Default Laminate Sails

I just bought a Genoa and Main from a "known" sailloft. The sails have
are built with this layered construction:
1. Scrim protective surface
2. Mylar
3. Fiber reinforcements
4. Scrim protective surface

Both sails have built in wrinkles or buckles in areas that I believe
are due to not having everything flat when assembling or drying the
glues. Also the genoa is on a furler and the inside layer (as rolled
up) seems to have buckled in small ripples away from the laminate
since I first put it on. These ripples are 1/16 or so high in some
areas of the sails. How common is this? Should I be concerned? What
does it do to the performance?

On 2008-06-22 14:01:16 -0400, thudbranch said:

I just bought a Genoa and Main from a "known" sailloft. The sails have
are built with this layered construction:
1. Scrim protective surface
2. Mylar
3. Fiber reinforcements
4. Scrim protective surface

Both sails have built in wrinkles or buckles in areas that I believe
are due to not having everything flat when assembling or drying the
glues. Also the genoa is on a furler and the inside layer (as rolled
up) seems to have buckled in small ripples away from the laminate
since I first put it on. These ripples are 1/16 or so high in some
areas of the sails. How common is this? Should I be concerned? What
does it do to the performance?

That doesn't seem right.

What's your sail loft say? In my experience, buying a sail
often/usually includes their sailing with you to see if they got it
right. I'd expect it with a high-tech sail.

--
Jere Lull

In article 200806221525398930-jerelull@maccom,

On 2008-06-22 14:01:16 -0400, thudbranch said:

I just bought a Genoa and Main from a "known" sailloft. The sails have
are built with this layered construction:
1. Scrim protective surface
2. Mylar
3. Fiber reinforcements
4. Scrim protective surface

Both sails have built in wrinkles or buckles in areas that I believe
are due to not having everything flat when assembling or drying the
glues. Also the genoa is on a furler and the inside layer (as rolled
up) seems to have buckled in small ripples away from the laminate
since I first put it on. These ripples are 1/16 or so high in some
areas of the sails. How common is this? Should I be concerned? What
does it do to the performance?

That doesn't seem right.

What's your sail loft say?

"It'll ride up with wear"

:-)

--
Molesworth

On Jun 22, 11:01*am, thudbranch wrote:
I just bought a Genoa and Main from a "known" sailloft. ...
Both sails have built in wrinkles or buckles in areas that I believe
are due to not having everything flat when assembling or drying the
glues. *Also the genoa is on a furler and the inside layer (as rolled
up) seems to have buckled in small ripples away from the laminate
since I first put it on. * These ripples are 1/16 or so high in some
areas of the sails. *How common is this? *Should I be concerned? *What
does it do to the performance?

I'd be concerned.

You're being coy, but I presume we're talking N****'s M******* *DL
sails. I'm going to work on that assumption. I'm also going to assume
that the problems you are describing are in the body of the sail and
not at the reinforcements or UV covers. In any case, these are
premium rags and you should get perfect sails and are justified in
demanding first rate support.

As you probably know, these sails are made on a mold using a vacuum
bag for clamping. Although there are some advantages to this
technique it has potential drawbacks as well. It is possible that the
buckles in the laminate are the result of a misplaced bag or breather
or leaks or poor vacuum control. Even when it all works as planned
the *DL laminate is thick when compared to laminates made in flat
sheets under higher pressures. This puts sheer stress on the outer
layers (taffeta) than you'd have in a paneled sail with similar
components when you roll it up and may be a particular problem with
M******* sails as they have extra taffeta layers. The ripples you're
seeing on the roller sail could be a result of too much stress either
because the panel is thinker than designed (ie. built w/poor vacuum)
or a glue failure. There are more benign possibilities, but I'd make
some phone calls and take some pictures right away.

Even if these are paneled hi-tech sails I'd get them looked over.
What you are describing is not expected behavior in new laminate
sails.

-- Tom.

Wood laminate over fiberglass Greg[_2_] Boat Building 4 May 7th 08 01:00 PM
Need Laminate Advice [email protected] Boat Building 10 June 4th 07 12:44 PM
Laminate mer Boat Building 1 December 13th 06 02:26 PM
Looking for wood laminate Sherwin Dubren Cruising 4 January 2nd 04 02:02 AM
New one on me - Laminate Flooring Black-n-Gold General 117 October 16th 03 06:50 PM