posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

Default plugs look too "wet"

"Chuck" wrote in message
news:5TSck.244293$yE1.55866@attbi_s21...
I have a Merc 60 Bigfoot, 3-cyl outboard fitted with NGK BP8H-N-10 plugs.
I think my plugs look too "wet" much like the third one shown in the photo
on the NGK website.
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf...200&country=US

Although the motor runs pretty smoothly. I running with a 130 degree
thermostat. What should I look at adjusting?

Chuck

Doesn't anybody want to know what the problem turned out to be?

scroll down................

down more..............................

Remember its a 60hp motor on a 24ft pontoon party boat. On the fourth of
July I had 14 people on it and THAT was the reason it felt so sluggish and
caused me to check the plugs, which is when I noticed they were "wet." When
I have a few people on the boat it cruises easily at twenty knots.
Yeah.... don't anybody say it......... go ahead..........

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 02:10:55 GMT, "Chuck" wrote:

"Chuck" wrote in message
[...]

Ah well: live and learn.... matching prop pitch to desired cruise
speed is almost a black-art....

Brian W

On 2008-08-10 22:10:55 -0400, "Chuck" said:

"Chuck" wrote in message
[...]

I won't, but thanks for the chuckle.

--
Jere Lull

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

Many engines are normally 'overfueled' so that the combustion chambers
get some affect of cooling by the excess fuel flow through. Also if
you were running with a heavy load and were thus 'lugging' the engine
(not able to reach full rpm) youll also get some wetness on the walls,
piston tops, etc. due to the unburned fuel because the engine isnt
running a 'top efficiency'.
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 21:15:18 -0500, Brian Whatcott
wrote:

matching prop pitch to desired cruise
speed is almost a black-art....

I though you gave it enough pitch just reach maximum rated RPM at WOT.

Casady

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 18:11:10 -0500, Brian Whatcott
wrote:

If you pitch a prop like this for a full laden boat - it can be dicey
with a light laden boat, don't you think?

The engine will turn more revs than redline at WOT

Brian W

wrote:

If you pitch a prop like this for a full laden boat - it can be dicey
with a light laden boat, don't you think?

The engine will turn more revs than redline at WOT

Brian W

Pull back on the throttle.

Eisboch

plugs look too "wet" Chuck General 36 August 15th 08 05:49 PM
"Jeffrey Boyd" is an anagram of "Midget Runt" in Japanese Steve Leyland ASA 5 October 21st 07 03:54 PM
Battery with "Double the Power" or that takes up "Half the Space" Bart ASA 2 December 6th 06 12:26 AM
Marinco 15 Amp "Marine Grade" 120VAC Receptical v. Leviton "terrestrial grade" Bob Boat Building 6 April 3rd 06 04:24 PM