posted to rec.boats.building
Glenn Ashmore Glenn Ashmore is offline

Default Wood laminate over fiberglass

I think I would use epoxy and 1/24" thick veneer. Any thicker and you would
have trouble getting it to conform to the hull. Any thinner and the epoxy
might squeeze through screwing up the finish. As Bruce said clamping is
the challenge. Vacuum bagging would be the easiest route but you would have
to do the whole hull in one bagging. The cured squeeze out would make it
impossible to fit the next strip if you try to do it piece at a time. Tight
seams are the key to a good looking veneer. Also, as Bruce said the hull
needs to be near perfect. The vacuum bag will telegraph any defect right
through the veneer and you don't have much material to work with once the
veneer is on.

I think you could dry fit everything and tape it down really well. It would
take a lot of pretty strong tape to hold everything in place until the bag
can be pulled tight which presents another problem. The vacuum will force
the tape adhesive into the pores so once cured you will have to scrub it
down with Goofoff or some other adhesive solvent before sanding.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Greg" wrote in message
Hi,
I recently bought a 1965 Korsar 161/2' skiff (US # 6) It's in good
shape structurally but kinda ugly. I plan on refinishing the hull and
deck at the end of the summer. I saw a Flying Dutchman with a glass
hull and a mahogony laminate over the glass on the deck. I really
liked the way it looked. Does anybody have any experience at laying
wood laminate over glass ?
Thanks, Greg