posted to rec.boats.building

Default Wood laminate over fiberglass

Hi,
I recently bought a 1965 Korsar 161/2' skiff (US # 6) It's in good
shape structurally but kinda ugly. I plan on refinishing the hull and
deck at the end of the summer. I saw a Flying Dutchman with a glass
hull and a mahogony laminate over the glass on the deck. I really
liked the way it looked. Does anybody have any experience at laying
wood laminate over glass ?
Thanks, Greg
posted to rec.boats.building

On Mon, 5 May 2008 11:15:59 -0700 (PDT), Greg
wrote:

Hi,
I recently bought a 1965 Korsar 161/2' skiff (US # 6) It's in good
shape structurally but kinda ugly. I plan on refinishing the hull and
deck at the end of the summer. I saw a Flying Dutchman with a glass
hull and a mahogony laminate over the glass on the deck. I really
liked the way it looked. Does anybody have any experience at laying
wood laminate over glass ?
Thanks, Greg

When you say "wood laminate" exactly what do you mean?

But in any event putting an ornamental wood surface on a fiberglass
structure is a fairly simple project.

You need to get the surface you are applying the overlay onto sanded
down to a good solid surface, no paint, loose or cracked gelcoat (in
fact it would technically be best to get down to the fiberglass) and
faired as perfectly as possible. As in painting, "what you see now is
what you will see when the job is done".

Depending on the thickness of your overlay you can use either epoxy or
one of the poly-whatever adhesives (Sikaflex, 5200, etc.).

The main problem is that once you apply the overlay you must hold it
firmly in place while the attaching substance hardens. This could
range from vacuum bagging to sand bags to mechanical clamps.

The problems usually arise in the clamping process in my experience as
the rest of the process is quite straight forward.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
posted to rec.boats.building
No Name

wrote:

[...]

Bruce, once overlay (teak) as been applied and a crack shows up in one of
the piece of wood, what is the best way to fix it so it does not aggravates
later. I my case I thinking of sanding it and apply three coast of Cetol
over it. What to you think?
Denis of Rothesay

On Tue, 6 May 2008 07:33:02 -0300, wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

It depends on how the teak was applied. Is it screwed down or actually
glued to the deck? How big is the damage? Is the damage right out in
the middle of the deck, or hidden away in a corner?

Most modern decks are only about 1/4 - 3/8 inch thick and the planks
are sawn from a straight piece of timber, planned to thickness and
then forced into place resulting in some pretty large stress being
placed on the "planks" as they are bent sideways (edge set) to follow
the curve of the deck. It is quite possible for a plank to split under
that kind of torture.

If it were my deck, and depending on how badly cracked and the
location of the crack I would consider routing out the crack, right
down to the deck and caulking the resulting groove. This should,
hopefully, relieve the stress on the plank that caused the crack and
if the routed groove is laid out artistically it might even look like
part of the original installation. Or, it might be possible to replace
a short section of one plank where the crack occurred.

You could also attempt to inject waterproof glue into the crack and
hope it stopped any further growth of the crack although this is
probably a last resort sort of thing.

What I would not do is to put any oil, Cetol, etc., on it until I had
decided whether a mechanical repair is going to be worth while as teak
is difficult enough to glue without added oil.

Of course, if it is just one little place in a corner somewhere then
Cetol it and nobody will probably ever notice.

So called "teak decks" are hard to discuss as they do vary a lot. I
have a small power boat that had teak decks that were nearly an inch
thick and a structural part of the boat. Most are just 1/4" strips
screwed down on the deck (that will always give problems at some date
due to leaks into the core) and newer designs seem to be just strips
glued to the deck. The latter two types being cosmetic only.

Basically you want to stop the crack, waterproof it and make it
pretty.

Sorry if I seem vague but it is difficult to diagnose without seeing
the patient :-)

Bruce-in-Bangkok
posted to rec.boats.building

I think I would use epoxy and 1/24" thick veneer. Any thicker and you would
have trouble getting it to conform to the hull. Any thinner and the epoxy
might squeeze through screwing up the finish. As Bruce said clamping is
the challenge. Vacuum bagging would be the easiest route but you would have
to do the whole hull in one bagging. The cured squeeze out would make it
impossible to fit the next strip if you try to do it piece at a time. Tight
seams are the key to a good looking veneer. Also, as Bruce said the hull
needs to be near perfect. The vacuum bag will telegraph any defect right
through the veneer and you don't have much material to work with once the
veneer is on.

I think you could dry fit everything and tape it down really well. It would
take a lot of pretty strong tape to hold everything in place until the bag
can be pulled tight which presents another problem. The vacuum will force
the tape adhesive into the pores so once cured you will have to scrub it
down with Goofoff or some other adhesive solvent before sanding.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Greg" wrote in message
Hi,
I recently bought a 1965 Korsar 161/2' skiff (US # 6) It's in good
shape structurally but kinda ugly. I plan on refinishing the hull and
deck at the end of the summer. I saw a Flying Dutchman with a glass
hull and a mahogony laminate over the glass on the deck. I really
liked the way it looked. Does anybody have any experience at laying
wood laminate over glass ?
Thanks, Greg

Wood vs fiberglass stringers Misifus General 9 September 28th 05 08:50 PM
Wood vs Fiberglass Danny Boat Building 9 May 13th 04 02:00 AM
Looking for wood laminate Sherwin Dubren Cruising 4 January 2nd 04 02:02 AM
Fiberglass on Wood damage timeoff Boat Building 3 October 28th 03 02:54 AM
Fiberglass on Wood damage timeoff Cruising 3 October 28th 03 02:54 AM