posted to rec.boats.building
No Name

Default Wood laminate over fiberglass

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
On Mon, 5 May 2008 11:15:59 -0700 (PDT), Greg
wrote:

Hi,
I recently bought a 1965 Korsar 161/2' skiff (US # 6) It's in good
shape structurally but kinda ugly. I plan on refinishing the hull and
deck at the end of the summer. I saw a Flying Dutchman with a glass
hull and a mahogony laminate over the glass on the deck. I really
liked the way it looked. Does anybody have any experience at laying
wood laminate over glass ?
Thanks, Greg

When you say "wood laminate" exactly what do you mean?

But in any event putting an ornamental wood surface on a fiberglass
structure is a fairly simple project.

You need to get the surface you are applying the overlay onto sanded
down to a good solid surface, no paint, loose or cracked gelcoat (in
fact it would technically be best to get down to the fiberglass) and
faired as perfectly as possible. As in painting, "what you see now is
what you will see when the job is done".

Depending on the thickness of your overlay you can use either epoxy or
one of the poly-whatever adhesives (Sikaflex, 5200, etc.).

The main problem is that once you apply the overlay you must hold it
firmly in place while the attaching substance hardens. This could
range from vacuum bagging to sand bags to mechanical clamps.

The problems usually arise in the clamping process in my experience as
the rest of the process is quite straight forward.

Bruce-in-Bangkok

Bruce, once overlay (teak) as been applied and a crack shows up in one of
the piece of wood, what is the best way to fix it so it does not aggravates
later. I my case I thinking of sanding it and apply three coast of Cetol
over it. What to you think?
Denis of Rothesay