Danny

Default Wood vs Fiberglass

My son and I are planning to build/buy a couple sea kayaks. We can throw
them on the sail boat when we all cruise or use them here on the Columbia
River.
The point of gentlemanly contention is the issue of strength and durability
of wood compared with a fiberglass boat. Any stats or web sites that would
settle this for us? TIA

Brian Whatcott

On Mon, 10 May 2004 18:42:47 -0700, "Danny" wrote:

My son and I are planning to build/buy a couple sea kayaks. We can throw
them on the sail boat when we all cruise or use them here on the Columbia
River.
The point of gentlemanly contention is the issue of strength and durability
of wood compared with a fiberglass boat. Any stats or web sites that would
settle this for us? TIA

Both have catastrophic impact/overload impact failure modes.
Fiber glass is otherwise indefinitely durable, and easily repairable
compared with wood

Brian
William R. Watt

wood requires more care and maintenance to prevent rot
fibreglass boats are heavier
people who like the appearance and feel of wood and the lower maintenance of
fibreglass cover wood boats with clear fibreglass

"Danny" ) writes:
My son and I are planning to build/buy a couple sea kayaks. We can throw
them on the sail boat when we all cruise or use them here on the Columbia
River.
The point of gentlemanly contention is the issue of strength and durability
of wood compared with a fiberglass boat. Any stats or web sites that would
settle this for us? TIA

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Chris Newport

On Tuesday 11 May 2004 2:42 am in rec.boats.building Danny wrote:

My son and I are planning to build/buy a couple sea kayaks. We can throw
them on the sail boat when we all cruise or use them here on the Columbia
River.
The point of gentlemanly contention is the issue of strength and
durability of wood compared with a fiberglass boat. Any stats or web sites
that would settle this for us? TIA

If the good lord had wanted us to build fibreglass boats he would have
given us fibre glasss trees B-)

--
My real address is crn (at) netunix (dot) com
WARNING all messages containing attachments or html will be silently

Keith

....but he did give us termites!

--

Keith
__
"Chris Newport" wrote in message

If the good lord had wanted us to build fibreglass boats he would have
given us fibre glasss trees B-)

Karin Conover-Lewis

Hey, he gave us dinosaurs and sand, didn't he? ;-)

--
Karin Conover-Lewis
Fair and Balanced since 1959

If the good lord had wanted us to build fibreglass boats he would have
given us fibre glasss trees B-)

--
My real address is crn (at) netunix (dot) com
WARNING all messages containing attachments or html will be silently
deleted. Send only plain text.

James

"Chris Newport" wrote in message
On Tuesday 11 May 2004 2:42 am in rec.boats.building Danny wrote:

If the good lord had wanted us to build fibreglass boats he would have
given us fibre glasss trees B-)

What God wants, God gets.
God help us all................

steveb

Chris Newport freed themself from bondage, long
enough to scribble:

If the good lord had wanted us to build fibreglass boats he would have
given us fibre glasss trees B-)

lol .... and if He had wanted us to fly, He woulda given us tickets
Old Nick

On Tue, 11 May 2004 23:15:00 +0100, steveb vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:
uncap my header address to reply via email

Chris Newport freed themself from bondage, long
enough to scribble:

If the good lord had wanted us to build fibreglass boats he would have
given us fibre glasss trees B-)

lol .... and if He had wanted us to fly, He woulda given us tickets

Haha! We all got a ticket for ONE journey, man! Whether we fly or not
is moot....G

Sometimes in a workplace you find snot on the wall of
the toilet cubicles. You feel "What sort of twisted
child would do this?"....the internet seems full of
them. It's very sad