landscape,, add an LED cluster rather
than the
one LED..

I have 3 of http://www.outdoorlightingshowroom.com/driveway.htm
installed on deck, pointing in various directions. This in addition to
the CG required anchor light on the top of the mast, 65 feet above the
water where no one tooling around the anchorage at night in a dinghy can
see it. They are very bright, and last all thru the night. They are
designed to be screwed to your driveway where they could get driven
over, so they are tough. And I got mine at Harbor Freight for something
like $8 each, although the online catalog doesn't show them.

bob
s/v Eolian
Downeast 45, hull #11
Seattle