posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

Default plugs look too "wet"

I have a Merc 60 Bigfoot, 3-cyl outboard fitted with NGK BP8H-N-10 plugs. I
think my plugs look too "wet" much like the third one shown in the photo on
the NGK website.
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf...200&country=US

Although the motor runs pretty smoothly. I running with a 130 degree
thermostat. What should I look at adjusting?

Chuck

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 23:37:37 GMT, "Chuck" wrote:

I have a Merc 60 Bigfoot, 3-cyl outboard fitted with NGK BP8H-N-10 plugs. I
think my plugs look too "wet" much like the third one shown in the photo on
the NGK website.
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf...200&country=US

Although the motor runs pretty smoothly. I running with a 130 degree
thermostat. What should I look at adjusting?

Chuck

I'm hoping you'll get a response from one of the mechanic types who
frequent this place. But, until you do, you might try this place:

http://www.marineengine.com/discus/m...79/12479.shtml

or:

http://tinyurl.com/5ulymj

If it were my motorcycle, and I had a wet, oily deposit, I'd be thinking of
bad rings. If it were a wet fuel deposit, I'd be thinking carb problems.

Good luck!

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 23:37:37 GMT, "Chuck" wrote:

I have a Merc 60 Bigfoot, 3-cyl outboard fitted with NGK BP8H-N-10 plugs. I
think my plugs look too "wet" much like the third one shown in the photo on
the NGK website.
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf...200&country=US

Although the motor runs pretty smoothly. I running with a 130 degree
thermostat. What should I look at adjusting?

Four stroke? If you, you've got a problem if it looks like that.

Maybe a valve not closing or oil leading past the rings.

Default plugs look too "wet" (two stroke)

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 23:37:37 GMT, "Chuck" wrote:

I have a Merc 60 Bigfoot, 3-cyl outboard fitted with NGK BP8H-N-10 plugs.
think my plugs look too "wet" much like the third one shown in the photo
on
the NGK website.
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf...200&country=US

Although the motor runs pretty smoothly. I running with a 130 degree
thermostat. What should I look at adjusting?

Four stroke? If you, you've got a problem if it looks like that.

Maybe a valve not closing or oil leading past the rings.

Sorry.......... damn, I knew i forgot something....... two stroke

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 00:15:24 GMT, "Chuck" wrote:

.. .
On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 23:37:37 GMT, "Chuck" wrote:

I have a Merc 60 Bigfoot, 3-cyl outboard fitted with NGK BP8H-N-10 plugs.
think my plugs look too "wet" much like the third one shown in the photo
on
the NGK website.
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf...200&country=US

Although the motor runs pretty smoothly. I running with a 130 degree
thermostat. What should I look at adjusting?

Four stroke? If you, you've got a problem if it looks like that.

Maybe a valve not closing or oil leading past the rings.

Sorry.......... damn, I knew i forgot something....... two stroke

Ah - well then... :)

It could be a few things - plug isn't hot enough, you have an oil
mixture problem (as in running rich) or you need to clean the carbs
out. 130 degree thermostat is about right for that size engine.

I'd try the carb route first if it's running ok - run some carb
cleaner through it and see what happens.

"Chuck" wrote in news:5TSck.244293$yE1.55866@attbi_s21:

What should I look at adjusting?

NOTHING! That's LUBE OIL coming up from the 2-stroke crankcase to keep the
bearings lubed up! Why screw around with something that's running great
with good lubrication?!

Why does everyone have to tear apart perfectly good working things and
screw it all up?!

If it's a 4-stroke, you have bad rings or valve seats.....my condolences.

A proper 2-stroke should be all gooey right to the end of the exhaust
outlet. If it's not, dismantle the damned autoinjection used to wear out
new motors fast so they can sell you more and premix the gas to 25:1 with
OIL COMPANY BRAND NAME TC-W3, not the cheap crap from engine manufacturers
the dealer sells! Engine manufacturers don't have oil refineries. Who
knows who made it....lowest bidder??

When I sold a 150hp 6-cyl Merc Sport Jet with 3 deuces carbs on it, having
run its whole life on 25:1, you could still see the hone marks on the
cylinder walls and every bearing in the crankcase was as tight as new....
(c;...hundreds of hours later after running wide open all that time.

100:1 is SUICIDE!

BTW - AMSOIL IS NOT AN OIL COMPANY!

the NGK website.http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf...aqread2.asp?na...

Although the motor runs pretty smoothly. *I running with a 130 degree
thermostat. What should I look at adjusting?

Chuck

Looks to me that it may just be loading up, like idling too long
before you shut down. Take the thing out, get it up to temp and make a
run with it, then shut it down and look at the plugs. If they are
still wet after making an at speed run, you may have a too rich fuel/
oil ratio, or a carb problem.

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 00:15:24 GMT, Chuck penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

. ..
On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 23:37:37 GMT, "Chuck" wrote:

I have a Merc 60 Bigfoot, 3-cyl outboard fitted with NGK BP8H-N-10
plugs.
think my plugs look too "wet" much like the third one shown in the photo
on
the NGK website.
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf...200&country=US

Although the motor runs pretty smoothly. I running with a 130 degree
thermostat. What should I look at adjusting?

Four stroke? If you, you've got a problem if it looks like that.

Maybe a valve not closing or oil leading past the rings.

Sorry.......... damn, I knew i forgot something....... two stroke

If it is wet with oil, you are either running over rich or with the
wrong ratio of fuel to oil. That engine probably wasn't meant to run
with resistor plugs, but I doubt that would hurt, either.

When did it last run correctly? What changed?

It ran great last summer. Admittedly it lacks a bit of power this season.
Could the gas be sour even though I used stabil? I am so accustomed to
looking at plugs on four strokes that when I saw those wet looking plugs I
was shocked. I double checked and it is the right plug for that model
engine. So in answer to your question.... what has changed is that the gas
has "aged." I will let it run down and refill with fresh.

wrote in message
On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 23:37:37 GMT, "Chuck" wrote:

I have a Merc 60 Bigfoot, 3-cyl outboard fitted with NGK BP8H-N-10 plugs.
think my plugs look too "wet" much like the third one shown in the photo
on
the NGK website.
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf...200&country=US

Although the motor runs pretty smoothly. I running with a 130 degree
thermostat. What should I look at adjusting?

Chuck

Before I got crazy and tried to "fix" a motor that was running well I
would ask, how far did you have to idle back to the ramp before you
pulled these plugs?
If this is running well other the entire range I might try a little
hotter plug, if it is loading up when you idle you could play with the
idle screws a little but be careful you don't break it.

I see your point about the idling...... it took me at least 10 minutes
running at idle rpm. I never thought of that. BTW, this is an automatic
oil injection system and so I cant adjust the fuel/oil mixture ratio.